Contact Me

Monday, September 18, 2017

Taverners Wine Gums & Stuff

These are another of the UK sweets--"Great British Sweets". The gums are different colors, shapes, and flavors. The only one I can eat are the diamond-shaped red ones. The rest start out okay, then the most putrid taste occurs. They taste like they are fermented and not a good fermentation. The citrus ones are horrid from the first chew because I am allergic to citrus and especially citrus flavored foods.

I am not sure if this is an acquired taste. If I drank wine that tasted like most of these, I would assume the wine had gone bad. I have had to spit these out. All the good ones are eaten, and the bad tasting ones are in an empty disposable cup where I deposited them mid second chew.

When I first put one these in my mouth, I have the sensation I am chewing on an eraser. The texture is not a bad thing, just surprising as I thought they would be like gummy bears. I eat few gummy candies, so maybe some are as tough as these.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The guy who was coming Saturday evening to get the water out of the basement did not show up, and I have heard nothing today...sigh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday, I was so ill I could not get out to feed Dominique.  I could not risk another vine tripping me or not getting safely down and back up the stairs. This is not fair to her. So, I will find her a new home. This is not that the novelty wore off or I am not getting eggs. She needs to be fed regularly.  This is not the first time she has missed dinner lately.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have two afternoons to get the entries of dehydrated foods to the Fair--until 6 pm Wednesday. I hope I can walk steadily by then! Keep your fingers crossed!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer is returning. September here for the most part is hot as August. I have had a daytime high in 50s. That is just not right. We have had record breaking low temps for the highs. It is now 70F or above for our nighttime temperatures. We will have 90 at least one day this week. That is much better! Has your normal September weather returned? Or, is it cool early and fine with you?

Your turn
Has anyone from the UK or anywhere had these Taverners Wine Gums? Do you like them? Have some of mine gone off?


8 comments:

  1. I have had wine gums a long time ago. I didn't like the chewy texture too much but the flavours were ok if I remember right.

    Can you get an auto feeder to keep Dominique fed if you are unwell for a day or two? my sister has three hens and leaves them for up to a week at a time with an auto feeder and large water trough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rats would come to an auto feeder. Her water will last a week. The auto feeder would cost money. And, food would cost, too. I don' like her to have chicken feed, just fresh food which cannot be left for so long. I cannot set up anything by myself and exbf can do less than I now.

      Have you ever eaten gummy bears or gummy worms? They are harder than those. I didn't mind the texture, but the taste was horrific in some of them.

      Delete
    2. I have had gummy bears but I remember them as softer than a wine gum!
      Memory is unreliable though

      Delete
    3. kylie,
      That is how I remember gummy bears, softer than wine gum!

      Delete
  2. In spite of having a sweet tooth, don't care for most candies. I do crave a Swedish Fish every now and then, though. But, as far as sweet, I stick to pastries and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B,
      People have commented that I have a sweet tooth. NO, I like chocolate. I would have never chosen these to eat except for curiosity. People don't understand.

      Delete
    2. Well, I DO have a sweet tooth. I have always had one. My mother used to shame me for it when I was a child, but that stopped abruptly when I turned 11 or so. (She realized the damage it could cause.) In amy case, I always thought I would outgrow my sweet tooth, but that didn't happen! Isn't it funny how different people favor different foods?
      My favorite supermarket here has a British section. I have seen the wine gums in it.

      Delete
    3. Meg,
      For a snack I mostly prefer sweet while exbf prefers salty. So, he almost never wants my chocolate, and I rarely want his salty snacks. Every once in a while, I do want salty, and then it is over for me.

      IF I have a choice, I would rather have a chicken breast than chocolate anything. I have been that way all my life. Publix has an International section and the British within that.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.