Contact Me

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Monday, Monday Was Not Good To Me

 Today was a horrible day! I went out at noon with no sleep and no food. I clutched a list of what I wanted to buy and where we needed to go. I had had no milk for several days. I could drink some of Tommy's milk but the ensuing pain and misery would be too much to even chance it. I mainly wanted fruit, milk, and flowers. Did I say I was miserable? We had a Whopper, Jr. for lunch. Being 2 for $5 helped us to decide on that for lunch. 

I went to Lowe's for flowers. We found a cart in the parking lot. Well, that involved sitting in the sun on a beeping cart. Everyone tried to make it go. Nope, not going. It seems that carts have a new technology. Well, they have beeped for a long time when you get to far from the store. Maybe it was not Lowe's. He brought me a new cart. This one refused to work even when the cart guy dragged the cart and me inside the perimeter of the store where it would work. The guy was all over me when he was pushing! 

Once I got into the store, the cart I had would only run about five feet once it was turned off and allowed to sit. I thought I would die of sunstroke in the heat and sun, so not feeling well enough to continue looking, stopping and going five feet. There were five carts, and none would run. A guy had to push me out the door. 

Next store, cart would not run, either. No carts. I tried to shop for flowers, but Tommy had done a return for me, so I spent too long and was ready to cry. I could not even get to the car. 

We went to Publix. Thankfully, everything went off like a charm. Tommy got bananas and found good Red Delicious apples while I got 3 half-gallons of a2milk, gallon of 2% for Tommy, bread and feta cheese, and educated the employee who got the milk from the case for me. He asked and said he was taking it home tonight to try. I have been wanting Mediterranean Pasta for a long time! So, I shopped for the ingredients. He was very much interested in the benefits of a2milk. I did forget two ingredients but wasn't going to cook Mediterranean Pasta for a few days. Tommy hates almost everything in this dish, but I will make it up to him. 

Since Tommy was using walker, and I was riding, he got the easy side of the store. As usual, he used the self-checkout. He is so fast and efficient. As we were leaving the store, I snagged a carrot cake bar and paid for it at customer service sine I could not bare to go farther into the store.

When we got home, I sat here for two hours and went to bed and could not sleep longer than two hours. Grrr!

Several months ago, I went into Lowe's, and the cart that ran suddenly stopped. An employee brought me another, dragging it! Well, it did not work either. So, two carts are sitting in the middle of the store. The third cart worked. The employee said he would move the carts. Of course, he pulled them both a few feet to one side. I drove off while three employees discussed what they were going to do as they strolled away. 

Today, I received the two Welch coupons, good until last day of the year. It is almost 10 pm. I have had four hours sleep in last 30 hours. And, I have no flowers. NO FLOWERS!

I bought a pretty blouse that does not fit.

Tommy got his own dinner. I have been awake for over two hours and have only had a glass of milk. 

Two of the flowers that I overwintered in the sunless utility room have a flower each. Then, I saw another. Tommy found an onion that was about a foot tall last fall and put it into a pot of dirt, So, it is blooming, too. The other two flowers are strange because one flower was 1.5 inches across. This year, the flower from that pot are a quarter inch across. 

There are other places with flowers, more expensive but more accessible. Not only did I want two for me, I wanted one or two for my 93 y/o friend for her birthday. Besides, the calibrachoa were not huge bunches of flowers in hanging baskets, just half gallon pots.  

On my way to a late nap today, I received a phone call. I saw it was my gastroenterologist, so answered, wondering what he wanted. Well, it was a woman who was very unprofessional, telling me something about death insurance for burial. She asked me my age right off the bat. I said, in a shocked voice, "So Dr %%%% is selling insurance now?" I knew better. She hung up so fast. His number showed on my phone when it rang, but on call list, it is a number from Ohio showing a bunch of names from overseas. I googled it for the names. Have you encountered this scam?

When I answered this call, I was exhausted. My voice sounded feeble and old and I needed to clear my throat. I had been sneezing. I supposed I sounded like I could be scammed. The one question and the change in my voice were probably the reason she ended to call so quickly. 

Monday was a full, tiring, weird day. I can only say that I survived this Monday. 

If you use an electric scooter from stores as you shop, have you noticed a great lack of charged carts in some stores?

Have you noticed a lack of huge hanging baskets of Calibrachoas or petunias? 

A woman in Lowe's, an employee in garden center told me Knockout Roses are no better than any others. Is this true? 

18 comments:

  1. I have received those calls- even from my OWN number showing up!
    In the scheme of things - your health or flowers - your health is more important. Flowers are pretty, but are not worth risking your safety for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used an electric cart one time when I had sciatica and could not walk much. It was an experience! The cart worked OK, but it was interesting to watch shoppers totally ignore me and refuse to make eye contact. This was Home Depot. The women were the worst. Even if I said "Hi" they looked away or right thru me. Your experience was much more interesting, LOL. Sorry about all that frustration. I bought a knockout rose 4 years ago and put it in a planter by my window in mostly sun. It did great until this spring. It was just beginning to put our little leaves and we had a late frost one night. That actually killed it. It survived all these winters of 0 and below, but not a little spring frost. So, I would have to agree with the employee, considering how expensive they are. I will not buy another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz,
      A woman on an electric cart is pretty much invisible. Sometimes, an overly friendly woman beams, leans forward and greets me with such an effusive display of friendliness that I am embarrassed. She is trying to make me feel seen and acknowledged. It is a bit of overkill, but I do applaud people like that. Just dial it down...lol.

      Hmm, the cold from a window in a warm house. That is strange. But, I will beware. I was hoping to keep it outdoors. That is not possible?

      Delete
  3. Knock out roses grow to be huge and have to be constantly pruned to keep them to any reasonable size. They do bloom quite a bit until the Japanese Beatles find them and then they are just destroyed by them each summer and the party is over.

    Yes the cart thing is very frustrating! I deal with it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      Thanks. You have given me more information than anyone else. Is there no way to keep them from being destroyed by Japanese Beetles?

      I was trying to be as self-sufficient as I could and not have someone else get it for me. Well, that backfired.

      Delete
    2. Nothing seems to help with the beetles here and since they are out at the street we just let them go for is and they leave our other plants alone. They prefer the knock outs for sure.

      Delete
    3. Sorry I wasn't clear. The planter was outside by my window/glass sliding door. Luckily, we have no Japanese beetles here. Aphids are horrible, though.

      Delete
    4. Lana,
      I might just try them and see.

      Delete
  4. I happened to see your blog today. We've had knock-out roses here since '11. They produce more blooms than traditional roses, much more prolific. They do need pruning once in a while, my husband is cutting ours down a foot today but it's been a few years. They are still only 3 foot tall or so, it's not that it's mandatory to prune them, it just keeps the tops from becoming straggly but not a big deal at all. I have traditional rose bushes as well, they are lovely and produce cherished classic large blooms. I would say the two bushes are similar but different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia,
      Thanks. Come back again. Thanks for the info. Lots of roses are good to have for me. I will try them.

      Delete
  5. P.S. We have not had a huge problem with pests on the knock out roses that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia,
      So, that is not mandatory with the Knockout Roses.

      Delete
  6. Sound like you're having a rough go of it lately. I sincerely hope things improve for you. The Universe seems to love to kick us when we are down. I hope tomorrow (or some day soon) provides lots of good and uplifting experiences. *hug*

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuesday was better, but no electric carts were involved in my day. Thanks so much for understanding.

      Delete
  7. It's called "spoofing." Scammers can trick your caller ID into using known or local numbers. My own number has been spoofed. I had an irate townsperson call me and ask why I kept calling them. I assured them I was doing no such thing, that it was a phone scam tactic, and that I had zero control over my number being used. Thankfully it stopped.

    I'm glad to learn all this about knockout roses. I will no longer be tempted to buy them.

    You can set out Japanese beetle traps to try to catch them before they decimate your roses. Not all traps work equally well, unfortunately. And the beetles have to be more interested in sex than food for the traps to work, LOL! If the pheremones in the trap are good, they will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of spoofing. I am willing to take my chances with the roses. Thanks.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.