Contact Me

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Hummingbird

MamaHen and I were talking after she caught Dominique. We were near the door to my hen pen. I saw MamaHen look sharply to one side and then up. I had no idea what she was seeing, but I followed her gaze.

There about 15 feet above the ground was a hummingbird. That was so exciting to me as I have never seen one in my yard. For several years I put up hummingbird feeders only to have huge, inch-long, black ants fill the feeder every time, no matter how many precautions I used.

Several years ago, I bought a moat to keep ants out and promptly could not find it. Now, I have it in a box with garden things.

Several weeks ago, I commented to exbf that I really wanted hummingbirds in my yard. He said he has seen lots of hummingbirds in my yard. Whaaat??? Why did he never tell me? He does not know.

Now that I know they are in the yard, I need to entice them to come where I can see them a little better. I was so interested at the Audubon Society meeting about hummingbirds. Now, I don't have the material or remember anything. But, everything is on the internet, maybe. ???

One year, I spent a lot of time staring up into the pine trees looking for the little hummingbird nests. I think I might take that up again.

Does anyone have any hints for more sightings? Do you have hummingbirds in your yard?

14 comments:

  1. Hummingbirds are attracted to red flowers and I've seen them in my garden too. When I had a hummingbird feeder up we would have hummingbird "wars." They are very possessive of the feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only red flowers I have is one tiger lily, a volunteer, under the picture window on the opposite side of the house. It appeared to be feeding off something in the tree. I did not follow it, but now I believe that was a nest. Now, I need to go out and see what it was. That would be very entertaining to watch hummingbird wars...lol. You are getting me excited.

    I have a red feeder and make my own syrup from sugar and water, but no red food coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really should not color the nectar. Hummingbird feeders come with the red plastic flowers and as soon as they find it, it is all over. They come back with a vengeance and "guard" it from other hummingbirds. Sadly in our neck of the woods it is about time to quit using them so the birds can make their way to Mexico for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I have a couple of those feeders and do not color the solution I make for them. So, it would be bad to feed them now? Maybe for a few days so they would remember my place? I am so excited. How do you keep the ants out?

      Delete
    2. Seems like we can feed through late October - early November. I don;t have any this year because I bought a bunch of magenta hibiscus trees and they feed on them. In past years as long as I washed them every few days and moved them around I had little trouble with insects. If I kept them hanging in the same spot too long the wasps would find them

      Delete
    3. Ants,
      Huge black ants find them within about 12 hours and fill the inside, drowning themselves. That was under pine trees. Then, I tried the other side of the yard and not under a tree. I finally gave up. Maybe I can get a feeder up soon and then remove it. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I have two hummingbird feeders. One is attached to my office window and they come there to feed all the time, but usually just one at a time. I also just make the 4:1 water sugar ratio, no food coloring. I do boil the water first, add the sugar and then let it cool before putting in the feeders. They are my favorite birds and such a variety of colors and even vary in their body shape. Some are squatty and fat, some are longer and thinner. And different colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the kind of feeder with a suction cup? Ants don't find it? I have only seen them other places until Saturday! So, I have seen one high overhead.

      Delete
    2. Yes it has suction cups and a little "moat" around it that you can use for ants, I guess. I haven't had any problem with ants, at either places I've used it. It also has a little bar around the lid so the birds can sit on. I had a 3rd feeder that didn't have a place to sit and they hardly used that one (then it started leaking so I threw it away)

      Delete
    3. I wonder why I have so much trouble with ants even when I try to discourage them. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. EC,
      How I would love to see beautiful birds that are at the head of your blog, but in the wild like you do. I have had pangs of envy over those for a long time. But, maybe we will both get to see the birds we want to see some day.

      Delete
  6. I have a trumpet flower vine on my screened porch and always have hummingbirds! I've never had a feeder, though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. obscure,
      That sounds ideal. Maybe that is the way I should go next year. Thanks.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.