Contact Me

Thursday, July 18, 2024

I Have Birds!

 Today, there was a high percentage of rain. We were in the car for four hours and saw nary a sign of rain. However, when we came home at 2 pm, and I took a nap, Tommy said it rained three times in the afternoon. 

I had to cancel my colonoscopy because I needed clearance from cardiologist. Called cardiologist, new one, who won't give me a clearance until I see him. 

On Tuesday I found the bird egg. I only saw one because I did not want to dig around. Today, Thursday, I checked on their progress and was so shocked by several furry birds. They are so cute. They were sleeping but started wiggling when I uncovered them. The mama bird went under something in the huge pot to make a nest and lay eggs. I still worry a rat might find them. I have not see a cat in several months, so maybe one won't sniff them out. The little house wren has done a good job so far. 

We collected two boxes of food today and gave all but two items to the family with five children. We kept a bag of nine apples and nine fruit cups. I will eat the apples and Tommy the fruit cups. In the boxes were ten pounds of chicken-thigh pieces. The guy was very pleased to get the food. So, that is our good deed for the day. 

Since it did not rain until later in the day, I am not sure why the dogs were not taken and yard and carport cleaned. We wait. Maybe tomorrow, Friday. But, there is a higher chance of rain.

I called my friend who is 93. She is plotting how she can get another car since her children came and took hers away. She says they just sit there at home and every day is the same, day after day, as she said. she and her husband are not taking their lack of the car well. 

So, I managed to call two friends and two doctor offices while in the car. I found out why the woman at cardio would not give me an appointment last December to get a Holter monitor. The np gave me a piece of paper with instructions that included a phone number to call and get the appointment and have blood tests, among other things. Well, it seems the phone answerers cannot make an appointment that is not noted in my records. That makes sense. But, the woman insisting I was wrong and was supposed to get another test is baffling. 

I suppose the np did not not schedule it. However, the woman has been an obstructionist every time I call. This woman today explained it all to me. How much easier would it have been to explain to me instead of arguing. The obstructionist told me she was going to note that I was uncooperative! That will color my treatment. I will take the paper that tells me to call and get the appointment so people will not think I am nuts next time I go in! 

Dinner: baked bscb, green beans, slaw, strawberries. I was not around when Tommy ate, so no idea what he had. I do know I ate from the bscb twice today, and Tommy ate for his dinner only. It was entirely possible for us both to have had the bscb for lunch and dinner, but he did not want any. 

I decluttered only a smidgen. But, I have managed to keep it from restarting in my bedroom. That is a plus. I will have the cleaner dust next time she comes. Everyone should dust at least once every six months. 

When I make two calls tomorrow, my list of calls will be finished. Maybe I will freeze the last quart of strawberries and buy more. They will be good one day this winter. 

Do you freeze strawberries for winter consumption? 

Do you ever have a mother bird build a nest where you can look in on her eggs and birds? 


 

18 comments:

  1. I always freeze strawberries! We have one row in our garden and have some friends who sell strawberries close by. I cap them, lay them out on a baking sheet to freeze, then put them in ziplock bags. Periodically, I will put two ounces of cream cheese in a bowl to soften. I mix a little bit of heavy whipping cream and a tablespoon or so of Pyure sweetener. I use about five frozen strawberries with this combo and it's a nice cold treat / dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I wish I could grow strawberries. That treat sounds delicious. I might try that. Do you thaw the berries or mash/chop them?

      Delete
    2. I put them in frozen, so it almost makes the other concoction like ice cream. I may let it sit a few minutes for them to soften a little bit, but I like it cold like that.

      Delete
    3. Alice,
      I like your technique!

      Delete
  2. I'm delighted to learn you have baby birds! They grow and change so fast. I also hope the rats don't get them.

    Today is the first break in the month-long heat wave that we have had for the last month. It's dry and only 77 right now. I have the whole house fan (attic fan) on and all the windows open so I can replace the stale air with lovely fresh oxygen. Ahhhhhh!

    I don't freeze strawberries for the winter. We don't do smoothies and I don't bake much with them, so there's no point. We do enjoy them fresh and in season, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      It is rare I can look right into the nest.
      Today it was 80F at 8 am, yet it will only get to 82F to 85F, then equally cool this next week. It is different. Humidity is high and rain expected. I like fresh ac air as pulling in air would bring in more allergens, but I remember fresh air from years ago...lol
      I do smoothies, but have lost my machine to make smoothies. I don't cook with strawberries, but i will eat half frozen strawberries in a bowl of milk.
      Fresh is best.

      Delete
    2. Oh how I love a nice and cool evening where the windows can be opened and all the fresh air moving through. Maybe listen to the sound of the rain. Lovely.

      However, our house doesn't have traditional 'raise them up' windows. They are long and slender and open with a round turny thing (they open straight up and down like the old window vents in car doors). And we don't have screens for any of them. -insert eye roll-

      Delete
    3. Alice,
      Mostly, I have heard of those mainly in northern places. Do you open them without screens? If so, do you get mosquitoes and other bugs in the house.

      Delete
    4. We don't open them. I wish we could, but the bugs would overtake us.

      Delete
    5. Alice,
      I don't blame you for keeping them closed. Can you get screens for just a few of them so you can get a full house breeze?

      Delete
  3. I don't go near nesting birds, because I don't want to scare the mother away. One year, a swallow built a nest on the upper corner of our front porch on our farm. Six babies were hatched, and they were adorable, but I only let the kids look from across the yard. I was happy to see them all fly away a few weeks after so we could use our porch again. I also learned to interrupt swallows when they started building nests on my porches. When she moved out, she left us with quite the mess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I am not a child. I know and respect boundaries with birds. Once every three days? She will come back if I frighten her.

      Delete
  4. Not adding to clutter is just as much as a win as reducing it, in my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww it's always nice to see baby birds.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      They have the softest looking fuzz right now. Sweet. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I feel sorry for the oldsters who do not take 'no more car' kindly, It is like cutting off your legs despite the dangers of still driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Their son and daughter came over one day and told them they could not drive and took the car. I am sad for their sadness.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.