Contact Me

Monday, October 9, 2017

Cute Plant

Last Friday, I was in a rare mood when I was in Lowe's. There was a sea of gorgeous mums, several seas in various colors. I really wanted a pink one, but they had none, not even one. Well, not one in the seas of $1 mums.

There was a pretty pinkish/lavenderish color that appealed to me. As I lifted each one from the flats, I was appalled how skimpy each plant looked. The sea of color was actually mostly tops of mums since they had been grown in the flats for a while.

When I picked up one near the edge, it was the one for me. One whole side is a side and not just a top. It sits inside, still in the original pot, but plopped into an apple green ceramic pot. Since the pot has no drain holes, it will live there for a bit. The colors of the mums and pot are striking together. I took a picture and someday might post it.

Now, it sits with the barish side toward the window and the side where the flowers meets the pot facing me. It's a happy spot against lace curtains where green from the tree can be seen behind it

Knowing this will live over winter encouraged me to buy it small. The really large and full ones are just too expensive! Generally, I am not fond of mums. But, I was in the mood on Friday when I saw the price...lol.

Often, I buy things small and let them grow. When they reappear the next spring, I am thrilled. When the plant is an annual and reseeds, I am doubly thrilled.

When I picked up my little plant grown in a pint pot, I remarked to the sales woman that it would be good next year. She said,
"All that plant needs is a little love."
Yes!

Do you buy small flowers/shrubs and allow them to mature over the next year or even over the summer? Or, do you only buy display worthy plants? Have you bought mums this year?

8 comments:

  1. every fall I say I want to buy mums to display and I never have. one of these years, I'm gonna do it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      This is only my second mum. The first was a pink mum given to me by a guy trying to impress me. I will see how this one does overwintering. Maybe you can in your new home.

      Delete
  2. You will enjoy your little baby mum. It will grow.

    We buy our fruit trees small. They are more likely to adapt and live and will grow with proper care and they are available at a much better price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I read about an experiment where a person planted a tree about 8' tall or so, and a 2' tree. The smaller one was soon taller than the tall tree because the larger tree had to struggle to maintain itself and grow. The smaller tree adapted sooner, kept itself alive and had energy to grow instead of recover. When and if I ever buy trees, they will be small ones. Thanks for that testimony to buying small trees.

      Delete
  3. I have not bought mums yet. I am waiting for the temps to cool down a little before I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Do mums do better in cooler weather? Amazingly, this is still more summer-like weather.

      Delete
  4. No mums here - too hot!
    When I buy flowers I go for the yet to bloom ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Good idea. I try to get ones with at least one bloom so I know the color. You cannot trust those little plastic things they stick into the pot. Ask me how I know.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.