Contact Me

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Flabbergasted--Another Death

 The Podiatrist appointment was today at 12:30 pm, We left the office at 3:30 pm. I was exhausted by the time we left. At 2 pm, I knew we would not be home for cleaner to come at 3 pm, so cancelled. Tommy carried crackers to carry us through. However, I had just eaten so made it fine. 

As Pod finished, I mentioned the big 'freckle' on my big toe about 1/4 inch from nail. I said I was going to have it removed to be sure it was not cancer. Pod looked at me and said, "Do you know how rare foot cancer is?" I asked, "Do you know that several of my father's brothers died from melanoma that was untreated?" Pod said, "No." "Do you know my father died from pancreatic cancer as did his mother, my grandmother? Derm said, "No" I supposed I schooled her! 

Funny thing--when I mentioned the spot, the freckle, or whatever it is, Pod tried to clean it off with alcohol and sort of scratched it. It was permanent. I thought it was dirty, too, weeks ago, but it was on to stay. 

I felt like I was not heard, like Pod was taking away my agency. Well, I had determined that I would have the Derm remove the freckle and test it. 

Pod came in limping with a boot, acting like walking was painful. It seems Pod was walking along and broke foot. Podiatrist breaks own foot while simply walking!

When we left the doctor's office, I took a prescription to Publix. I told Pod that Walgreen's said it was all the same, that they did not carry the drops she wanted me to have. She gave me another paper prescription to take to Publix. Publix Pharmacist said they could not order it and wanted me to take another iteration of the same med. Tomorrow, I will call another drugstore. 

On the way out of Publix, I saw a bogo that I bought. Knorr's Pasta Sides were 4/$5. I imagine a one-pot meal for dinner. I bought four. Tonight, I used Fettucine and Broccoli in a Chicken Flavored Sauce. I decided to put the rest of the frozen broccoli in and a piece of chicken breast. Well, there was not much broccoli left so I put in a new bag of frozen broccoli, well, most of it. 

Then, Tommy found two chicken breasts in freezer. The small one was only part of a breast and not enough for one person. So, the large one went into pot. It was only one vegetable, but it was delicious and easy to make. After I had a bowlful, I used Three Cheddar Shredded Cheese. Everything in this one-pot meal was bought bogo or on sale.

I chose three more sides:

Four Cheese Pasta. I did not mean to buy mac and cheese. But, I will either eat as it is or add enough to make it a meal for two.

Herb and Butter. Why did I buy two pastas like these?

Fettucine in a Savory Chicken Flavored Sauce. Okay, this pasta is better choice. All four will probably be made into four one-pot meals. I thought all four were fettucine!

I decided to call R, female friend who bought a fancy storm door that was a security door. I mentioned S, a friend of ours. She said he died, sort of as an aside. I knew he lost one toe to diabetes and his penchant for sweets, but I found out he was losing one toe about every two years. One lost toe would certainly wake me up. When they went into his house after he died, there was a three-pound bag of candy corn in his chair that he had taken to sleeping in instead of bed. 

You may remember a friend's antique store that we ate in for Thanksgiving. I was looking for pictures just now, but cannot find them. 

I asked R if anyone else had died that were our friends. She said T almost died but did not. S is gay man, longtime friend. Well, T and D are a gay couple. D was antiquing at an estate sale. He went into cupboard or closet, picked out some things, bought them, went home. The next day he went back to the cupboard/pantry and stepped in. Little did he know someone had gone in there and opened a trap door in the floor and did not close it. Of course, T fell through hitting many things including a wall. He was taken to ER. He suffered many injuries. 

His arm suffered a trauma that was treated. Months later, it was bothering him but since the ER doctor had treated the arm, he assumed it was going to get better and did not seek further treatment. Well, months later when he did go back, doctor found staph infection. Soon, they discovered that he had staph in arm. It was in his spine. R said, they opened up his spine and vacuumed out the staph. It had damaged his spine so two rods were put on side of his spine to stabilize it. Then, the staph was found in bones of the arm. He cannot use his arm. 

Since his husband, D, has dementia, he could not help care for him at home even with nurses coming in to treat him. Now, T is in nursing home. I am flabbergasted that one misstep could cause such damage. 

S's death horrified me. The accident T had is almost worse. So, I am feeling emotional right now. It is hard to lose a friend and hard to think another almost lost his life. Today was a physically hard day and emotional. I am exhausted.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend and for your other friend's horrible accident. It really knocks the stuffing out of you emotionally when bad things happen to people you care about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thanks. It was definitely a gut punch. Tommy thought I was talking about something on TV. Sugar killed my friend, so it makes you think.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.