Contact Me

Thursday, October 12, 2017

MamaHen's Eggs

When MamaHen came to adopt Dominique, I was in the midst of watching water being pumped out of the basement. I knew she and my friend pumping were coming at the same time, so it was all planned and not a problem. Neither had to work where the other was working.

She brought me a dozen fresh eggs, gathered the day before. I took them and was very, very pleased. However, I did not comment on the eggs. At the moment, I was feeling shaky and just did not want to drop them. Plus, I was under so much stress. In hindsight, my actions or lack thereof, must have seemed rude and very ungrateful.

I did open them later to see the beauty of fresh eggs, laid the day before, she said. However, I was surprised with what I received.  I am not quite sure of the name of the type of hen that lays colored eggs, Ameracauna perhaps.

There were Easter egger eggs! Since the eggs were all laid the day before, she obviously has a dozen layers. AND, several of these from Eastereggers  were different colors than the ordinary white, brown, tan and various shade of brown. I received colored eggs!

Go on over to Sluggy's latest giveaway. Once again, there is chocolate! It's a girly giveaway. But, guys, you can get this for your favorite female or females. Think stocking stuffers.

Your turn
Does anyone have hens that lay colored eggs?

8 comments:

  1. My neighbor across the street give me eggs sometimes. They are tan shades and light green shades. So pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Our food might as well be pretty! Lucky you.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I certainly did not think you were rude or ungrateful. I knew you had a lot going on with them pumping out your basement and the mess of that. I was just hoping you enjoyed the eggs later. I have about 27 hens actually, but a number of them are pretty old. I just let them live a happy retirement after they quit laying. The eggs you got were from the Barred Rocks, Red Stars (dark brown), Wyandottes and the Ameracaunas (the blueish).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MamaHen,
      I am glad you realized my stress. I will check and identify the eggs by color and see who laid what. They are delicious.

      Delete
  3. Oh, and if there were white eggs, that was the Andalusians.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will write all this down, check the eggs and check pictures online to see what each of those hens looks like. Well, I do know barred rocks. Thanks for the hints.

      Delete
  4. I have a leg horn, Rhode Island reds, buff orpingtons,australorps, sexlinks, and an American game fowl rooster. My neighbor incubated some eggs, the two that hatched are australorps/game fowl mixes. Those two are also roosters. They are very sweet,passive and beautiful birds. My eggs are different colors of Browns, except the leg horn. Her eggs are white. I too, will let my hens enjoy their days here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      That is great to get chickens from a neighbor. I was going to let my hens live out their days here, too. However, the raccoons had different ideas. They thought I was serving dinner each night. Even hens that don't lay and can free range eat pests from the yard. Besides, my hens laid for six years before being killed. They are entertaining, too, very sweet pets. Until I get things fixed in the pen, I will not get more hens.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.