Contact Me

Friday, September 29, 2017

Earthquakes, Stress, and Heart Attacks, Etc.

It seems dealing with earthquakes causes enough stress to cause a rise in the incidence of  heart attacks.  The article also reports the results of the stress of dealing with insurance companies after disasters. I wonder how many people are dying of heart attacks in Texas, Mexico, and Puerto Rico.

Earthquakes terrify me. I would just die of fright. Tornadoes are not so terrifying, at all.

I thought it was interesting that the insurance companies caused stress. I can relate to that.

Today was a hard day. I did not get enough sleep and exbf was here. He drove me to several places around town I needed to go. However, the weather was perfect--not too warm, no rain, and blue skies. Sitting in the vehicle on an asphalt parking lot it was so hot he sought the shade of a small tree. Don't you love to find a tree with the shade where you can park? He rolled down all the windows and enjoyed the rather stiff winds whipping the trees about.

I put chicken breasts in the crockpot on Tuesday, and then left it on warm for a day. I just did not get the vegetables added to the stock. This morning before he came, I added potatoes and carrots. I awoke tired, so I just put in enough for one meal. Later, I added more potatoes and carrots, plus onion, celery, and bell pepper for flavor. I had forgotten it earlier.

Usually, I find bags of carrots and buy those for the crockpot, no more baby carrots since they don't have much flavor. At WM, I found they had bags and loose carrots. The bags were $0.98/ lb. while the loose carrots were $0.67/lb.  I don't understand why loose carrots are cheaper. Do you know?  Buying just what a person wants is a good way to save money if you only have a limited budget for meals. Maybe I bought eight carrots, just because.

The crockpot is still on, so tomorrow I will buy lots of loose carrots, cook them in the delicious broth and freeze them in meal portions.

It is laborious washing all these dishes from the dishwasher, heating water, soaking them, and washing, rinsing and drying by hand. ugh

My total electric bill came to $725. I don't know why it was higher than I was told. The $300 I was told I could get from an agency to help with the bill, money from an emergency fund, was rescinded.  However, the total bill for the utilities was lowered from $725 to $351 that I must pay. The water company gave me a big break on the sewage since none of this went to sewers. I got a not so large break on water. Good deal! Plus, I found someone to install the water heater when and if I can afford one. Lowe's will sell me a water heater and install it for $239!

All this is stressful. However, we have had our 9th day without rain, and it looks hopeful it will remain relatively dry for the next 7 days.  Plus, the weather which had been near 90 will be closer to 80 this next week. YAY!

Sunshine makes me happy!


9 comments:

  1. Although still stressful those lowered bills certainly is a good thing. I hope you get it sorted out soon, hard to go on long term like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheapchick,
      Yes, it is great news, but still difficult.

      Delete
  2. I live in earthquake country--the west coast. I can deal with earthquakes, but the very idea of a tornadoes terrify me. I guess we are both very lucky to live where we do. Maybe that is the reason why we do live where we do!
    Sounds like you are working your way through all the problems in your home, but I can understand why dealing with insurance companies can cause heart attacks. They keep us wondering if we will be covered because of a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I suppose we both know how to deal with our circumstances. Of course, insurance companies are a universal problem!

      Delete
  3. I am like you, tornados do not bother me unless they are coming right at me. I have stood outdoors many times and watched them at a distance before they touch down. My son lives in earthquake territory and he swears they are not that big of a deal, unless they are like some rare tornados, then it is a really big deal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I would be on needles and pins worrying about an earthquake. At least we have warning of tornadoes, even if it is just a feeling in the sir.

      Delete
  4. Linda earthquakes or tornadoes do not worry me. But stress is unavoidable and will exacerbate all your medical problems. I do hope you can find your way to happier days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. carol,
      I do respect tornadoes, so don't get me wrong. However, they never really make me worry. I think losing weight will lift lots of my problems! Thanks.

      Delete
  5. good for you with the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.