Contact Me

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Day of the Dead Free Food and Stuff

Taco Bell was giving out free tacos. I could only think of one thing.

The grocery ads came out yesterday. There was nothing that appealed to me. However, Red Delicious apples were cheap at Publix, so I bought three nice ones for only $1.05. Amazingly, green grapes were ~$2 at Walmart and Publix, so price-matching has not been missed thus far. I only buy single apples, never bags. I always end up spending a fortune on apples since bags have bruised and old ones.

This Spring, I gave J a tiny crock pot. It only spit and sputtered as it boiled away. It is only one-quart but cost me $1 at a yard sale. I think it is about $12 bought new. She reported she put one chicken breast and rice in the little crock pot for their dinner. She actually knows how to cook. He would buy a burger and fries. They moved into a motel room that cost them $249/week. He makes $500 every two weeks.  She said this was just to get out of their host's house on time. I talked to their host last night. He said he asked them every day or so where they were going to move and reminded them of their deadline. There is an electric skillet I do not want. She only has to come by and dig it out of the lower cabinet.

Best news--Every day I look at the potato plant. Wednesday, I noticed that there seemed to be little ruffly things that appeared to be leaves forming on the bare potato sprouts that are above ground. Today, they are actually minute leaves. It appears these potato sprouts will live. This week the temperature will be around 80, so they will be able to grow a bit.

Today, I folded the sheet back so they could get air and more light. Since it is a gloomy, cloudy, rainy day, they did not get a bit of sunshine. If I even get marble-sized potatoes, I will count this a success. This weekend, there will be a "greenhouse" for them so my sheet won't rot in the weather. I will surprise you with the description since I cannot post a picture.

Last night, I was talking to a friend in WM. She said her son just left and did I see him. He was one of those funny and annoying kids in middle school. I would not even call him "bad.
," just annoying. He was the type kid who knows when to draw back instead of getting sent to the office. He has been in and out of trouble, made babies with two girls, lost jobs, spent time in jail. But, he finally grew up, grew a beard, married one of the mothers, and appears to be on the path to being a productive citizen. At twenty-five, he finally "settled down." He had apologized to me after he graduated. I did not know his mother until years after I met him. ...warm fuzzies, here.

I turned on the ac today for at least another week. It was so stuffy for the last few days that I could not sleep.

Exbf is coming tomorrow. Since I did not feel well yesterday and today (from stuffy house and lack of sleep), I need to do things tonight.


7 comments:

  1. What J and her BF are doing is not sustainable. They will get kicked out of the motel quickly if they do not get their act together. How can people be so casual about their roof over their heads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'Pol,
      I know that, and they know that. He refuses to get a second job because he is too tired after work to work more. We all get that. Actually, he did not work at anything and lied to host about job search. Host thought they were really looking. She told me he was holding out for job--detailing cars, the only job he has ever held since he was 15. And, he is 45. SHE told me this after I guessed the truth. His father and brother live here but will no longer help him or talk to him. They will mooch a place to live.She has lots! of food from food banks and can cook, so that is covered. She did not show up yesterday for my friend who will pay her well for help after knee replacement.

      Delete
  2. I agree with T'Pol. It always seems to me that trying to live that kind of life is actually harder work than just trying to be productive and "normal". I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See answer to T;Pol,
      Remember, "normal" to them is flouting rules, stealing,lying, and doing drugs. They say they are not doing drugs, but I know differently. She came here high, thinking I am old, stupid, and out of it. I sent her home when she came to work so she could buy cigs. When their host is working one job and other jobs on the weekend, they lounge on his well-appointed porch and smoke or play you tube videos on their two iphones. She suffers from 'Learmed helplessness."

      Delete
  3. Everyone has to grow up sometime I guess, but it is sure nice when kids do. As for J, living in a hotel is not a life for anyone, hopefully she will get that soon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC,
      Calling it a hotel is giving it more cachet than it deserves. It is a motel just to rent by week. She does not have to. She will not leave bf for a better life.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.