Contact Me

Monday, June 17, 2024

Food

 Today, even though I slept a lot, I did get a few things done that I needed to do. There were things I did not do, either. 

I did call my dentist to talk with tech who cleaned my teeth. I did not like the toothbrush she had given me. Well, she gave me two, so Tommy will get the one I opened and stuck in my mouth. This is a toothbrush I can recommend since the best brush ever was discontinued. If you need a toothbrush, I recommend Oral B Sensi Soft. It is not baby toothbrush soft, but not brutal on my gums. They were @/ at CVS. Tommy kept putting off going when they were 40% off last week. I do need to call back and get xray. 

We bought two ears of corn and 4 huge tomatoes last week, Tuesday, at the farmer's market and cut a tomato yesterday and the corn today. The corn had many worms and the tomatoes need to be eaten by tomorrow, market day once again. The corn was tossed. My chickens would have loved the worms on the corn and the corn.

Tommy only was asked to water the three hanging baskets. He watered the knockout rose and reported a rose about to bloom and more blossoms appearing. Good, all the ones fell off that were on the bush when I brought it home. He watered the Stella d' Oro, too. It is ready to bloom again. I hate for him to go out in the heat to water plants with half-gallon juice bottles. 

Today, I made a concerted effort to declutter the two tables beside me. They are cluttered easily and all the time, it seems. 

Tonight, I made cole slaw again. It is some of the best I have made. I quit putting so much vinegar in my slaw, so it tastes sweeter, not sugary, just not vinegar-y. Dinner--chicken tenders baked and coated with taste, two helping of slaw, tomato on the plate. Then, I made an open-faced tomato sandwich with one slice of bread, thick slice of tomato that covered the whole slice that had Miracle Whip on it. I ate it with a knife and fork.  Since I did not want to eat two slices of bread, I decided open-faced would work. It did. 

Tommy had chicken thigh, carrots, potatoes, and slaw. 

When I was about 15 or so, I ate 7 tomato sandwiches after dinner--bread, tomato, and Miracle Whip. My mother kept asking me if I was still hungry each time I made another. Yes, I was. I still did not weigh a hundred pounds yet. I only weighed 110 lbs. when I graduated. Maybe I just loved tomato sandwiches after the second one. But, I was 5' 7 1/2 inches. Maybe I will cook bacon tomorrow. 

When we cleared the freezer of food we did not need, I found a huge turkey breast. Cleaner said it looked so large she thought it was a turkey. When we have enough room in the refrigerator, we will thaw it and cook it. Then, I will slice some and leave some in chunks for meals. Of course, most of it will go into the freezer. But, I will be able to freeze my ice-cream freezer and make ice cream. I need to go weigh myself. 

The Giveaway. I am going to a rodeo this week, but it has no horses or cows. If you can guess what kind of rodeo, I will send you a prize. Look for the rest of the information here and put guess here--PRACTICAL PARSIMONY: I Finally Did It and a Giveaway (practical-parsimony.blogspot.com)

I will try to sleep tonight instead of all day tomorrow. I don't actually sleep all night, just get up without enough sleep, stay up and then take a nap.  Tomorrow, I have a few plans as well as phone calls to make.

What is in your future tomorrow? Heat and more heat?


6 comments:

  1. The Amish often use 1 slice of bread for sandwiches. They will use a lettece leaf for the top slice if having to take it with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      That is both clever and healthy. Thanks for that information.

      Delete
  2. I love tomato sandwiches and so does Bailey, They are just delicious. Your dinner yesterday sounds delicious, I like chicken and cole slaw too. Too bad you had to toss th corn. They are selling it here on the roadside 12 ears for $8.00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Thank goodness I only paid $1.50 for two ears. I am looking forward to the same meal tonight. Chicken cannot be beat in my book.

      Delete
  3. We always had open faced sandwiches when I was growing up. I love tomato sandwiches on fresh homemade white bread and warm from the garden tomatoes with lots of fresh ground pepper. Always used Hellman's Real Mayonnaise, still do. Now my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz,
      Just thinking about the smell of a fresh tomato makes my mouth water.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.