Contact Me

Friday, October 27, 2017

A Reason to Turn on the Oven

It has been very cool in the house, cool enough for a tshirt, sweatshirt, and long pants, socks and shoes. However, outside it was still shorts weather. I didn't want to open the window.

While I won't turn on the oven to warm the house, I will take advantage of the warmth of the oven. I have a reason to use the oven.

At the Thursday free dinner, we were given two pounds of peanuts. There may be more. I decided to eat a few at lunch since I had nothing in mind to eat. I put one peanut in my mouth and was sorely disappointed. It is raw. yuck

I will put the peanuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet and put them into the oven. Then, I will turn the oven on 350 F, leave the oven on until it beeps telling me it has reached 350 F. THEN, I will turn if off and leave the peanuts in the oven until the oven cools. The peanuts will be done.

I will not salt these. Exbf does not need the salt. He will always choose salty nuts. However, he never says a word when I give him unsalted peanuts.

It's evening, so a bit of warmth will feel good.

Your turn
How do you roast peanuts? Do you soak them in brine?

9 comments:

  1. I've never roasted peanuts, but have used them raw to make peanut brittle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dime,
      I never thought about whether the peanuts for peanut brittle should be roasted or raw. However, that makes sense since I suppose they will cook in the process of making p brittle. I think I made peanut brittle when I was in high school.

      Delete
  2. I have never roasted peanuts. I would be afraid of burning them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      So far, I never have. I smelled burning, but it was the stems, I guess, because they are okay. Plus, I got the time wrong on the post.

      Delete
  3. I've never roasted my own nuts. In fact I like to buy them raw (cashew nuts) to make milk. If I want to snack on them I tend to buy mixed, salted ones but only on the best sale (in bulk). Sometimes as a treat I'll buy a bag of pistachios but this is quite the treat.

    I do use the oven especially at this time of year and the clothes dryer. After cooking I leave the oven door open and while the dryer is going I leave the laundry door open so the heat can go in the front room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I love pistachios as much as I do pecans. I have never made milk from nuts. Love the residual heat!

      Delete
  4. At christmas time I make BBQ peanuts as a holiday treat.
    They are coated with a hot sauce beyond measure.
    Otherwise I have never roasted my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Do you have that posted on your blog? Can you post it?

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.