Contact Me

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Crockpot Chicken, Jelly, Inserts, Hot and Cold, Haircut

Saturday evening, I put a chicken in the crockpot. It barely fit in the 4 qt. Crockpot. I had to mash it down to get it in. Today, I saved legs and thighs for exbf and breast for me. Yum!

He went to his church where they were celebrating 200 year anniversary of the founding. He brought home a plate of bbq, slaw, and other things that he said would make two or three meals. That makes for a happy man. It rides on the seat of his walker, so he can handle it.

Saturday evening and today, I cooked down 2 gallons of blueberries, one gallon on Saturday and one on Sunday. After I left them to drain in a colander, I had a quart of juice last night. Today, I didn't put any water in them, nor did I cook them down as long. I ended up with about a cup and a half of juice.

The juice is in the refrigerator. Today, Sunday, I bought Sure-Jell to make jelly. Cooked blueberries were strained through a colander and should be strained through cloth to make clear jelly. I am not making this for a competition or for show, so I will use the murky juice full of blueberry matter. Monday, I will make jelly. I don't remember ever making blueberry jelly.

There were three coupon inserts in today's Sunday paper. Two of them were only two sheets folded, so only 8 pages of coupons as opposed to three or four times that for a normal Sunday insert. Bummer!

Friday, I went to buy the newspapers for the last three Sundays since I was ill one Sunday and forgot another Sunday. I don't remember why I did not get one on the other Sunday. I bought one newspaper and the other Sunday with four inserts was sold out. However, someone had bought the paper and did not want the inserts, so I was given a whole stack of inserts.  Lucky me.

It is so hot in my area with daytime temps of high 60s. Then, tonight it is about 49 and sprinkling, just enough to make me feel very cold. So, heater gets turned off and then on. It's an awkward time of the year. I am continually taking off socks, putting on sandals, off the  sweatshirt, now I am too cool. it keeps me busy.

Sunday, I cut my bangs and they look great. Then, I cut some angled on the sides, and I am not sure if I ruined it or not. When exbf comes this week, he is going to cut the back for me, just the length. I was going to get it cut. I do not like my hair washed at the shop but I come in with it fresh, clean, and dry. I want to walk out after the cut. So, no washing, no water or towels or person used. Nothing, no product or time spent on me afterward. I always hate the product and must wash it out when I get home. I hate hairspray because of the smell and it makes my face break out. She wanted $18 for just the cut. No!

Your turn
Do you make blueberry jelly? What is your favorite jelly? Did you notice the coupon inserts were skimpy today? Or, was it just my paper? Are the temps where you are so variable that you have to take clothes off and on and actually turn the heat off and then on a bit later? Am I the only one who thinks $18 is a lot for just the haircut, trim length of hair, no layering?


15 comments:

  1. 18 bucks for a haircut is very reasonable here.
    I have never made blueberry jelly, but I have made blueberry preserves. I generally prefer preserves over jelly, but I make corn cob jelly and it is out of this world delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,$18 for only the haircut? Then, I will pass. I don't want to pay for the chance it will be horrible. I do prefer preserves over jelly, too. But, these frozen blueberries seem to have such sharp little seeds. I need to remember to make corncob jelly this year. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. tana50,
      Anne may have the recipe on her blog. I have never made it but have thought of making it. Made with corncobs.

      Delete
  2. Way back in the mid 80s I was paying $10 for a haircut every 8 weeks. The stylist was so wonderful it was worth every penny. Then she had twins and quit - so I started cutting my own hair.

    Fast forward to about 2004 and I started going to one of those 'cheap' haircut shops where that's all they do. Price for seniors is now up to $14 and takes about 8 min - honest, the stylist bragged about her time. The last 2 cuts were not good so I'm going to go back to cutting my own hair. It's short, hubby will trim the back so it's even and I wear a hat for sun protection whenever I go out so if I mess it up it won't matter.

    I subscribe to the newspaper on line so don't get the inserts. I do use the on-line coupon site, read the store ads on line. Since I buy very few name brands I don't think I miss out on many savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, bragging about your time and giving a not-so-good haircut would be the kiss of death for me and that hairdresser.

      I think I messed it up on the sides, but exbf will cut the back when he comes this week. My hair is long, so even if he messed up, it is only the bottom and I can get it cut elsewhere.

      I don't do subscriptions for newspapers because I hate getting wet and muddy newspapers. And, I don't buy a paper every week. you have it worked out.

      Delete
  3. I don't pay anything to get my hair done--haven't for decades. It's long and straight. I have DH trim it every now and then, and color it myself when I feel like it. I do know people, however, who spend hundreds for a cut and color, so maybe $18 isn't bad?
    I have made blueberry jam, and blueberry syrup, but never blueberry jelly. We tend to like jam more than jelly here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      It has been about 2.5 years since I paid. I was going to get on professional cut and keep not paying. Maybe it is not bad, but I am out. I like jam better, too, but these blueberries have seeds that are annoying, small and sharp and annoy my gums and get in teeth where they can be seen on front teeth...lol...so not liking them at all. Otherwise, I eat jam. I will eat either!

      Delete
  4. I cut my own hair. I used to pick up pocket money in college cutting hair. And I have always cut my family's hair. I have cut my husband's hair since we were married, over 45 years ago. So we don't spend on hair cuts. We don't get the newspaper anymore. They stopped all the columns I loved to read and I can get the comics online. I do miss sitting at the kitchen table every morning reading the paper, but it just wasn't worth the money anymore. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      That was a good way to pick up money. You must have been popular. I cut my husband's, son's. and two daughters' hair. but had no one to cut mine. The local paper does not have much, either. Thanks. I am cold and hot by turns!

      Delete
  5. I am more of a preserves kind of girl, although I have never made my own jelly or preserves for that matter.

    Around here a simple haircut/trim will run you $18-$20 for an adult and $12-$15 for a child. I trim my daughter's hair and cut my sons' and hubby's hair here at home. I get mine cut maybe once a year (and usually it is a birthday or Christmas present treat from my mom); but I usually have it highlighted, etc at the same time so it is more than $20. If I don't then I will have my husband trim it at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I have made my own preserves and jelly for years, so I want to start again.

      Thanks. Maybe $18 is not out of line. I need a gift hair cut...lol. I used to give mama money for a permanent, what she wanted for birthday.

      Delete
  6. I found my hairdresser at one of those strip mall places. Not long after I began using her she was in a very serious automobile accident and since then has not been able to stand long enough to go to work. She has been on so since then. She continues to cut my hair here at the house (35 years). She has never set s price. For many years I have her $20 probably 15 years ago I upped it to $30. I LOVE. Her and am happy to give her some pocket money. All I have to tell her is I HAVE A TANGLE and she comes in the next day or two. Having a tangle is a joke I wear my hair very short & close and haven’t had a tangle in 40 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      My absolutely best hairdresser long ago died from an explosion when she poured gasoline on a supposedly dead fire in the fireplace. She died a horrible death after three weeks. So, the search was on for another. The fabulous hairdresser I have used for the last 20+ years had to have a thumb replacement on her right hand. I am not up to searching again. She only charged me $15. but since I had cancer, she refused payment.

      Tangles is my middle name. My hair is long and today the wind blew fiercely, so my hair was all tangled. My name in the same vein would be "Curly."

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.