Contact Me

Thursday, February 1, 2024

What We Did Today--Important, But Not Much in the Grand Scheme of Things

 


We manage to do a bit each day, somedays more than others. Today was not a stellar day for getting things done. However, I am pleased. 

Since I went to bed at 9 pm last night, I was awake at 12:30. I still felt ill. But, somehow felt better before I went back to sleep. By the time I woke at 11:30 am, I felt like I was well. I suppose it was a delayed reaction the covid vaccine. However, I did have Tommy get the specimen cup from the doctor, and we returned that to the doctor. I may still have a uti.

He made a return for me. I looked for a battery for his flip phone. I called a cell store and found a $25 battery for his $29 phone. Instead, I ordered one for $10 from Amazon. So, he won't have a phone until Saturday. I wondered why he kept his phone plugged up so much. Now, I know. 

I sent him into Publix for carrots and Lysol wipes. Publix sent me an email saying to clip a coupon and pick up a free Salsa bouquet. I did. He did. It is very pretty, festive, cheerful. 

My back is hurting worse today. His little finger has a huge, infected pocket behind the moon. He said he knew he hit his finger, but only until the day after did it hurt so much. Of course, then he looked at it and showed me. I will doctor it until tomorrow and lance it, clean it, medicate it with mupirocin, bandage it. I know it really hurt if he showed me and submitted to my ministering to it. Those things always hurt.

Tonight, I put six boneless, skinless thighs and six bone-in and skin-on thighs into a cooking bag with a whole pound of carrots and four huge potatoes and celery. The potatoes were cut into round pieces about an inch thick. Everything was seasoned with garlic powder and onion powder. I will freeze most of the meat, two thighs at a time for Tommy. We will just eat the vegetables and not freeze them unless Tommy wants some in with each of his thighs. He said he wanted potatoes and carrot in with each thigh, so he will have six meals in the freezer. 

If he has meat and vegetables, I can eat a grilled cheese sandwich for supper rather than cook. But, I won't offer one to him. When I offer him less than meat and vegetables, he sounds so sad but agrees to it. He is always willing to cheerfully help me to cook. Of course, something like taco soup that does have meat is okay with him. 

Just now, he searched for frozen chicken breast for me. He found enough for three meals for me. Plus, he took out two packages of raw, frozen breasts. So, I will cook those Saturday, probably alone. There is enough for meals for three days, protein and vegetables, but I will get this done, so it does not have to be done later. 

Sunday, when it is raining and we have nowhere to go, we have decided to try and sort part of the freezer and the little freezer in his refrigerator. We will get two boxes, one on his walker and the other next to freezer on the counter. I can pull it out. We hope to separate cooked meat from frozen meat. There is no way we can work on the lower two thirds of the freezer. We still need someone to get that out. 

I was looking in the freezer a few days ago, poking around and found two slices of bread frozen. I took that out and Tommy ate it. This was from back when the freezer was new and empty and I froze loaves of bread. Any bread I find will come out. Protein is more important! 

Just now, I remembered I have a huge package of ground beef that needs to be cooked. So, that will happen tomorrow. I really want spaghetti. I cook the meat with chopped onions. Tommy is really happy when he finds frozen package of ground beef. He eats it for several meals. I will freeze small packages for him and larger for spaghetti. Maybe I will make a healthy meatloaf. 

Last night, we put away a bit more Christmas. Little is left, just a small pile. 

Sign up for club Publix and click for coupon for Salsa bouquet. 

There were no grand plans or accomplishments today. It does work to keep us fed and not get too far behind. 

What are your plans for food this week or tomorrow? 

Are there any good ads in your area?

Anyone still have Christmas decorations out still?



4 comments:

  1. I did not think the food ads this week were worth my time. I did go to Aldi but only for fresh vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I was disappointed. I sent Tommy in for carrots and Lysol wipes, and that was the only store we visited. Carrots was the only vegetable that we did not have.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of the free bouquet! Is that a pic from the ad? It looks so cheerful! I'd be happy to collect that freebie.

    You say you and Tommy didn't get much done, but I beg to differ. Sounds like you were very industrious!

    Food ads just came out yesterday and I haven't looked at them yet. I am working at eating down our freezers, so I'm only interested in produce/eggs/milk these days, anyway. I have gotten rid of some very bulky items--racks of ribs, 4-lb bags of frozen veggies--which has opened up quite a bit of space.

    I want to make sure I have room for some slabs of corned beef during the March sales. Y.U.M.

    Can't believe it's Feb already. My Xmas tree is still up. DH turns it on every morning because the lights are so pretty. He has like 8 different kinds of light strands on it, and all are set to slowly turn on/off, randomly. So the whole tree just sort of twinkles and shimmers. It's mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      The picture is from the Publix ad on the internet. It is very nice. I prefer pink flowers, but this is free and pretty with two roses.
      I just don't buy big things for the freezer! Corned beef space is important.
      Your tree sounds very pretty. At least you are still enjoying it instead of letting it sit in the shadows.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.