Contact Me

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Out my kitchen window today--what is the man doing??

Today, I went to the kitchen to do something at or beside the sink. I noticed a red truck parked beside my retaining wall. The side of the yard outside my kitchen window has a retaining wall about four feet high. It is right at the curb, so I am always surprised when someone parks there.

There was a guy about ten feet behind the truck, looking at the ground on this side of the wall. He sort of stirred the leaves/pine straw/dirt. I watched until he got to the back of his truck, curious as to what on earth he was doing or what he was looking for.

He then scooted in between truck and the retaining wall. I could tell it was a tight squeeze by the way he walked sideways. What could he be looking for?

Okay, I am in a nightgown and my hair looks like the Medusa. I headed out the back door with a tall cup of cereal and milk, smushing my hair down like it did any good.

I went quickly around the front of the house, hoping my hurry did not make me trip on something.

"Excuse me. What are you doing?"

He explained that there was white wisteria on the wall. I live here, so I know that. He showed me the bean like seed carriers and told me these were white wisteria seeds. I know that, too. He said he had the lavender wisteria and wanted some white wisteria, too. He hoped I did not mind since he did not go onto my property.

I explained I did not care, that I just could not imagine what he was getting. He said it would take ten years for it to bloom. That cannot be right. I offered to give him some that had rooted, you know, the kind that trips me!

So, that was the highlight of my day.

Just looking out my window, sometimes the front and sometimes the picture window, or the kitchen or bedrooms, I see all sorts of things--car break-ins, home vandalism, fights in a parking lot, peeping tom at neighbor house.  I don't spend so long at the windows, but things happen. All this has not happened where I live now. I like to look out my windows. While I am not looking for anything in particular, I see squirrel antics or people antics. I love to see the trees and the sky.

Once, I heard a dog making noise/yapping and looked out the back window to see a neighbor dog hanging by his collar from the fence. I ran out of the house and told neighbor boy who ran into my yard and leaped easily over the fence and rescued the dog. The dog jumped on something and tried to make a getaway.

Today, I stayed home today. So, no money was spent on anything. That means I also cooked/ate from home.

The house still is messy from almost three months being ill. I piddled and threw out paper stuff, worked on kitchen and bathroom, doing a bit on each. Someone who was supposed to get stuff out of the car for herself did not call, show up, or answer her phone. I am giving this away, so why not come?

Do you ever sit or stand and look out the window? Why? Do you like seeing nature, people, animals? Do you ever accidentally see something that calls for action?

8 comments:

  1. When we were first married hubby was in the Navy and there was a class for dependents. A lot of time was spent on 'situational awareness', in other words being aware of your surroundings. Among other things we were taught to look out our windows to become familiar with what was supposed to be there so that we could recognize anything that was out of the ordinary.

    So, I have been looking out our windows on all sides of our houses for the past 50 years. What have I seen? Trespassers believing that woods were public lands, a day old fawn, a 3-ft alligator, a pair of red-tailed hawks teaching their offspring to fly, someone taking photos of neighboring houses to get "a feel" for the neighborhood (called that in to the police), a wild turkey with 11 babies trailing after it, kids drawing dirty pictures on a telephone pole (I contacted their parents), lots of birds, butterflies, squirrels, a few mice and trees going from pale green leaf buds to beautiful multicolored fall leaves.

    Looking out the windows has brought me much happiness over the years and I will continue to do that as long as I'm alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      That would be a good class for all of us or a good practice. That is how I saw the peeping tom. I knew the husband was not home and knew that the guy was not his size. Husband was big, tall guy and did not smoke. Peeping tom was short and scrawny smoker. People should at least know neighbors by sight. Thanks. I enjoy looking out the windows. I see lots of animals, too.

      Delete
  2. My living room and dining room windows look out on a greenbelt and all the houses around me have large evergreens, so beyond the greenbelt are lots of trees. We face a small valley, so the trees are seen better than the homes. If I wasn't up so early and it is still dark, I could sit, have my tea and look at all the beautiful trees. By the time the sun comes up, I am moving around cleaning, organizing and getting on with my day. Will have to spend more time looking out the windows at what is going on. Seems like a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      Pausing to look out the windows for a few moments is how I found out there was an armadillo, a ground hog, and lots of dastardly ground squirrels or chipmunks. I also saw a woman come and get my kitten and was able to confront her. She is such a hoity toity that it is a wonder she gave it back. It is amazing the wonders of nature that take a few moments to discover. But, sometimes 15 seconds is all it takes!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I look out all the time and have seen things that required action - from rescuing pets to unruly teens and someone trying to break in to a neighbors house (which I called the police and the neighbor). Lots of animals now - because every window in our house looks out to trees - so lots of birds, snakes, bunnies, road runners, deer, insects of all kinds, woodpeckers, squirrels, spiders and their webs, pollen blowing, leaves falling - LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      You have the same experiences I do except more of them with all the nature around. I love it, too. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. The last 4 years at my old house, whether I looked out the front or the back all's we saw were druggies. Either buying drugs at the window of the house behind us, or going down the road in front our our house to buy drugs from the neighbors at end of street. 24/7 literally. Now, I look out my office back window and can see a bit of the grade school playground down the street, kids playing before school and at recess. I see mountains, rabbits, the occasional deer. Just peace and quiet all around. Much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. one,
    I remember those horrifying days. I was worried about you. Where you live now seems much more peaceful and safe.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.