Contact Me

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

I voted; I lunched; I shopped.

We had a runoff in AL. I did not vote in the primary, therefore I could vote in the other party's runoff. This was a case of voting against the worst candidate by voting for the lesser of two evils. I was the only person there besides the four poll workers. As I sat down to vote, another person came in. Voting was just a matter of bubbling in one bubble and shoving it into the machine. I am done until November. After collecting my "I Voted" sticker, I left. The whole business from the time I left the car until I returned was less than ten minutes. And, I even talked with the poll workers.

This was a Tuesday free lunch--chicken patty, mashed potatoes, carrots and peas, slice of bread, tea, and choice of cake slices. I did not even take the peas and carrots. And, I left most of the cake. Of course, people brought me leftovers that I turned down. Everyone thought my chicken died.

Then, exhausted from no sleep, I went shopping for water heaters.  After I wrote down the options, I talked to a TVA guy who gave me his opinion and choice of water heaters and specs for them. So, now I know what I will get....when I can afford it. I don't feel like typing my choices right now when I feel more like napping. Tomorrow....

Yes, I hate using "lunch" as a verb when it is not. At least I did not "do lunch." The chance for parallelism was too strong for me to overcome.  The title is almost the literary equivalent of "Veni, vidi, vici"/"I came, I saw, I conquered." Oh, not equivalent to that? You don't say?  Whatever.

Today, the weather was perfect with blue skies and good company at lunch.

8 comments:

  1. You got a few things done so your nap is well deserved. I usually "have lunch" rather than "do lunch"
    I'm old fashioned like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never, ever said "do/did lunch." I always wonder about how that became so "fashionable."

      Delete
  2. Haha. I dislike the use of the word "invite" as a noun, as "I sent her an invite." The word you need already exists. It's "invitation." Those extra syllables are not that onerous. And don't get me started on using "gift" as a verb.
    When I was in high school, almost all students planning to go to college took Latin. I even studied it further in college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I took Latin, too. Oh, that is another good word misused. I never fell into those linguistic traps. My Latin book has been on my shelf for fifty years. Often, I get it out and study it.

      Delete
    2. I had Latin also!! Then I took French and Spanish in college. I should have stuck with the Spanish or studied sign language- more useful to me.

      Delete
    3. Nan,
      I studied Latin and Spanish in hs and Spanish , Greek, and Japanese in college. I want to take sign language as language requirement for PhD. I can see how sign language and Spanish would be helpful to you. I try to learn new Spanish words all the time by reading signs written in English and Spanish. I learned a new word today, but forgot what it was. I need to think about this!

      Delete
  3. I voted also and my vote was not for anyone but was a vote against a nut job.

    I have a couple of pet peeve words. One that Gus Malzahn uses every week on his post game show is trickeration. Every single time I hear him use it I yell at the TV that trickeration is not a word, but trickery is a perfectly fine one. The other is using gift as a verb. I never gifted anyone anything. I freely gave them a gift though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      We voted for the same person!

      So, you yell at the tv about words, too. "Gift" as a verb just turns my stomach. These people think they are so clever, with it. They are anything but!

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.