Contact Me

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Samples and Small Economies

Did you ever come home from an event with many samples? It is a great thing, but often I will not use what was stuffed in my bag by someone at a demonstration table. Sometimes the people with samples just put it in my bag without my knowing what I was given.

The Customer Appreciation Day was no exception. I was given Tide pods. They will go into a donation bag, maybe to J. I have to keep these samples in a quart bag in the laundry room. They just fall off the shelf after a while. I think I have about a dozen right now. I will only use these if I have something I do not wear but needs to go to the laundromat. They do serve a purpose. However, I cannot bear the smell of Tide on anything. And, it makes me itch.

One really useful item is a sample of a new Crest toothpaste--Crest 3D White, Whitening Therapy, fluoride anticavity, enamel care. All that was on the front of the box. If I did not drink cola drinks, tea, eat meat that is browned, or use dark spices, I would have shiny white teeth. Yes, wouldn't we all? I will use this toothpaste sample to try out the new variety of toothpaste. What kind of whitening toothpaste do you use, if any?

The biggest surprise at the table for breast cancer was a whole PG coupon insert that was also in the newspaper this past Sunday. There were four big-dollar coupons I have already used. So, now I have more. The rest of my coupon inserts I cannot use go to my friend who is in charge of a food bank. This was especially helpful to her when another friend gave me dozens of inserts each week.

Several people who ate sack lunches did not want their tiny bags of Fritos, Doritos, and other chips. I bought those home for exbf. He eats them during ball games, I think. At least, he will not have to buy snacks for a while.  I will eat the regular chips people did not want.

These same people did not want to throw out the little packets of mustard, catsup, and mayo in the sack lunch. Sooo, these are kept for giving away to someone, maybe J. She never wanted them when she was living in someone else's house, but now she might since she has no job and is losing her fully equipped kitchen and well-appointed home with a well-stocked pantry/refrigerator.

I received a clever little cardboard dial thing (ten-inch diameter) that shows how much electricity various appliances and electronics use and the yearly and weekly cost at various rates charged for services. This is fun to see how much my dryer and other appliances cost to use per year.

TVA had a booth where I filled out an energy survey. For this effort I will receive in the mail LED bulbs and lots of the foam things to insulate outlets and switch covers. Plus, they gave me a water bottle that was made in the USA. Most giveaway bottles are not made in USA. I really want to use this, but it has the sport top where you squirt the water into your mouth. This might come in handy when I am really hot and dribble the water all over me while squirting it toward my mouth. I can just drink from the bottle after removing the top.

Okay, so all of these were not samples, like the chips, but they come here to be given away in various places, exbf and J, people who will use them. The toothpaste and water bottle are what I want and like. The rest goes away. I did get the 10 oz bottle of Downy fabric softener last week that was a generous sample of something I do not use!

When people go to the Southern Women's Show in Birmingham, they carry a tote with them for the various samples that are not edible...lol. Of course, a few booths do give out tiny tote bags for samples. Also, people carry a tote when going to our Senior Christmas Party since we all get fruit and different stuff.  A tote bag is always handy!

I do know the argument against taking samples--it is wasteful to package these small amounts, an increase in carbon use by producing more packaging.

Some samples make good Christmas gifts/stocking stuffers.

Your turn
Do you receive good samples and ones you intend to give away? What are the best samples/giveaways you have gotten? Do you ever put them in with a Christmas gift?

6 comments:

  1. Unless I absolutely know I will use it I don't take samples. I also never go to the Southern Women's Show anymore but I used to until it became just one big advertising show. I do go to the Jr.League's Christmas show. They have some incredible gifts, but I don't bother with a tote there__I take a rolling cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I did not know what a woman was putting in my tote. When one woman was talking, the other filled up a bag with stuff. Besides, I know people who can use most things. I went to Southern Women's Show in early 90s. When I was in school, I no longer had time. Smart woman! I want one of the rolling carts with a bag attached. Mine is just a metal one. Things could fall out! I took the Downy because J thinks she really needs Downy.

      Delete
  2. I love samples and free things. I always take them. If I cant us them or my kids, I bring them to the church food pantry. Someone will use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      Between by children, exbf, and fb, there is always a place for everything. I even took a condom and tampons and gave them to a much younger woman. I took a gallon bag full of condiments to the food bank. I never understand why they give more than two of any condiment. Twice a year, I donate them.

      Delete
  3. Just catching up on posts. I love samples. We have a pet store client and they gave us a whole bunch of samples last week for our dog. There were some cat samples in there too so I gave it to my Mom as she has a rescue cat. If I can't use them I give them to someone who can, just like you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chick,
      I fussed at my friend who turned down vegetables I could use. I take stuff and give it to friends. Non-food stuff can go to food banks, too.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.