Contact Me

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

UK Batchelor's Beans and Sunshine

First, I am sitting here at 10:40, waiting for J who was going to be here at 10:00. She was at fault for getting herself fired, and I can see why! She rushed out yesterday after two hours, swearing she was through and all was done right. NO, not so. She knows she will have to correct what she did yesterday. Has anyone seen anyone stack bowls on their sides?

Okay, on to the subject at hand--beans.

Batchelor's is obviously a brand in UK. The picture of the beans on the can look like Pork and Beans. And, they taste almost the same, but better. I don't like pork and beans. I did put one bean in my mouth and thought I would rather  eat these than our brands. These had a bit more spiciness and flavor. Exbf approved, too. So, I sent the rest home with him.

When I was a child, we ate pork and beans straight from the can. I ate them because they were what we were eating and I was hungry. I think we ate these with a sandwich for lunch or something. With a meal they were heated, and I hated them heated and still do.

They were used for baked beans, not a favorite dish at all. But, my kids loved baked beans. I think the UK brand would make excellent baked beans.

Today, the sun is exceptionally bright, it seems. But, after four dreary days, I am in love with today. I hear it will cool off next week. As long as the sun shines, I don't mind the temperature, whatever it is.

10:51 and she is still not here and has her phone off.....urge to kill.

By the way, "straight from the can" means we poured them out and ate them without warming them or making any additions. We did not take a spoon and eat out of the can.  Even Nick (in Hemingway's Big Two-Hearted River) who was on a camping trip, poured them into a pan to heat. But, then he added a can of spaghetti. Just gross. Hemingway ate his pork and beans with spaghetti. Just yuck.

Your turn
Is the sun shining at your house today? Have you ever eaten Batchelor's Beans? Do you like them? If your are from UK or have eaten these beans, how are they prepared?




18 comments:

  1. I have never seen Batchelor's Beans in our stores. The canned beans here that I like are Bush's Baked Beans. But the best tasting beans are the ones I can myself. I can make the sauce just the way I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki,
      I checked the post and I forgot to mention this is a UK product.

      Delete
  2. Not familiar with bachelor beans. Is that a brand name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carol,
      Batchelor's is a UK brand. I forgot to mention that, so I added it to post and to title of post.

      Delete
  3. Well that comment worked. I love baked beans and make them frequently. My husband loves them with whole onions, more onions than beans. So I cook the onions in the microwave before I add them. I you f if I just snip off he stem end I can squeeze them out by the root. I have always found it curious that the British include beans with their big breakfast. Or have beans on toast. Right out of the can?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carol,
      I have never tried to cook a whole onion in the microwave. That is something I have to try. I have thought it curious that the Brits eat beans at breakfast, also. But, I love nothing better than a bowl of field peas for breakfast. Yes, we just put the coldish beans on our plates. That is the only way I could eat pork and beans...lol.

      Delete
  4. I haven't ever eaten Batchelor's beans brand, but have had Bush's baked beans, which I like. It kind of sounds like your friend J is sliding backwards. Is she looking for a new job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I forgot to mention it is a UK brand but corrected that in post now. She is depressed. She has a tooth infected. Most are rotted to gums but she will not go where they can all be extracted! She is working here for part of three days and I will buy a $25 money order she must pay to some court. Next week, she will work and I will pay for her driver's license.

      Delete
  5. Very smart Linda as it relates to J- (paying for specific things and truly helping, sounds like mutually beneficial) but just be careful of your safety if she is sliding backwards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GoFigure,
      Before she turned herself in and spent 6 weeks in jail, I had just paid her $56 for working. We agreed I would hold money until she was ready to go so she would have money in jail. Well, she bought cigarettes, they went out to eat twice, and she had no money for going to jail! Her bf who took her did not know what happened to his money. So, she had to wait a few days and hope he found money to send her. He likes to spend her money first and then he is good to her and gives her money when she needs it. GAG!

      Delete
  6. I like baked beans from a can (never tried Batchelors) but I like mine heated up. I actually use them in chili to make it a bit sweeter as kidney beans and black beans are hard on my hubby's stomach but baked beans seem to be ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chick,
      These are in the section where UK foods are found. I got these given to me because they were almost out of date, or I never would have had them. Pork and beans are the only thing I have ever used to make baked beans. I wonder how they could be easier on his stomach? Maybe you could use great Northern beans for his baked beans. I think that is what pork and beans use. thanks for that info.

      Delete
  7. My family, both sides, love baked beans with several types of beans, bacon, onion, hamburger, and BBQ sauce.They are a cabin treat and get devoured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      That sounds like a dish I made for my children that they loved. But, it had another name that I cannot remember. I need to look up that recipe. My kids devoured mine, too.

      Delete
  8. Calico Beans! Sam's are calico beans. I make them when I bring something to a potluck. All I ever bring home is a dirty pan. Everyone loves them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      Thanks. Not my beans. But, I am going to look up this recipe.

      Delete
  9. Batchelors beans are what we call baked beans here in the UK.
    To eat them just tip the contents into a bowl and eat cold, or warm through in a microwave.
    I eat them on hot buttered toast with grated cheese on top.
    They're a good cheap source of protein.
    A very useful store cupboard food. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Thanks. I needed to hear from someone from the UK. I would eat these cold since they are almost identical to our pork and beans. Our baked beans are a concoction of beans, bacon, sugar, molasses sometimes, and tomato sauce of some kind. We Americans don't understand the beans for breakfast bit. It would never occur to me to put cheese on top. I am quite sure you don't understand some of our food customs, either.

      I had a friend who said he ate mashed up pinto beans on bread as a sandwich when he was a child and they did not have much food. He said he still enjoys them.

      I can see how they are a good, cheap source of protein and a great storage food.

      Daddy liked beans in a bowl, like soup. He ate a piece of bread and some onion with that. I really hated them like that. Now, I have a new appreciation for a bowl full of beans!

      Thank you for giving us that information.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.