Contact Me

Monday, October 23, 2017

Garden Hose Dead and Car Washed

About thirty-years ago, I bought two 50' hoses. They were very expensive. Due to age and people using them around here and leaving them in kinks, they are breaking. So, I gave J the black duct tape to fix the huge hole so she could use the water hose at full power. I suppose next year I will need to buy new hoses. That is annoying!

I have repaired them with the hose repair metal pieces. Well, I had a friend do it since it very difficult to do. Maybe I will just keep taping them for a few more years. Maybe not since they crackle when the kink is straightened. They will make good irrigation hoses when I replace them.

Sunday, J was to be here at 10 am to wash my car for $5. She set the time. At 10:05, she called saying she would be here in a bit. Well, I am not upset at her being here a little after 10 am. It is when she sets the time and does not respond to my calling an hour after she plans to be here that I am annoyed. Usually, it is two or three hours later, and I am livid.

She did a great job on the car. It was filthy. However, she could not start until I went away. I had sat nearby on the stone bench, just because. She stood, talked, and smoked. She says she works better with music, so she would wait for me to leave so she could turn on her phone. grrr

I discussed this with exbf. Neither of us works "better" to music. If I listen to music when I work, it is because I want to listen to music. He said it was the same for him. Music is an extra for us, not a necessity, a must.

She was yelling at men going by who were looking at her, or us, or her antics, or just because no one and no car is ever in that part of the yard.  Who knows why people look? I don't.  I really don't like that kind of trashy behavior in my yard. Besides, I am not a traffic watcher to see who comes and goes in the neighborhood.

She took out my trash as she was leaving the house to wash the car. We looked at the pot with the potato planted. It is there, not disturbed. I saw the largest, fattest chipmunk in my yard today. It will be just my luck that he likes potatoes! I had not seen a chipmunk in ages, so I thought all the cats had eaten them.

Occasionally, there is a Sunday paper in my driveway. She brought it to me. So, I didn't have to buy a Sunday paper today. Yay me! Saved $2.

After much insisting from me, J showed me her resume that a friend of her generous host wrote for her. It is a disaster. So, I will rewrite it for her to give her the best chance of using it for a job.  The resume she has will not help her and probably hurt her chances of getting a job. She insisted she did not need for me to look at her resume because it was really good.

Every place she worked, she listed "friend." She put down all the same people as references with our phone numbers. I really did not mind she listed my name and number, but I told her should never list anyone as a reference, personal or business, without asking permission first. I thought she was going to cry as she said she did not think I would care. sigh

She was strange and moody today. But, my car is clean, very clean. I think she is not happy with what she made. She was here from about 10:15 until 1 pm washing the car. She knew how dirty the car was, so she should have spoken up if I was not going to give her enough.

Oh, I forgot--bf was there at home and she had to get back to him!

We ate Reese's Ghosts. This is a ghost shape of Reese's cups but coated in white chocolate. I highly recommend them.

Sunday was a great day-- a clean car and mowed yard, and the potato survived its first night! The temperature was pleasant and the sun was shining. What should I plant next?

Your turn
How long do your water hoses last? Remember, I am planting in a thick pot, not a five-gallon bucket. It gets sun and I can keep it warm. What should or could I plant?

16 comments:

  1. Linda do you have some kind of grate to put over your pot? With a brick on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an oven rack, but the little chipmunks/ground squirrels/tree squirrels can get through that. I have a piece of hardware cloth I ma going to cut to fit over the pot, put the oven rack on that and then a brick on that. Hopely, I can get to this before the varmints do.

      Delete
  2. I have chipmunks everywhere and they dig my bulbs up on a regular basis. Hopefully you can out smart yours.
    Have you ever tried growing broccoli or brussels sprouts? Since they are cool weather crops they might do nicely here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I thought the many cats around here had driven them out or killed them. Obviously not. Do the chipmunks eat your hosta bulbs?

      No, but I like both. Maybe I will. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I am glad J is helping you around the houe but reading your frustrations, also wondering whether it is worth it. Have they lined up the next place they will crash at? Is it far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'Pol,
      I think there would be frustrations with anyone, just different ones. As of Sunday, they have nowhere. I hope it is the apt they were talking about, close enough she can walk or I won't have to drive far.

      Delete
  4. Good luck finding hoses that will last 30 years nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa,
      That's what I am afraid of! The next hoses should be the last ones I ever need.

      Delete
  5. I don't think our good hoses lasted 30 years. DH buys good ones and takes care of them (drains them and puts away in winter). He just said a month or so ago his his hoses were getting old and stiff and we'd have to get new ones for next season. I'd say maybe they lasted 15 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine had only been left out for the last five years or so. Otherwise, they might have lasted longer.

      Delete
  6. I have no idea how long lives the hoses. I think they arrived with us to AZ back in 2005. This is extraordinary as they sit out in the nasty summers here.
    I remember getting a drink from the hose was considered a lovey summer treat. I think we are not supposed to do that anymore. pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ur-spo,
      I suppose hot summers would probably be destructive, too. The water hose is probably safer now than long ago. I would still get a drink, but probably not drink exclusively from a water hose.

      Delete
  7. I've never had hoses last that long either. You have certainly gotten your money worth on those hoses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dime,
      People have told me about many things that I get good mileage. I use things carefully and follow directions. But, these were expensive, so they should have lasted a long time. I think I have the lifetime warranty papers here. hmmm

      Delete
  8. the garden I have by the center has a hose that we have to stretch out..there are 2 hooked together..when I get thru using it it is stretched almost the entire length.I always rewind it..who ever else uses it..never rerolls it..pisses me off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone has ever rolled this hose up except for me until I could not. I don't blame you for being pissed off.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.