Contact Me

Friday, February 9, 2018

A New "Appliance"

We purchased this from Walmart, about $20 including tax. This will positively impact our health and hopefully my weight.  We both have diabetes. It makes spirals and ribbons from vegetables and fruits.

Exbf came today (Thursday) and the plan for lunch was spaghetti sauce with spiralized zucchini and Parmesan. That did not happen. A coupon for Arby's got sandwiches and $1 got us two cokes from the machine in Walmart. I had returned something so had what felt like free money. It was not free, but I was too ill to think about spiralizing anything or eating what was in the house.

You can read about it here. Veggetti

Monday, I think, I had visited a lumberyard and gone into the huge area where people had been sawing. The second breath I took sent me into a coughing fit. Since then, I have just started coughing, seeing stars before my eyes as I coughed so hard. People run from me as they are alarmed by the cough.

Thursday, I awoke to the alarm before 9 am. I was so confused as to where I was, why was the alarm ringing, what to do. I was dazed like when you take a fifteen minute nap and are so discombobulated when you first awake, wondering what is happening. I staggered upright and continued to be confused and light-headed most of the day. Thank goodness exbf was here to drive me to doctor and WM for meds.

We took our lunch to the doctor's office to eat in the car while I waited my turn. So, I signed in before 1 pm. and got out of there about 4:30. There was only one person ahead of me, waiting to see the doctor. ???

The nurse could get not hit a vein as I was dehydrated. I had forgotten to bring water to drink, so all day I had none.  My urine was clear except for ketones. ??? The doctor said she thought I had walking pneumonia but a blood test was the way to confirm her thoughts. So, she said she would treat me for walking pneumonia. I got a shot in both hips and three prescriptions. The only symptom I could give the doctor was I was dizzy and it hurt just a bit to breathe and I occasionally coughed! I had a slight temp. She had little to go on. Well, she did say she had seen lots of walking pneumonia  in the office.

Exbf said he could tell I felt ill because my eyes were dull. Dinner did not happen either. I went in the house and packed food for him to take home: thawed, sliced ham from freezer; raw broccoli, zucchini, and yellow squash;  grapes, Halos, apples; leaves of leaf lettuce and a whole tomato. I had baked carrots for him and forgot to put those in the bag. He had cheese and ham sandwich and a salad when he arrived at his house.

This Thursday night, I sit here feeling like I might just live. For dinner (after a nap) I had a Halo and then a bowl of spaghetti sauce with lots of Parmesan cheese. It was like spaghetti soup and delicious.

There were no decent yellow squash at WM yesterday or Publix today, and they were expensive. One small yellow squash that looked like it had been tossed about was 85 cents.

Has anyone used the Veggetti? There was another spiralizer there, about the same cost. But, the one employee who had used one had used the Veggetti and loved it. Do you use another appliance to spiralize? This one makes ribbons, too, so I can use zucchini for pasta in lasagna.. 

10 comments:

  1. I have a different type of spiraliser, a bit smaller. zucchini works well in it. thats no good that you're sick, get lots of rest - I had pneumonia twice a few years ago and it took mea long time to recover so take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks.I also have one that is tiny like a tube of lipstick. It is completely hand held, but I know I cannot manipulate it. This makes the flu, horrid uti, and now walking pneumonia. I can imagine you had a hard time getting over that. A 58 yr old woman had two types of flu, one after the other and died in the hospital...scary stuff.

      Delete
  2. I have a hand held spiralizer that functions kind of like an old fashioned pencil sharpener. You shove the vegetable in a twist. It works fine for zucchini and carrots "spaghetti" but not much else. Plus it can not spiralize the entire vegetable. I wind up with a bunch of crayon shaped stubs in the freezer to use in soups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that gadget over between frozen food and meat. Wonder why it was hanging there? It looked too labor intensive for my hand. Did anyone wonder why the vegetables were like little pencils? "My what skinny little carrots and zucchinis we have."

      Delete
  3. Gosh, L, wish there was some way you could build up your immunity. Sorry you are sick! As for the spiralizer, I got a cheapie one as a gift last year and gave it away. I'll stick to pasta and plain cut up veggies LOL- I'm not real creative in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I do, too! If this one doesn't work out, I will end up slicing zucchini into the spaghetti sauce like I do now. I don't try for creativity, lol, just read how it makes it look like real pasta. We will see. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh. Walking pneumonia?!! Take care of yourself. I had a friend tell me a trick to calm coughs, and it worked for me. Spread some Vicks on the bottom of your feet at night and put on socks. You are lucky I am not in your home. I would be feeling your forehead for a fever, asking you all about how you are feeling and what you are taking. I would bring Vicks, kleenex, pineapple juice, paper towels, paper cups, paper plates and plastic silverware. Within ten minutes you would be asking me when I was leaving. LOL Feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I need a little bit of that attention when I am at my worst. I would just turn over and tell you I was going to take a nap...lol.
      even when I am desperately ill and exbf is here, he does nothing for me. He would need his walker to bring anything to me. He is sympathetic. I do put Vicks on the soles of my feet but not this time. The coughing spasms are few and far between, thankfully. In the past, I have even gone out with Vicks on my feet and really don't care if I smell like Vicks. Thanks

      Delete
  5. What an adventure! I hope your device turns out useful and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      Thanks. I will post the results. I think it will be both useful and fun. If I eat more vegetables and fewer carbs, it will be a good deal.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.