Contact Me

Saturday, September 16, 2017

After Thirty Years

When I put color on my hair, I have one problem area left that never takes color. Yes, I know this is a First World problem. After I get the color on and very close to hairline, there are always those few fine and short hairs around the hairline that are white as snow. Even when I take a finger and mush the little hairs into the color, they remain white.

I really hate to have my hair colored evenly and have it blow back to reveal a white sort of crown. I have even given up on some style because of the lack of color. I don't even like looking at it in the privacy of my own home!

Even when I ask my hairdresser, the answer is short and vague. I watch hairdressers putting on professional color and can never determine what I am doing wrong around my hairline.

Finally, I asked J how to color the little hairs. She took cosmetology in hs, so I thought she might know. She told me to use a brush to color those hairs.

Since I don't have one of those little paint brushes hairdressers use, I headed for a toothbrush. I am using one toothbrush and the rest that are old probably have been used to clean. So, a new toothbrush it was. The bristles are so black, I will never mistake it for anything else.

All the little hairs are colored now. I feel so much better about the color job! Before, the look was as though I had not colored in weeks when it was new color. This is much better. I will report how it holds up.

* I wrote this before I became so ill. Hopefully, the guy who is going to work on the excess water removal will come soon. In the meantime, I am still very ill.

Your turn
Did you know to use a brush for color, especially on those fine hairs around your face? If so, how did you figure it out?

8 comments:

  1. Makes sense, but I probably would have never thought of it! :-) I'm on the edge between coloring & not. Right now, I can make a color last six months, but still go to a professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I have discovered women do go six weeks between professional coloring. But, my hair is snow white and it would show a lot after six weeks. I am way beyond that edge of choosing which to do.

      I knew professionals used the brush, but the hair color has a bottle with a nozzle to apply. Nowhere in the instructions is a brush mentioned.

      Delete
  2. I have aa area (one strip about 1/2 inch wide) that will not take dye, whether I do it or have it professionally done.It never has no matter what color dye or what process is used. I solve it by using brow mascara. Works like a charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is strange--a strip of dye resistant hair. I was beginning to think the tiny soft hairs at my hairline were dye resistant. My daughter said she used mascara to cover her very few gray hairs in front before she started coloring it all over. I have never used brow mascara, but am thinking about it for my brows. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  3. I have never had my hair dyed. I am considering such more to see what would happen. I guess I better have a pro do this lest I make a frightful bungle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      From what I can see, your hair looks quite distinguished as it is.

      Delete
  4. I'm fortunate in that my hair has yet to show any gray. I have hair like my mother's. She passed away in her 80s and had very little gray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dime,
      That is wonderful! I wish I could have been so lucky. Daddy's was prematurely gray and eventually white like mine. Mama was a blonde who had blond hair until she had cancer. Then, it turned white.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.