Contact Me

Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Strange New Gearshift and Ambulance

 When we had to rent a car, the last one we got had a strange round knob to turn to shift gears. I hope this is not the future of gear shifts. CLICK HERE to see this strange and dangerous new item

Do you have a gear shift that is just a knob to turn? Tommy had to take his attention from everything else to determine how to use the knob, where to turn it each time. 

Today, I had three appointments for different procedures at the cardio. One was exceptionally early. I knew I was not going to make it when Tommy came to wake me. When I woke to go to bathroom, I was shocked he was letting me oversleep. When I came and sat down and tried to talk to him, he could not understand me. I asked him questions and he gave an off-the-wall response, nonsense answer. I could not get a straight answer for ten minutes as he was just out of it, not just asleep. Of course, he lapsed back into nonsense often.

So, I called 911 and soon had five people in living room with another woman trying to get the stretcher into the house. Tommy did not know his birthday at first. They went over his med, measured blood sugar, put in iv and pushed it in fast. They told me to get him something to eat. I asked what would be best--pbj, He hates jelly on that, so they said pb sandwich was fine. I asked one of the young women to get me a spoon for the peanut butter. She brought it back. Soon, she brought him a regular Coke to help him. So, she had gone back to refrigerator. 

Finally, they left, telling him he would  go to hospital in the ambulance if they had to come back. So, he finished it all and is snoozing, says he is cold so heat is up really too high. 

He scares me when this happens. He said when he called me and I asked him to call the doctor and told him where the number was, he looked all over the page and could not find a number. No, he did not eat breakfast. No, he did not take insulin yet. He also had few carbs last night. 

Monday, his feet were tripping him. He walked funny. He talked funny. He was driving erratically. "No, I'm okay." Well, finally in the store he felt woozy, like he was going to pass out and had a candy bar. Then Tuesday, his blood sugar was 41. 

The guys said he would have just lain there until he was dead. Scary. He must be better because he is getting lippy. 

I now have new appointments for procedures cancelled for Monday. We both need milk, and more bananas for me. Okay, we got milk, bread, and bananas. We had a bit of a wait for another project. He has started getting something to eat and taking it with us. There was a time when he wanted to get a burger every time. Plus, I was trying to purchase Rubbermaid containers with clear bottom and red tops bogo. 

He argued and fretted about how we had plenty of storage containers. I kept pointing out the glass ones were so heavy and breakable. NOW, he grabs a little square sandwich box to take a cheese sandwich with us. Sometimes, we take bits of different foods. I pointed out we use no plastic bags to throw them away if we use the plastic boxes. We don't heat anything in these nor do we leave food in them. So, I feel confident it is safe to use these the way we do. 

You know he is a late adopter of most things. But, taking food with us and using the little sandwich boxes have become his own habits. I never have to remind him. 

I have a box of Thin Mints. Tommy tasted one, said it was disgusting. The Thin Mints are all mine.

Do you drive a car with a knob for gear shift? 

Do you have anyone whose blood sugar is precarious? And, he refuses to check blood sugar because he "knows what he is doing"?

10 comments:

  1. Yikes! That episode with Tommy sounds scary. I hope it doesn't happen again.

    A cheese sandwich is just the thing to hit the spot sometimes. I enjoy those too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      It took me about five minutes to confirm what I thought--that he was having a low-blood sugar episode. This has happened when he was driving. Of course, we were on a hilly road with no shoulders.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not mean to remove this comment. What was it?

      Delete
    2. LOL! I can't remember exactly. I think I said my new (2 yr old) car has the knob...oh and I asked if you are able to wake up to an alarm? because I would never trust my dh to be in charge of waking me up, haha.

      Delete
    3. How does the knob work for you? It would make me nervous. I can trust him fully on waking me.

      Delete
  3. You know there is a thingy you can have put on your upper arm of someone with blood sugar regulation issues. Of course you need a smart phone to access it's data and read what your glucose level is. I believe Medicare pays for this if the person is insulin dependent. Might be worth looking into so these sort of episodes don't continue to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,
      I know about these. Two years ago, his doctor was going to give him one, but the nurse said the smart phone would not access the information. Yes, it would, but she did not know how. The phone guy said he put them on all the time. Then, nurse said they were out. I think his doctor's office is useless.
      Every day, I remind him, and he says ok. He is not against it, just will not do anything toward getting it. He can pay for it, not the problem.
      I want the watch that reads blood sugar if it really works.
      Thanks.
      His osteoarthritis is getting into his shoulders but he says there is nothing to be done for it getting worse. He always hates to hear he is wrong about his health.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad Tommy was feeling better. That's some scary stuff going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      It scared me. It was even more scary when he told me what he did not remember, and how he could not see me. Thanks. Now, I have to get him the Dexcom G7.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.