Contact Me

Monday, November 6, 2017

Pretty Potato Plant

My potato plant is emerging nicely from the soil. It finally put out leaves....again. Remember, all the leaves fell off the green sprouts before I planted it. I know that once leaves emerge from the soil, the potato plant needs to be partially covered again. However, the leaves are only about 1/4 inch diameter. The leaves that emerged from the sprouts were about a half inch diameter.

Unless someone has a better idea, I am not going to cover them with dirt yet. I used potting soil for this potato. I have a bag of yard soil to use, too. Are either of these better or detrimental for my purposes? Help!

I am pleased as punch that these have not been discovered by the ground squirrels or chipmunks, whichever the little stripe-y monsters are called. Maybe they don't like potatoes. Cats around here are falling down on the job.

Tomorrow, I will get J to move large rocks around the plants. Hopefully, the rocks will keep warmth in the pot when it gets cooler. Since the pot is in front of the rock wall of the basement, they should stay warm there.

When I went outside to take a picture which I cannot post, I moved one more pot, just a tiny one. It will all be done eventually.

Your turn
Is the potting soil or garden soil better for the potato? Any reason not to use either?

3 comments:

  1. You can call them chipmunks, I call them a damn nuisance! I have seen 5 at once in my backyard today. I read somewhere that coyote urine would send them running. Now if I can just coax a coyote to come pee in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coyote urine can be bought at the hunting supply place here in town. I wonder how I get a barrel of it. I don't care what the place smells like. I may still have a bottle of it under the kitchen sink. I think man urine will work, too. Now, to get exbf to pee in a cup since he cannot easily walk to bathroom, much less in the yard having to hide from neighbors.

      I bet cat litter would work, but their is the feces in with the urine. Thanks. Damn nuisance is correct.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.