Contact Me

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Tuesday & Piggly Wiggly is Closing

The Tuesday lunch and the whole day just about did me in. I could not sleep Monday night, so I set the alarm for 8:30 am to wash my hair which I should have done Monday night. Somehow, the alarm was set to soft instead of loud and went off for an hour before I heard it. Even with an extra hour's sleep, I was not motivated to get up. When exbf arrived, I was sitting on my bed with wet hair and not dressed to leave the house.

I spent 30 minutes becoming presentable. Even though my hair was still damp, I left, ready to go to the lunch.

First, we went to Harbor Freight where I got 2 sets of bungee cords, one for each of us at the cost of $0.43 for each set. Well, the cords were free, but the $0.49 utility knife cost me $0.49 - 20% + tax = $0.43. Now, I can commence with the chipmunk trap.

My hair was mostly dry, so I came home, used the curling iron a bit, fixed my hair and we left for the church. We try to get there early to get a close handicapped parking place. I put on my makeup in the car, and we talked. Finally, I went in and found someone to take a wheelchair out and get him.

Lunch was chicken and dumplings, a side of peas, and a piece of celery, piece of carrot and pickle spear, unsweetened tea.. I declined the peas and asked them to put them on his plate. He was so happy to have the extra peas. He also ate either some of my carrot or celery. I brought home celery and carrot in a napkin to add to food I cook.

The guys with stringed instruments played and sang while we ate. Nice.

The interim minister announced that any of the food bags we wanted were in the back of the church. Plus, we could take sweet potatoes. All this was left from the last event where they give food with no means test. Naturally, I got the food bag and more sweet potatoes, maybe 3 pounds.

Since Piggly Wiggly is closing, I had him take me out there. This a store I never visit because besides being in the opposite direction of all the other stores, they only have two electric carts, and it spooks me to get off the highway into their parking lot.

People who live out that way in the country and have to come into town to shop use this store. They will sorely miss PW because they will have to drive about 5 miles further. Those employees will no longer have a job.

While I was in PW, I saw a lone office chair with a sign "$5 cash" and dragged it along since it had wheels. A manager helped me by dragging it out to exbf to see if it fit him. He is uncomfortable in every chair I have. He struggles to get up. Finally, I bought a lawn chair that I keep here for him...in the house. It is still uncomfortable, but the best I have in terms of his comfort.

He grumbled about the chair but I bought it and someone loaded it into the back of his vehicle. Then and only then, did he tell me how awful it was. grrrr Speak up sooner.

In PW I bought Dominoes powdered sugar for $0.75, a good price and a pack of soup mix and a pack of Concord potato garnish stuff. You slice potatoes lengthwise, sprinkle this stuff on them and bake. There is only a tsp of oil on pounds of potatoes. However, I never bake pounds.

We went to WM to check on status of a TV. While there, I sold the chair for $10 to an employee. No, I did not feel guilty since exbf was using his gas and time.

Remember the soup on sale at Publix? I made one of the pouches for him and put a handful of meat in it, a full portion. I had one taste. He loved it. Then, I baked him a Raspberry Turnover, bought on sale at Publix and sent another baked turnover home with him. He loved the one he ate, too. His dinner was about $1.25, soup and turnover. Best of all, it was so easy to prepare.

Have you ever shopped in a Piggly Wiggly? Piggly Wiggly was the first modern style store with people getting their own merchandise instead of handing a list to the proprietor. Grocery carts were first used and every item was priced. The first Piggly Wiggly was opened in Memphis, TN, where I grew up. The founder built a beautiful home out of pink marble. People called it The Pink Palace. Now, it is a museum.

10 comments:

  1. On spring break from college in 1968 I visited my then fiance in Clarksville TN while he was in the Navy. I stayed in a motel about 1/2 mile from a Piggly Wiggly and I walked there to get breakfast food and snacks. That's all I remember about it except for 2 things: 1. I loved the name and 2. Nobody thought it was weird that I walked there and back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      We loved the name, too. Where did you come from that people might have thought it weird for anyone to walk a half mile for food?

      Delete
    2. Suburban CT - people routinely drove 2 blocks to the store. It was the 'I live in the suburbs so I must drive' syndrome.

      Delete
    3. If I lived two blocks from most stores around here, I would have to drive if I could walk. This is not a walkable city at all. Two state highways run through town and cross. Plus, there are few sidewalks to get to the stores. There are sidewalks in front of the shopping centers but they don't go out very far to where people live.

      Delete
  2. Out west, I loved the piggly wiggly! were I lived it was one of many. the neighborhoods had their own little markets, playgrounds and schools. It was different! Way different than I live now! I am happy to see you are still writing, Linda...been too long! Be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered quitting the blog since for two days, no one appeared to be interested as not one person commented yesterday, even if to say I had weird thoughts.

      Delete
  3. I grew up with a Piggy Wiggly in WV.
    I just love that name!
    Thanks for writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. monica,
      It does grab your attention. I remember when I first realized it was a funny name. I was a child. Before that, it was just a name. You are welcome.

      Delete
  4. I have only heard of it; I don't think it was around where I was growing up. Are they all closing, or just that one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I don't think it was where you grew up. This is not a corporate decision. They were doing well. The owners of the franchise are getting out since they have been in the grocery business for many years. Well, I heard it was their decision.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.