Contact Me

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Spectacular Free Lunch and Other Food and Stuff

Since the eye doctor locked the door as I left and the phones were off, too, I had no idea if I should be careful washing my hair or not wash my hair. I envisioned having a multitude of holes in my eye that might get infected. Consequently, I did not wash my hair before Tuesday activities.

Exbf came and we went to the Tuesday free lunch. So, half the town has seen me in greasy hair. Plus, I was going to wear the only orange blouse I own. No, could not find it but I looked for all of three seconds since I was running late and he was waiting in the car. The blouse was on sale for $1, so I thought it was a good price for something bought to wear once a year.

The decorations for the lunch were the spectacular part. All the round tables had black tablecloths and a bouquet of dead and half dead flowers and weeds. Each place had a Halloween bag of candy. All the people who serve and cook and work in the eating area dressed in Halloween costumes/attire. The whole scene was quite festive.

We had some sort of Mexican dish--huge bed of lettuce, chopped tomatoes on top, chopped onions, cheese, salsa, sour cream and a pile of chips on the other half of the plate. Of course, I only had lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream. I had the thinnest slice ever of pumpkin bread and the chocolate icing from a tiny square of cake and unsweetened iced tea.

I brought home a to go plate for both of us. They served me little cheese and practically no sour cream because they were running out. We went to store where I got an 8 oz container of sour cream. I had lots of shredded cheese, so I was able to fix my salad.  I ate all this well after dinner. He will probably eat his today.

For dinner here I had put carrots, potatoes, an onion, bit of dehydrated celery, two cloves of garlic, and bit salt in crockpot. He had two chopped German hotdogs with his. I had plenty of potatoes and found four carrots in the refrigerator, so we each had two carrots, one for dinner and one in leftovers. The onion had just started to go off, growing green in it. So, in a way I saved the food from doom.

With most of the potatoes I may make a potato, cheddar, bacon soup. I sampled this at Publix and loved it, unlike all the potato soup in my past. The cheese and bacon salvage it for me, I think. Daddy made potato soup, and I just hated it.

At the lunch the people I sit with are friends and relatives. They began talking about pecans and the trees one of them has. Last year, they got 25 5-gallon buckets of pecans. I was relating how I grew up with pecan trees, about 10 trees at both places we lived and how pecans were my favorite nut. I replace any nut in a recipe with pecans.

The woman with whom I sit at the lunch asked me if I would like pecans. We made plans for me to pick up some that day! So, I we drove over and it was given a quart bag of pecan halves. They had just come from the freezer, last year's crop. He sat in the car for the forty-five  minutes I stayed inside. After my late salad, I ate 10 pecan halves. I was in ecstasy. Then, she assured me she would give me more when this year's crop came in. Yesssssssssss!

I checked the potato I had planted and little bits of green sprouts had appeared. I thought they had grown out of the soil, but I think that the rain washed the soil from around the sprouts that were showing. I am debating as to whether to cover them again or leaving them exposed. Leaves are what should emerge.

Tuesday, I still felt awful with a lingering headache from the eye doctor, so I did not put the cabbage in the crockpot with the carrots and potatoes and onion because I lay down too long. The cabbage has been here forever and forgotten, so I will put that in the crockpot today with another bunch of potatoes and an onion. Maybe the potato soup will be cooked on Friday. hmmm

From the looks of my refrigerator, I don't need to go grocery shopping, or at least for vegetables. Plus, I have plenty of bananas and apples and grapes. The sweet potatoes are waiting, too. I won't need milk until Saturday, and I bought orange juice on Tuesday when I bought the sour cream.

I thawed a package of chicken legs to cook for exbf. A package of bacon is thawed for eating with eggs and for the potato soup. I am set for food!

Maybe I ate my Halloween candy. At the lunch each plate had its own bag of Halloween candy. Yes, I finished it during the day and last night. Hopefully, I will get more somehow...lol...not buying it because I will eat too much.




11 comments:

  1. halloween is not really celebrated here (although some families are starting to get their kids out begging for sweets they already have too much of) so I am not familiar with decorations etc but i really like the idea of vases with weeds and dead flowers.

    I went dumpster diving with my kids last night, it was my first time. We got two orange and poppy seed cakes, a loaf of bread, chocolate muffins, two packs of veggie burgers and 15 gourmet cheeses worth about $180. Not bad at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie your post made me smile. My husband is a dedicated dumpster diver and we have gotten lots of food that I would not pay for. Great score on the cheese!

      Delete
    2. it's a fabulous money saver and helps us to have a luxury here or there!

      Delete
  2. kylie,
    We don't think of it as begging at all. It is a great ritual here. That was a great haul. I wish I were dumpster diving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My clients enjoy dressing up in costumes- I like Halloween for that reason too! Yum for the pecans- I love nuts but especially pecans and would love to have some fresh ones. Your luncheon sounded very nice- my church is having a big potluck after services soon and one is planned for a November Thanksgiving treat. We never charge but a side dish is appreciated. Since I like to bake, I usually make a dessert to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAN,
      Dressing in costume is such a playful thing to do. We adults don't have many occasions to be playful. These pecans, though previously frozen, are fat and soft. Some of these churches not only have these public lunches and dinners, but they have dinners after services and at other times. I usually make a dessert when I go to potluck.

      Delete
  4. Linda, I take exception to parents who take their kids to every neighborhood on successive nights to get as much candy as possible. No wonder our kids are fat! And I think this encourages greed. We have never had a single child because our houses are so far apart. But I do miss it from the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carol,
      That does seem excessive. That was not a thing when my children were little. My main problem is worrying about my running over one of them.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. JACKIESUE,
      I love holidays, period! But, Halloween is high on the list, along with Christmas.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.