Contact Me

Friday, October 12, 2018

The Cat Two Doors Down Redeems Herself

This cat is a beautiful HUGE gray cat. Other than her size she is rather nondescript. When she first moved here, she would try her best to get into any car or house. I have had to shoo her away so many times she quit trying when she saw my door opened.

However, she has knocked a plant over so many times and spilled the dirt from the pot that the plant gave up. Before that, she knocked off huge pots of Hosta, one on each side of the path.  However, I think the rodents got those since all the Hosta in the ground was killed from the root up.

Last week, Tommy said that as he waited for me in his car  that this cat rubbed her head on all four corners of my trap set to catch raccoons. I suppose the raccoons smell cat since I have not caught a raccoon.

One morning this week, Tommy informed me that he saw her sitting and watching the shrubs. Then, she pounced and caught a ground squirrel, ground chipmunk, or whatever. She played with the capture for a bit, then set about eating it. He told the guy who lived next door who said he finds the carcasses all over his porch.

Hopefully, the cat can eat enough of these pests to make my Hosta safe. I have one on a table that these pests have not gotten to.

So, now I love the cat two doors down. Before, I just tried to avoid it. Of course, I still don't want it in my house or car. Now, I never shoo her away when she is sitting like a Sphinx facing the shrubs.  Would you?

Maybe she will kill rats, too. I don't like spending money on rat bait or traps!

Do you have animals around that eat pests or chase them away?

6 comments:

  1. We have a dog. The chipmunks laugh at her when she chases them. Since she has not caught one yet, the fear factor is minimal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Too bad. Maybe it is the pounce that the chipmunks cannot get away from.

      Delete
  2. I have a kitten that chases my Mastiff away from his food dish.
    I don't let my cats outside here, as we have coyotes--I think one actually gave birth in my barn one year. Rodents are a terrible problem here. It doesn't matter how clean you keep a place, if you are near a water source, and have an opening in an outbuilding, the rats will find you. We hear them in the wall of our pump house when we have reason to go in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg B,
    Coyotes giving birth in my barn would keep me out of there! I have heard coyotes across the street and others have seen them, and I live in the city. There used to be lots of cats around, but either they are gone or people keep them indoors. I don't know where they go at night. You do have a good kitten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they are called coyotes and javelinas and you can have them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      Can I give them back when all the rats and chipmunks are gone? They could take the dogs off leash that poop in my yard!

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.