Contact Me

Monday, February 5, 2024

Valentine Gnome and Frustration

 

                                                               Valentine Gnome  

How about another cute dessert? I would make this. 

TV's Funniest Phrases Seinfeld had #1, #21, and #50. "No soup for you." Did you find your favorite in the list? 




This amazon box had a cell phone battery in it and bubble for cushioning. Is that wasteful? I received an order yesterday that had three items, one in a breakable bottle. Each item was in a plastic bag, no box.  I wonder who makes the decision on which method of packing to use. 

I am not sure why I did not post this above on Sunday. I looked at the post up and saw Sunday, so I thought I had already posted. 

I am not sure what the alignment above is doing, so I will ignore it.  I had little sleep Saturday and Sunday night. Dogs next door sounded like we were being invaded by wolves or something dangerous on Sunday night/Monday morning.  

This afternoon I wasted a beautiful day in Lowe's getting no help. I had definite things in mind. Nothing panned out. I left empty-handed and disappointed and exhausted. 

1-I wanted something to seal cold air coming in around the bathroom window. Well, I was shown something to shut in the window, something to squirt in the crack, and told to get a piece of plastic and tape over the window. Then, get a window sealing kit. 

The space leaking is between the frame of window and tile. There is no way to raise the window unless I take it out. They were confused and could not figure out why the window frame would not raise. The draft stuff to squirt never works for me. I am either too stupid or clumsy to get it where it goes and how it goes. It would look so lumpy and nasty. I was told there is nothing to roll in a string to put in cracks.

I know I have seen something that looks like play doh that can be rolled into a long piece like a snake and then it can be pressed into the space. 

They tell me to just squish the foam into the space of 1/8 inch. 

2--No one could show me the Kohler commode that was installed. It is not round in front and elongated. It sort of is triangular with a bit of rounding in the front. So, need to find out about that. There is nothing about my bottom that fits this commode I have newly installed!

3--I want a new light to go beside the front door. I would like one that had an outlet for plugging in electrical things since Tommy has no outdoor electrical outlet. The guy did not even investigate, just told me that nothing like that is made. 

4--I wanted weed killer for St. Augustine Grass. It was up too high, so I just left it and did not ask for help. I would have had to have driven halfway across the store. I may just order it. 

5--I passed a display of new seeds. I asked the guy if he could get me some short carrots. He pulled off the top of the case where the carrots were and spilled about a hundred packages of seeds or more. He picked them up and put them willy-nilly back into the case and declared they did not carry short carrots. I know better, but I went on. 

6--floor cabinets--nothing there that was metal. Guy only muttered a bit. 

7--Security door glass and metal type for front door. Guy pointed in their direction. There was no one to talk with and there were no prices. 

Before I actually got to talk with anyone and had been on the cart five minutes, the cart died. Someone brought me a cart. The guy dragged the dead cart out of the way, and an hour later it still sat, not being charged. 

Can you see why I am frustrated and exhausted after not getting much sleep all weekend? 

A few minutes ago, I tried to walk to the kitchen and could barely stand to get dinner on my plate. I struggled back to my chair and Tommy heated it and brought to me. I have no idea what is wrong with my flank, maybe my kidney. Plus, there is a knot under my ribs in front on the same side. Whatever is happening, I at least need to be able to get to the bathroom. Last night, I was very wobbly getting up to go. 

Today was beautiful, a deep blue sky with some clouds that did not dim the brilliance of the sun. 

We are watching Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman, so I need to get back.

Do you find that people working in some home improvement stores have no idea about the business in which they work?

16 comments:

  1. I have found if I want anyone who knows about most things to start at either Bluff Park Hardware or Rocky Ridge Hardware. They are not home improvement stores, but the employees at both places are fountains of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Thanks. I will keep that in mind. A dribble of knowledge today would have been a miracle.

      Delete
    2. Definitely try to go to an actual hardware store. I don't know if they have ace hardware where you live. I find them to be very helpful.
      For the window repair try looking for answers on Google.
      Lots of information available for home repairs.

      Delete
    3. Savannah,
      Lowe's has an electric cart! I do have an Ace in mind. The guy will even come to car and bring items to me. I have known him and he has helped me for over 30 years. Plus, Anne gave me two good places for help.
      It seemed like a good idea to go in since I knew what I wanted. As soon as I got home, I googled away.

      Delete
  2. Your angst is understandable ! You were a woman on a mission carting around the store, knowing exactly what you were desirous of and to be so thwarted. I absolutely cannot believe there were no short carrots ! Unacceptable ! But being a true trooper and although you knew better, you carted forth. Well done :) I enjoy the old time movies with the great actors from the past. Have you watched the one with Rock Hudson pretending to be a expert fisherman ? Such fun !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I went through the other part of the store indoors, I saw another whole display with about a dozen carrots. However, I was following the guy and it was a tight fit, so I just ignored them for now.
      Man's Favorite Sport? Yes, hilarious. We love to watch old movies.

      Delete
  3. That would be frustrating. Just a notion - use Play Dough! Why not? It will fill the gap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually trust older gentlemen employed at those big box stores. They tend to be retirees with a wealth of knowledge.

    Although I did encounter a pair of 80 year-old stock boys at a sporting goods store who were barely sentient. I asked where the kayak life vests were and one of them shouted, "Why, there are pink vests right there! You just walked right past 'em!" Um, OKAY, Grandpa! Just because it's pink doesn't mean it's the right type of vest! Sheesh.

    Anyhow, here's your 1/8" rope caulking for windows:

    https://www.amazon.com/Duck-8-Inch-35-Feet-Single-283580/dp/B005OXRLDC?th=1

    Here is a beautiful door light with 2 grounded outlets (at a great price, plus it is auto dusk/dawn!):

    https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Anti-Rust-Alunmium-Exterior-Included/dp/B0B3DNMGTC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3TM4OWA218XFY&keywords=fandbo%2Boutdoor%2Bporch%2Blight&qid=1707227898&s=hi&sprefix=fandbo%2Boutdoor%2Bporch%2Bligh%2Ctools%2C311&sr=1-4&th=1

    short carrot seeds:

    https://www.amazon.com/Davids-Garden-Seeds-Non-GMO-Heirloom/dp/B08N726QDK/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=dwarf+carrot+seeds&qid=1707228021&sr=8-7

    Here's your cabinets with locking doors; 125lbs/shelf
    (great price PLUS an 8% discount!):

    https://www.amazon.com/Ochangqi-Storage-Cabinet-Adjustable-Shelves/dp/B0C1G8HW9L?th=1

    You are going to have to go online to possibly find your Kohler toilet. It sounds like it is a round bowl, rather than an elongated. Round type are not the most comfortable seating experience.

    You seem to have a handle on your St. Augustine grass killer situation.

    Are you looking for a brand-new front door? You'll need to work with a profession door installer or a super good handyman. Your measurements have to be exact, and you'll want one with an attached frame, not just a door to stick in the existing frame.

    Hope this all helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue,
    Thanks. This guy was in 30s and told several people on phone, he would be right there as he was about ready to clock out! He checked out long before we quit talking.
    The first two were in 20s and this was not their area. And, they said they were checking on something for someone else. Well, for over an hour they stood and talked to another young person, laughing and talking and never moved out of my sight at the other end of long aisle.

    Shortly after I got home, I found a thousand porch lights with outlets. Yeah, they don't make those. /s

    Amazing that all that stuff exists and no one in Lowe's knew about it.

    I did ask an older man who was limping, and he seemed in pain. So, I just gave up and came home. Then, I spent a few minutes on the internet and found sooo much stuff I wanted.

    I don't want to replace the front door, just the storm door, steel, not aluminum. A security door. I am willing to spend as much of his money as it takes. lol

    Once Tommy quits yelling about something I think he needs, I can progress to looking. Then, he thinks that is a really good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (((((HUGS))))) Linda, that is so frustrating! My husband used to build houses and now works at a building supply company part time. One of the reasons that they hired him is because of his knowledge of constructions and building materials. When is came time for him to semi-retire, they were more than happy to have him stay on part time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,
      I can understand how valuable he is to them. At another Lowe's, I had a guy in plumbing that I went to for ALL my questions about anything in the store. I know so little, but when they tell me something or offer a product that I know is not correct, I am so frustrated.

      Delete
  7. there seems to be no rhyme nor reason with Amazon on how they package their items I have found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gill,
      Obviously not. I am glad someone else noticed this!

      Delete
  8. The strawberry valentines gnome looks good.

    We are fortunate to have a few local home improvement stores with staff who know what they are talking about.
    I appreciate this may not be the case for everybody!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      There are knowledgeable people in all these stores. Finding that person is the challenge!

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.