Contact Me

Monday, November 20, 2017

Cost of Thanksgiving the Year You Were Born + Getting Ready

This Thanksgiving I will not be buying a turkey or a turkey breast. I was given another hen. That makes three!  I wonder if I can get three hens in a turkey bag. It seems chicken and dumpling is in my future sometime in the next ten days. I will freeze what I cannot eat, make broth, freeze it and make the chicken and dumplings later.

The two I got earlier will go together in the turkey bag and into the oven. The hen I just got will go into the crock pot for the chicken and dumplings.

I was also a recipient of three more pounds of sweet potatoes and three pounds of white potatoes. This was from the church that requires no means test.

This was a crazy time to cook the ground beef for exbf. I got almost five pounds and have made four helpings of meat loaf, four helpings of the taco casserole that ends up more like soup. I still have the other third of the ground beef for something else. He will take this home, all frozen in pint freezer bags. Since we will eat Thanksgiving dinner out, I will be cooking hens later. He can eat a Thanksgiving dinner at my house the next week and take home leftovers, too.

This cost of Thanksgiving article does not start on my birth year, just the year after. In 70 years the price of a Thanksgiving dinner for 10 has certainly risen. I wonder if the cost to my parents seemed as hard to come by as the price for this year will be difficult for some people. I think it was less than $6 for the year after I was born. For 2016 the price was almost $50. Cost of Thanksgiving

I love the pictures of ordinary people preparing their Thanksgiving meal or sitting down to eat.

How much was Thanksgiving Dinner the year you were born?


2 comments:

  1. Because it is difficult for me to go out, it will be just Duane and me for Thanksgiving this year. He received a grocery gift card from his workplace that covered the price of the turkey with quite a bit left over and the rest comes from my canning shelves and pantry, so the cash outlay was zero. You and I are close to the same age, so the cost back then would be the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki,
      It sounds like it will be a good Thanksgiving with Duane with you. The grocery gift card is a boon to you and Duane. I have managed to have Thanksgiving supplies without a great outlay which I don't have. Of course, the prices are all relative. But, that amount was probably too much for many people. I am glad you are having Duane over.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.