Contact Me

Thursday, May 9, 2024

Another Death, New Rollator

 Wednesday night, I think I went to bed before 6 pm woke at 11:30 and stayed up. See, it is hopeless. I sat here all night on the laptop. At 6 am and slept until 10:30. See, I try to sleep and the laptop viewing or TV viewing does not affect my ability to sleep at all. 

Today, we went back to Lowe's. No electric carts available. However, when we went there, the point was to get some sunflower seeds. I told Tommy to just the 4' ones. The 6' sunflowers are too tall for a pot! 

Then, Tommy asked if I wanted to go to the guy who sells produce from his yard. So, we went further into Bessemer. The guy had no produce out. Tommy suggested "going to the church with food." Months ago, we accidentally went by a church cooking outdoors and selling food for the building fund. It was delicious BBQ. Those people cook somewhere else. But, the minister of the church sets up two days a week for the building fund. We bought from him once and he nicely hit us up for a contribution, too. 

We pulled up, got the woman's attention when she finally looked up from her reading. We asked for a menu. She pointed to a sign on the lawn beyond the sidewalk. Neither of us could read it as it was sitting crooked. She was not very accommodating, slowly looking around and then going inside. He brought a QR code for us to use with a phone. I showed him my flip phone. So, he went back in and got his phone, pulled up the menu. 

I suppose I know what we will get every time now. We don't want the fish or ribs. So, a burger it is. We both had a cheeseburger. My cheeseburger had lettuce and tomato. Tommy chose fries as a side. I was debating and said I really wanted fries but should just order potato salad. He said he would just give me both at no extra cost. I told him just give me half portions of both. He said it would take about ten minutes. He went in to cook everything. Neither burger nor fries had been precooked. 

It was delicious.  We will go back, but not anytime soon. Next time, I will stop eating halfway through the burger. I will not order potato salad because it was soupy and sweet and I left it. Of course, neither of us wanted or needed dinner. For $26 we were well fed. 

However, before Elkhorn comes on, we will have prepared chicken, carrots, and potatoes in the cooking bag. The chicken was still very fresh. I still wanted it cooked. Of course, there is a thunderstorm and the threat of tornadoes. Thunder is rumbling. I hope we don't lose electricity before the food is done! Okay, food ready.

While Tommy was buying seeds, I called a friend. Her last brother was buried yesterday. She was crying. I was crying. She is the baby girl with her three brothers gone. One brother was a good friend, amazing singer. The other was a pilot. He was killed by being t-boned by 55-year-old female, active drug user as he was making a legal turn and she was driving wrong way and speeding. At his funeral I told her I always thought he would die when his single engine plane plummeted to the ground. We all could accept that. This last brother was the one I knew the least, but we were friends. 

She is so ill that I expect her to die any day. We both sobbed through the call. I promised her I would get her info for Meals on Wheels by tomorrow morning. 

We went to get a new walker/rollator for the one that broke. This one is so much lighter than the one I bought on Amazon. The other is 50 lbs and Tommy has to lift in into and out of the car. So, now we will keep it in the house for whatever, maybe when he has to push it on grass. 

 After knee surgery many years ago, I donated a walker with no wheels, a four-pronged cane, and a bedside commode. I n longer needed them. Now, I never get rid of anything. Inside this house, we have two rollators, one walker with two wheels and no seat, a four-pronged cane, at least six other canes, six grabbers--one in almost each room, and two lift chairs. I have a bedside commode in storage.  

Tommy came in with his dinner after taking the chicken from the oven. He had a plateful of food! I will get a bit of the cold potato and carrots. It looked and smelled great. Two breasts will be eaten this week. One will be saved for beginning of next week, and four breasts will be frozen. 

The noisy thunder and brilliant flashes of lightning are just about done. So, that is good. Today, was a good day. Only the news of a friend's brother's death dampened the mood of the day. Of course, I stayed away from electric carts! 

How was your day? Bargains? Bad Weather? Sunshine?

Do you have a cache of medical equipment at your home?


4 comments:

  1. I have a lot of medical supplies here from my various inflictions over the years. I just sold an extra pair of crutches and a walker at our garage sale. It was a beautiful day yesterday but it will be raining today when we depart for our vacation.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenlantern,
      I thought I responded to this hours ago. Walkers need to be replaced. We will keep the extra one for when one of the others break.
      Maybe you can drive out of the rain as you travel. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I have a pipe walker, a 3 wheeled walker & a nice walker with brakes and a seat. I also have a bedside commode. There are handrails around the toilet in my room. I use them! Also 4 hand rails in the toilet & shower areas.

    I have been thinking about donating the bedside commode but I may have a knee surgery in my future. It might come in handy. I did pass on the shower benches. Several canes, folding ones for travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      You are well supplied, too. If Medicare paid for the bedside commode or anything, they will not pay for it again. So, from then on I kept everything. We need rails in places.
      Oh, I need shower benches if I had a shower I could get into to bathe.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.