Contact Me

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Veteran's Day

My mother was a veteran. She was a WAC in WWII. I have many male relatives who were veterans, but my mother is the only female who was a veteran.

Today is my little brother's birthday. He would have been seventy-years-old.

I saw a bunny at the corner of the yard at about dusk. The appearance of a rabbit makes me happy as I hope the sight of one means fewer raccoons come around here.

Today, when I went out to uncover the potato, there were about ten or more birds in the chickens' chain link dog pen. The birds were going wild, trying to get out since I was sort of near them. I just stood and watched. I could hear a dove, but the birds looked like mocking birds. They moved so fast back and forth, slamming into the chain link. I wanted to let them out, but as I moved closer, they bashed them selves harder into the chain link. Finally, only as they landed on the wire did they manage to get out. Flying straight into the chain link did not help them get through. Only when they landed did they manage to escape.

I never did see the dove. Tomorrow, maybe I can locate it. For years I had a pair of doves live in my yard. They did not move far as I can hear them often.

Last night, I covered the potato plant with a piece of cardboard and had to go out early to uncover it. Since it was 30 degrees here last night, I am glad I ventured out with a flashlight. Now, I have to go out again to cover it. The plant seems to be thriving. YAY! It seems to get dark, not only sooner at night, but faster. There seems to be no gradual sunset. That could only be my perception. Maybe sunset starts about 1 pm.

Birmingham, AL had the oldest and largest Veteran's Day Parade in the world. There were events here in my town, but I didn't leave the yard today...lol.

Your turn
Are you a veteran? Did you attend any events today?

4 comments:

  1. I did not attend any Veteran's Day festivities because I am still sanding and staining all these damn blocks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Hopefully, you will be able to get out of the house when those are done. How many blocks did you have in all to sand?

      Delete
  2. I am not a veteran, but I treat them.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.