Contact Me

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Unexpected Halloween Night

At Walmart on Halloween night, many children were in costume and with their parents, either before or after Trick or Treating. Many adults were in costume, too. It was quite a sight.

I came around a corner and there were two children, a little boy about three of four and a little girl about five or six.  I said, "Oh, there is Batman!" The little boy whirled around with a huge smile. He was grinning from ear to ear and started talking, telling me he was Batman. Over and over. He was pulling at his cape, pulling something from underneath, telling me excitedly that he was "nego Batman." Well, it sounded like nego. I said, "Lego?" and he repeated it over and over. He was soooo excited.

He talked when his sister tried to talk and would not give her a chance, making her stammer and start over. He did not listen to me telling him to let her talk. I put my right hand on top of his head and looked right into his upturned face and he still talked. I took my left hand and put my finger close to his face and shushed him. That caused him to stop and grin from ear to ear again. I hoped his father would not mind my finger in his face. But, I was talking softly and looked at the father's face who did not seem to mind.

The little girl was dressed in a long-sleeve t-shirt, black pants, and brown boots. She said she was going to be a black cat when her mother put her hair up in cat ears.  She looked a bit disappointed, but I told her that would be a great costume, so she looked much happier.

The little boy asked me what my costume was going to be. I told him I did not have one. He looked at me, wrapped his arms around me and said, "I love you!" I almost cried. The little girl said she wanted to hug me. I hugged them as they hugged me. The little boy was the height his head was plastered to my breast. The little girl put her arms around my neck and leaned her head on my neck and shoulder.

These were not quick hugs!

The little boy started over with digging at his cape behind, talking about his "Nego" Batman. Finally, I helped him pull up his cape and look. He actually had on a furry Lego Batman something, costume or pajamas. It had a hood and he had a Batman cape on, too. I think they put on two costume parts. He could not say his Ls. Although, he could save "love."

I told the little boy my son liked Halloween, too. He came back and very seriously asked me if my little boy loved Batman.  He was so happy to hear he did. Of course, I got many more hugs.

Later, I found them again, and asked the parents if I could take the children's pictures in their Halloween attire. The children were soooo excited and the parents smiled broadly.

Then, the children started hugging me again and telling me they loved me. I commented to the mother that they were such affectionate children. She commented that they were her "snuggle bugs" especially the little boy.

They were concerned I did not have a costume and hugged me more. Finally, I said I had a costume but could not walk to go out and Trick or Treat. That elicited more hugging and "I love you" from both, especially the little boy.

That is just about the best Halloween I have had in years.

13 comments:

  1. Awww! what little sweethearts!
    An encounter like that can definitely make my day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      It did! I hope I see those children again sometime.

      Delete
  2. Awww! And kudos to the parents for letting their kids express their delight and concern for a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Anne,
      Yes, sweeter than any candy that night.

      Delete
  4. Theresa,
    I took a picture to help remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, I have to admit when you said the Wal Mart shoppers were in costume, I thought, aren't they always? Great people watching site. Those parents were exceptional letting their children give and receive love. So much fear and suspicion in the world. That was a pure moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carol,
      People are not as bad as that site. I had a moment of misgiving, wondering what people would think and wondering how the parents could let them be so open and free with their expressions of affection and love. However, the parents were within feet of us, one watching all the time--mostly the father. I don't think they were suspicious, just good parents watching out for their children. It was a pure moment.

      Delete
  6. Splendid !
    Halloween should be adventuresome if it can't be traditional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was an adventure. It did have costumes and little children.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.