Contact Me

Saturday, July 6, 2024

Rain Caught Us



 It's cloudy and gloomy today. About 4 am, the sky dropped out and we got lots of rain. Then, this afternoon, we went to get my Arby potato cake, to Walgreen, and Publix. All was well until we left Publix. Another gully washer let loose. We sat in the car for thirty minutes waiting for it let up. Finally, I tied a cloth around my head to go in. Suddenly, it was all a sprinkle.

Tommy leaves his walker in the yard. It was drenched and still on the porch. He brought it to my window where I quickly put all bags out the window to keep him from standing in the sprinkles left falling on him. I got in without a bit of rain. So we transferred all groceries to my walker inside the front door. He is using it now to replace the roach baits. I am still not convinced the roaches are all gone.

Last night a big outdoor roach walked out from under my chair scaring the living daylight out of me. Tommy used a reacher to catch and squash it. Then, he washed and sterilized the reacher that touched the roach. I know it came in the back door. Gross! I can see daylight under the doors. No, he is unconcerned. 

Obviously, rain and roaches is all I've got. How sad...lol. 

Shockingly, the mower came about 2 pm and mowed. He was supposed to come on Thursday. It rained last night, and i thought it was too wet. The yard once again looks lush and even. The yard next door is back to three feet high. 

I called about the dogs and no one returns my calls. I saw one of the women drive up, open back door and less than a minute later came out again. Since I was on my way into the house, I saw nothing else. Tommy said she sat in her car and talked on the phone for a few more minutes. She did not have time to even pet the dog. 

About the Arby's potato cakes--I love them. About 45 years ago, I would eat them at least once a week. And, I never gained an ounce and heart was fine years after that. I only ate them during a one-year period. Then, they discontinued them. They are back for a limited time. I had to have one. That is all I went to buy. But, they were two for $2.19. And, Tommy does not like them. So, it was potato cakes and me. They were full of grease/fat, salt, and carbs. Now, I have to mitigate the damage.

When I got into the car, the purslane was blooming dramatically, lots of blooms. When we returned as it rained hard, all the flowers were closed, looking very unhappy with the rain. The petunias were all beaten down, too. 

At 9:15 tonight we drove to house with patriotic inflatables. They were flat, so I suppose they are not going to inflate them again. Too bad.

Do you like Arby's potato cakes?

Has there been rain at your house?

When it rains so hard, do you sit in the car or run in? Or, maybe you can pull into a garage?

Need more reading? Now that people are learning about Project 2025, he is trying to deny it or change it. 

prpject 2025 trump rethinks - Search (bing.com)

12 comments:

  1. We had rain during the day on the 4th and again on the 5th. Lovely rain and needed.
    I would call animal control, the city, the county, police, whoever I could - each and every one daily until someone helps those poor animals. That is just beyond inhumane. I get angry every time I read about them. Poor things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I don't understand why no one calls me back after I leave messages.

      Delete
    2. They probably don't listen to their messages. Call the cops. Keep calling. It is heartbreaking!

      Delete
    3. Tewshooz,
      I suppose I will have to.

      Delete
  2. A lot of people are happy that Arby's brought the potato cakes back. They are delicious.

    Cheryl mentioned that they had a lot of rain this week too. Glad you were able to get your groceries in without getting wet from it.

    We call what you call outdoor roaches, country roaches. The ones here are wide at the back unlike regular cockroaches. I normally only see one in the house from time to time when it's raining outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Even though I am happy they are back, it for a limited time, I cannot indulge.
      I had to go to the bathroom so that I thought we were going to make a run for it.
      I have never heard of country roaches, but they are huge and nasty. Since I put out roach baits, I rarely see them. I need to spray the door sills, too. It was raining.

      Delete
  3. I love Arby's potato cakes! But my favorite is a McDonald's hashbrown & Dr. Pepper (extra ice).. but it's definitely not good for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      Well, I did not know about the hashbrowns! I have gotten Tommy where he does not order fries, so will be cautious about letting him know about the hashbrowns. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
    2. Hashbrown patties are only served at breakfast.

      Do you use any apps to earn rewards? I think I read you like Burger King? I'm gonna try their $5 meal deal for lunch tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. Tiffany,
      We are safe then as we never eat breakfast out.

      No apps. We do get the $5 duo deal and only get the 2 Whopper, Jr. This meal with coke and fries is new here.

      Delete
  4. I have never lived where there were roaches. Overrun with crickets when I lived in San Jose. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tewshooz,
      I thought roaches were everywhere. I have lived in places with roaches, but this is the first place with them inside.

      My daughter was terrified of mole crickets that got into the bathroom. I was, too.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.