Contact Me

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Trouble Comes in Threes? Mushy Peas Review

Of course they do! First, Walmart announced the demise of ad matching/price matching. I have until September 11, to shop using price matching. Second, another store that keeps a freezer on the floor with mark-down meats no longer has the freezer. Now, a consultant recommended getting rid of it. They did. Also, the cooler with marked down dairy is gone too. Third? Well, I don't know what it is yet.

Tuesday, I did a good stock up shopping trip using price-matching, coupons, and shrewd sniffing out of bargains. More celery, grape tomatoes are ready to dehydrate. Other things on sale elsewhere that I got at Walmart: two Miracle Whip on sale and with a coupon; 4 24-packs of Coke products for $9.99; Delicious apples at $0.98/lb; Vidalia onions $0.78/lb.; 2 quarts strawberries $1.29/ qt.; Dasani $3.98. The Cokes and water will last me until 2018, maybe longer.

Exbf and I ate lunch at Dairy Queen, $3 each with coupon.  Lunch would have been better if I could have had a Coke instead of Pepsi. For dinner we had boneless, skinless chicken breast with carrots and potatoes in the crockpot. He was moaning over the carrots. We drank water because I did not make tea.

I served him mushy peas and he is not a fan. I had put them in s mall bowl to put on his plate. Since he asked me to take them away, I was glad I did not put them on the plate. He says mushy peas are nothing like our peas as far as taste. Yes, they are the same genus and species, but I suppose the spices are different. At any rate, Dominique will get the rest.

Four carrot ends are in water in the window to provide green tops for us to eat later in a salad or soup.  to eat. He sat and chopped the bits up that I cut off each end of the carrots. Dominique will not peck off a carrot, but if I chop the ends, she gobbles them right down. I have a spoiled chicken. She needs competition for food, then she would fight for a carrot.

Now, I am waiting for the third blow to my grocery shopping!

Are any of your favorite ways to spend less on groceries disappearing?

9 comments:

  1. I like mushy peas with a meat pie but I don't seem able to buy them any more and I haven't bothered to find out how to make them!
    I make my groceries cheaper by buying cheaper cuts of meat or produce that is flooding the market. I also check the discount fridge on the way past but it usually contains things I dont actually need so theres no point buying them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy things when they are cheap, but they are often cheaper elsewhere, hence the price-match. At least you have your discount fridge left. Mine is gone...sigh. Hope yours stays.

      Delete
  2. To cut down on the prices we are just buying less of the stuff we don't need. No sodas, less chips, etc. Also we don't go out to eat as much. We order take out and only buy one dinner and split it. When we do eat out, we go out to lunch and only eat half, and have the rest for dinner. Just cutting down on the amount of food we eat. I drink only water and black tea. Sometimes a small glass of juice or lemonade for a treat. Haven't lost any weight, but I am sleeping better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all really good ways to spend less. At least you are sleeping better. The weight will probably show a loss soon.

      Delete
  3. Once Walmart started the Savings Catcher I stopped trying to hassle with the price matching. It held up the already long lines and just gave me heartburn. Have you tried Savings Catcher? It's so easy and compares all the local ad prices and gives you back credit you can put on a WM gift card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      A person must have the money to purchase an item and then hope you get a break. No, I want to know what I can buy with what money I have. I cannot just purchase and hope I get money back. I have not had a phone to do so, anyway.

      Delete
    2. I guess I'm not understanding your reply. I used to bring my ads in and get them to price match. But the savings catcher program does that all for you. Just buy the items you were going to have them price match, scan your receipt code into the app and it will price match for you and give you the difference.

      Delete
  4. I bet that store will now be hiding the marked down meat with the regular meat, just you see. I hate it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheapchick,
      that's exactly what I thought. they hope we will look and see something full price to buy. No, it doesn't work that way. I was so shocked, I did not ask if they would still do markdowns. I know that some people call and ask for what they want from markdowns to be put back and saved for them!

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.