Contact Me

Saturday, February 3, 2018

Clearance, Plan, Scary Movie, List things

Friday, As I went around WM, getting what I needed, I was intent on what I needed but noticed a display of aluminum bakeware, the disposable kind. Some had the plastic lids.

All of a sudden, I paid attention to several of the disposable pans in a woman's cart. I know I sounded alarmed when I asked her if those were on sale. "Yes, up front in the doorway." As fast as I could, I returned to the display.

There were only very large roasting pans left. I picked up a few of those, very disappointed I had missed the ones with plastic covers. But, I had a plan. I went to the department aisle display of the same item and found there were more of the covered ones, but not marked. A friendly employee told me those were not on sale. When I asked her to check and they were clearance priced, too, she was surprised.

I bought some of the covered pans packed two to a unit for 50 cents.

7 units of two pans @ 50cents each unit, 13x9 cake pans w/lids
2 units of two pans @ 50 cents each unit, 12x9 roaster pans, deep w/lids
11 units of one pan,  50 cents each unit, 12x16 deep roaster pans
9 units of one pan, @ 50 cents each unit,  20x12, giant size pasta pan, steam table pan

That is 48 pans, I think, for $14.50. Some of these will be used for planting lettuces. By using two pans, one inside the other with drain holes in the top pan and rock between the pans and in the bottom pan, I think I will be successful. I have rocket, spinach, lettuce and other salad seeds.

The lidded units of two pans are much cheaper, plus they have lids, good for growing like a little greenhouse. The ones in the store with lids for greenhouse growing are about $8 each. I am happy! I never use disposable pans for cooking/baking, but for this price, I can.


It's Alive
It is a horror movie about an abusive man who traps unsuspecting people to feed to his prehistoric monster he has found. This movie is tense but nothing to make me upset. It turned out the prehistoric lizard was a better "person" than the human. All ends well once the underground lair and prison are dynamited. But, as any good monster movie ends with a question, this one did, too. "The End?" was how it ended. Water underground was gurgling.

Saturday Shopping

I bought Cokes on sale, loss leader, Dasani water reduced to $3.99. Pimiento was not on sale, but I bought four of the tiny jars. This store is the only store that carries pimiento grown and packed in the US. Okay, WM and Publix are the only other places I checked.

Store 1--Warehouse Discount Grocery or WDG
Cokes
Dasani
Pimiento
green grapes


Store 2--WM
Leaf lettuce
broccoli crowns
Kraft Medium Cheddar, 8 oz chunk
1/2 gallon orange juice
3 bananas

Green grapes were $1.99/lb. Broccoli crowns were $1.78. Usually, there are great stems/stalks  attached for the same price. Everything else was regular price. I miss price matching. I keep Dasani in the trunk so that I can get water without resorting to buying water at the store or a Coke. Yes, I know I can bring it from tap at home and usually do. Two bottles of water cost the same as a 24-pack. Plus, I refill the bottles a couple of times.

If I don't keep up with receipts, I can use posts to recreate a history.

Dinner tonight was a leaf lettuce, cold turkey breast, MW and water. green grapes

There are still things on the list to keep me busy through Tuesday. I think I will bake something tonight, like cake, brownies, cookies.

The weather was great today, if a little chilly. How was your Saturday? Do you ever get the urge to bake?





8 comments:

  1. Great buy on the pans for growing greens. With care they'll last longer than the real thing - I find those get brittle and break after one or two uses/seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a super buy on the pans. I had never thought of using them to start seedlings, but it is a brilliant idea.
    And yes, sometimes I get an intense yen to bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plastic cover was the inspiration. I want brownies! Now! Do I dare? Yes, I will.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy entries like this one, simple daily doings and what the ellict.

    ReplyDelete
  4. urspo,
    Thanks. It was just that, simple daily doings. I am catching up from days I was too ill or feeling blah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I definitely get the urge to bake. I saw the recipe for Texas Sheet Cake on Pinterest yesterday and had a strong urge to bake it. But as Superman and I are both trying to "reduce" (as my Grandmama used to say) I thought better of baking a large sheet cake. Even though it's moist and full of chocolaty goodness. With pecans.

    In related news, I treated myself to a Cinnabon today when I went to the next large city near our tiny city. We don't have access to Cinnabon in my town. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. java,
      I too need to reduce so I resisted the urge to bake. Chocolate and pecans are the best combination. I have never had a Cinnabon, maybe someday. It is better to buy one thing than have a whole pan full. My opinion.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.