Contact Me

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Frozen with Fear

 We did one chore today and quit! On the interstate it was raining hard. Then, there was only a wall of rain, blinding and terrifying. I quit breathing and said, "Oh, Tommy!" as we were faced with zero visibility. He said, "I am getting off!" As soon as we turned onto the ramp and off the interstate, not one drop fell on us. Since I had not managed to sleep one minute on Monday night, this was too much for me. 

We were picking up food for the family with five little girls, so this was an unnecessary trip for us. We had taken a chance and it was a fail. I called the guy to pick up the food, and he apologized for not being able to come. It seems he was on his way to ER and expected to be admitted.  He apologized profusely. 

I was so tired that I cancelled the rest of our day. Tommy was exhausted from working in heat and humidity. We did not get ads or bread, slaw mix, or pimientos. They can wait. I can wait. We did not get to the market for tomatoes. I will miss those and the market is not open until next Tuesday. 

I am completely free of needing the walker. Last week, I figured out why my R knee was hurting. When I sleep, I sleep on my L side, always. I have a little travel pillow I pull my R knee forward and rest on the pillow after I have mushed and folded the pillow. Well, I washed it and did not use it for three days, wanting to make sure it was completely dry.

When I went to bed that first night, I needed something to rest my knee. I grabbed a jacket made from sweat suit material and sort of rolled/folded it to support my knee and relieve my back. That is when my R knee started hurting the next morning, and putting my R foot on the floor caused pain in my R knee. It took a week of finally using the little pillow again to stop the pain. I won't make that mistake again. 

The thing is that there are two more of the travel pillows in the living room, one for each of us. Plus, there is one or two in the car. I think I slightly pivoted on my R knee one day. The doctor told me after the operation to never pivot on that foot in the least. I look pretty silly and incapacitated when I try to turn and not pivoting on that foot. But, I am back to my same condition as two weeks ago. I can walk without pain in knee and without walker! 

I did make several calls about the dogs next door. The best I got was someone would email the dog catcher. He will do something Wednesday morning. I called about my phone and was told I had never made the call I did two weeks ago. The guy did not call back like he said he would. So it goes. The cleaner did not return my call. We will give the food to someone else.

That was my Monday.

Have the heavy rains frightened you while driving? 

Is there one thing you can do to your body, something simple that will cause you pain and inability to function?

10 comments:

  1. Smart move going home. Your safety is more important that the stores. I am sure there is plenty of food there. Glad your knee is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      We were on the way home when the rain came. It was one of those forecasts that said popup storms possible. We would not have gone except to get food for these five little girls. I will give it all to someone else. We had been debating on whether to go or not. I am so pleased that my knee is recovered!Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I was caught in a fearsome summer storm with a van full of kids, just coming home from the lake. The sky quickly went BLACK, the rain coming sideways in sheets. I pulled off the highway and into a storage facility. I parked against a building so were were shielded from the angle of the rain. Then the hail started! I don't remember if there were tornadoe in the area; I couldn't get a radio signal.

    The hail/rain lasted about 1/2 hour, the sky started to lighten again, and then we resumed our trip home.

    The kids were not afraid and they learned a lot about how to handle sudden bad weather while on the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      That was certainly scary! Hail can be so dangerous, even in the car. I always talked to my children as to why we were doing things so they would learn. I am glad you made it okay.

      Delete
  3. PS: Very glad to hear that your knee is better and you don't need the walker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the walker is a pain in the neck to use.

      Delete
  4. I used to always have pain in my right leg, while sleeping, as that is the side I mostly slept on. Now that I have been using the grounding mat on our bed, zero pain in my leg. I'm glad you figured out something to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      And, sleeping on my leg does not make it hurt. Weird. I am glad the mat works for you.

      Delete
  5. Hubby and I were on I-40 going east across TN last Tuesday when we experienced the hardest rain storm. Shew. I was scared. It was one of those instances where everyone on the interstate has their flashers on and traffic is only creeping along. Thankfully, it did not last long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bad experience on 1-40 with blinding rain. When Tommy and I were in this blinding rain last week, neither he nor anyone else used their flashers. I have to tell him. Those rains scare the daylights out of me even when they are short! Glad you were okay.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.