Contact Me

Sunday, June 9, 2024

A Pain & A Project

 Saturday was a good day. Nothing happened which was okay. We did go out for bananas and bread. He brought out bananas, Chips Ahoy cookies, and ice cream. Oh well. I will be strong and eat little and not very often The bag said 'Improved" which I thought meant they had ruined the cookies. They did not, thankfully.

We stayed home except for the Publix trip and a cruise around part of the neighborhood. I wanted to see if any other yard was so awful as the one next door. I had no intention of reporting anyone. Nope, this yard is by far the worst. We just got lucky. 

I awoke with a terrible pain in my flank, not quite like a kidney. Within moments of getting out of bed, it was all down the front of my body on that side from breast to leg. Lifting my arm is excruciating. I can only imagine it is a pulled muscle. Sometimes when I lean over the right side of my chair, trying to get something off the floor, I have a muscle twinge. 

The AARP Bulletin, the newsprint edition June 2024, has a focus on pain. I intend to read that carefully. Since I was seven, I have suffered a particular pain that my mother fussed at me for complaining about. I had a cut on the base of my thumb that needed stitches. From then on, anytime a sibling touched it, I cried and complained. My mother told me to quit complaining because she thought I wanted attention. When I was about 30, she suffered a horrendous pain to her hand when she picked up a 2 L Coke bottle from a shelf in her pantry that exploded in her hand. A year later after a long and painful recovery, she said she needed to apologize to me for thinking I was trying to get attention for pain. She said it hurt her every time she picked up anything or a dishcloth rubbed across the scar on the back of her hand.  It took another injury to nerves in that hand to stop my pain at the scar in my fifties. 

Pain is weird in its manifestation. Having fibromyalgia does not help at all. Not every scar hurt past the healing, just the one on my hand. 

The cleaner was supposed to come at 4 when she got off work. But, she never came. I wonder why. She will probably come after church tomorrow. 

Tommy's monitor keeps him on his toes. His blood sugar dropped from 70 to 50 in the few minutes it takes him to grab something to eat. He is now wondering why he can tell nothing about what his body is doing. I do, too. But, it is much more pleasant around here and not frightening when he drives. 

Now that the gate is replaced, the next project is removing the shed on a concrete pad. It will be a multi-step project, so I must find an electrician first. It has a bulb socket in it. Hopefully, the electrician will be the only person we have to pay. Someone can have it for scrap to sell. First, I have to get the tools we want out of the ruins of the shed. It is metal, so someone should want it for scrap. I am considering a plastic shed. Has anyone had any experience with a plastic shed?

When we went out at 7:15 tonight to go to store, I was shocked it was so bright and sunny. No clouds helped. No one was in the park, so serene. 

Until June 12, Publix has a coupon for $4 off Nature Made vitamins, and minerals. I used one coupon on multiple bottles. Nature Made is my preferred brand for Vit D and such. It is in a separate ad for coupons, a slick ad. 

I saw a cute video of a toddler seeing her mother's postpartum body in a rather tight outfit. The little girl said something to the effect of "You have another one in there?" I don't think she was thrilled.

Have you had a pain that continues with no abatement no matter the effort you make to subdue it? 

Have you ever had a child comment on your pregnant or postpartum body? I have. 

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear Tommy's monitor is helping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really helps to keep him safe, consequently helping me, both of actually to be calm. Now, he is wondering why he cannot tell like I can for myself and for him.

      Delete
  2. How are you feeling today? I hope you are doing much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      It seems my allergies are not bad at all. I suppose this debilitating pain is still with me. Thanks for asking. I seem to be able to keep my balance.

      Delete
  3. I read that there are some diabetics that cannot tell when blood sugar drops. There is a name for that, but at the moment it escapes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz,
      I read that about 2% cannot tell when their blood sugar rises or drops. I don't know a name for that except for 'dangerous.'

      Delete
    2. Not only that, but as blood sugar rapidly drops, patients get aggressive and combative. Something you have described when Tommy's glucose gets low quickly.

      Delete
    3. Tewshooz,
      It has bee a nightmare.

      Delete
  4. I received a question about my "pregnancy" when I returned to work after my hysterectomy. I didn't blame him. I gained close to 40 pounds during those 6 weeks! Hormones or lack of hormones sure make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      You gained 40 pounds!? How awful! I suppose he was puzzled.

      Delete
  5. Getting the monitor is the best thing Tommy has ever done.
    My children were all too young to pay much attention to my postpartum body but they made plenty of general comments about it in the years that came after!
    I actually can't remember what they said though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie,
      The monitor is definitely the best thing he has ever done!
      My daughter was five, the only one who ever said anything, but she was hilarious.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.