Contact Me

Monday, October 30, 2017

I Am Cold! Moon Pie Tin

Image result for moon pie metal commemorative tin box


These tins are about $9 with 12 Moon Pies inside. Nice!  Have you seen these? The singles are tastier than the double-decker sandwiches. When I was a child, there were only the singles. I got Moon Pies from Memaw's store.


At 6 pm on Sunday, it was 60 degrees in the house! My friend will move the heater. However, J said she would move things around for me...since the beginning of September. I can barely lift a fork because somehow I hurt my hand in a different place and it is twice as painful now. No, typing does not make my hand hurt.

I wrote a long post and somehow lost it.

Saturday night, I took a sheet I bought in 1970, folded it several times and put it over the pot with the potato plant. Since I was afraid it might blow off, I found a piece of pipe to put over the sheet. There was no wind to blow it off.  It seems to have survived the cold. It should be down to freezing tonight, so it will be okay. It is the only plant I have that must be protected. 

Saturday, J, all smiley and looking on top of the world came bebopping over here and paid me
"the money she owed me." No, I used $15 worth of gas, not the $10 she gave me. grrrr

Sunday, I posted in my daybook all the things I have to do in November and December. Well, doctor appointments were there. Now, I have put quite a few Thanksgiving and Christmas events, too. Many of them are eating occasions, even if they are brown bag events with a lecture.

Your turn
Do you have fond memories of Moon Pies? Is it cold where you live? Are there any food plants you must cover during the cold nights?



13 comments:

  1. Never knew about Moon Pies until late 1968 when I moved to TN with husband - he was in the Navy, yes the Navy. Thought they were quite good.

    Why is it that old, well loved snack foods have to be updated? Double decker Moon Pies, Caramel M&Ms, etc? Are we that desperate for new and improved?

    Down here in sub-tropical FL the temp is supposed to be in the mid 50s warming to the low 70s. I know that's not terrible, but for us it is. If it stays that way for 3-4 days some plants will suffer - I don't have any of those. I stick to the tried and true survivors of this area. Sounds like you take very good care of your potato plant, it should do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bellen,
    The naval station at Millington? I am from Memphis. I am with you on the old snack foods being new and improved. I suppose it is all about money. They don't get my money because if prefer the old snacks. The weather you have is just about the perfect temps. Thanks. I am waiting for leaves to appear. I can see them but they have not unfolded yet. I never want plants all around the yard to baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby was at, according to the NY Time, the "super top-secret Clarksville Naval Base", part of Fort Campbell Kentucky.

      Delete
    2. Bellen,
      aha, I was not aware of that...super secret and in the news?

      Delete
  3. IN High School, most day my lunch was a Moon Pie and a Coke. My Mom gave me $5 a week to pay for lunch. I tried to spend a little as I could. That was in the mid 60's. Couldny buy one days lunch for $5 now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      $5 would buy a Coke and a Moon Pie for one day with not enough for a second day!Never mind thinking it might buy lunch.

      The iconic snack in the South was a "Moon Pie and an RC Cola" But, I don't drink RC, never did.

      Delete
  4. I am not sure that I ever had a Moon Pie. If I did it was not in my regular rotation. Cute tin though.
    I think I might have waited too long to bring in my sweet potato plants. They look frosted. But I would have killed them with neglect if I had brought them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you eating the sweet potatoes, or are these ornamental? Maybe they will be okay.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. carol,
      If it looks like it is going to lose some leaves, maybe you can cut it back so it can recover. I don't know anything about ornamental pumpkins. I do know when the top starts dying on crop sweet potatoes, then it is time to dig them up.

      Delete
  6. I have never had a moon pie.
    shall it go on the bucket list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ur-spo,
      Definitely! These are made in Chattanooga. Don't accept one made up north that appears to be the same.

      Delete
  7. If I did it was not in my regular rotation. Cute tin though.


    แคมฟรอก

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.