Contact Me

Saturday, November 18, 2017

More about kale

Kale is delicious. I use no salt or any seasoning.  However, I recently became aware of some cautions about eating kale. This article further explains health benefits. This article is very long, but well worth the time.

People worry about citrus fruit being available, especially for children. Kale is a better source of Vitamin C than oranges. Before citrus fruits were widely available in this country, people ate more kale and still got their nutrients. Of course, harsh or long winters precluded growing greens that are nutritious. .

5 comments:

  1. I love kale and normally grow it as baby greens in a container. Will be starting some in a couple of weeks as it likes cold weather - it's still in the low 80s here.

    You can reduce the soluble oxaltes in greens by boiling 6-10 minutes and draining well. My question is - what's left if you boil greens that long? I'd think pretty much nothing but mush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      I put the whole container in a pot that was filled to the top. I only put in a half cup of water. Once the water was hot, the whole pot of kale collapsed. By the time I turned off the pot there was practically nothing in the pot. I would say it was hot, not even boiling, and done. The two servings would have been about a third of a cup. I do love cooked greens of any kind except spinach. I like the taste, but throw it up every time.

      Where do you grow kale, indoors or out?

      Delete
    2. Linda, I grow kale outdoors but we rarely get a frost and kale can withstand a light frost. I think you could grow kale on a sunny windowsill. You can sprout kale seeds too and that only requires a jar.

      I cook greens like you do, but have never boiled them, but then again I don't boil any vegetable except corn on the cob and then only bring it to a boil, turn off the heat and put a lid on it.

      Delete
  2. We subscribe to Blue Apron. It often has kale in its dishes. At first we were skeptical, but both of us have to admit it is OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      Not going grocery shopping deprives you of philosophical fodder for your blog.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.