Contact Me

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Good News and Michael Traffic

Monday, I went to Gynecological Oncologist and was told my six-month visits could be moved to once a year because I am still cancer free two years later. YAY!

Today, I went to breast doctor and received good news--I do not have breast cancer. Double YAY! I was stunned when she told me that my problems were from my diet. 

Both days, Tommy came up from Hueytown and took me to the doctors. Then, he brought me home and went back to Hueytown. That is 220 miles each day. 

As we headed back, the interstate was congested in the northbound lanes. People are evacuating. It seems half the people on the road had tags from Tennessee, Ohio, Kentucky, and Michigan. There were quite a few people from counties in South Alabama.  It took us an hour and a half to go 25 miles. I am about 4 hours from the coast. 

While heading northbound we watched as at least 30 utility trucks headed south. They will be at the ready and close by when they are needed after Michael hits. 

I told Tommy I would fix him a meal for Monday and he could take it home. Well, I was just too tired on Sunday. I gave him a package of hotdogs and wished him luck...lol. He said he had vegetables that I had frozen for him.

When I got here on Monday, I rested a bit and put a chunk of frozen ground round into the crockpot along with half a cup of water, dehydrated celery, garlic, salt and pepper. When the chunk of ground round was done, I put a can of Dawn Fresh Mushroom Steak Sauce over the meat. Around this I put carrots. When the carrots were done. I went to bed and left the crockpot on low. 

Tuesday morning, today, I put potatoes in the crockpot.  When he got here, I dished up beef, carrots, and potatoes for his lunch while he waited for me in the car. According to him, the meat was especially delicious. When we got to my house, I gave him enough for another three meals. Once again, I forgot to put in onion!

The crockpot will soon have carrots and potatoes for me, all cooked in the beefy juice and Dawn Fresh. 


27 comments:

  1. *sigh* Our second home is right in Michael's path. Not much I can do from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      Oooh, too bad. In what city is it located, not to be too nosy.

      Delete
    2. Meg B,
      That is in the midst of it all. wow

      Delete
    3. We have a condo in Panama City. Like you there is nothing to do but wait.

      Delete
    4. Just think, in better weather, we probably crossed each other's paths! My friend has a condo in Splash in Panama City. We opted for a house. It's not right on the water. Theneighbors evacuated to Alabama, so not a thing I can do. I can't even get updates!

      Delete
    5. Meg B,
      I was thinking you probably were in some of the same places at the same time. maybe your neighbors can return and let you know the state of things. When we had a tornado that tore up our town, so many trees, houses, and churches were gone that I was confused when driving. You don't realize how you drive without actually seeing until the landmarks are gone. It was a strange feeling, like I had never even driven here.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the health news! That is fabulous! We are all bunkered down for the hurricane here. The gas stations have been running out of gas. Hoping for best in North Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle82,
    Thanks. I hope you can stay safe and sound. That reminds me that I need gas. I live so far away, but I am sure the extra people in town will impact our supplies. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great news from your doctors! I'm sure you are relieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I certainly am relieved. Of course, I still need a yearly pap smear. And I have things I must do to get the breast pain to subside.

      Delete
    2. Anne,
      Have you heard anything, yet?

      Delete
    3. I imagine it will take a couple of days to know what happened. Nothing I can do but wait.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic news! I am sure the traffic was miserable since lots of evacuations are going on. I hope everyone in it's path is safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Yes, it is! He had no problem getting back South. I just heard one man died. Hopefully, no more people will die.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic news! Curious about the diet aspect? Without prying...

    Know you are relieved.

    I have some friends who have house in Santa Rosa beach and others spread out in Florida. My heart goes out to all affected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      It feels good to be free of cancer, but since my father's 10 siblings died from cancer or a "tumor," I am still uneasy.

      No diet. I just left off a cookie or three, left off a bit of ice cream, a piece of bread. I ate anything that was fruit or vegetable, no matter how fattening the vegetable might have been. I have never lost weight on a diet, just lose weight by being reasonable. It is more of a change of mind and life actions.

      Delete
  7. My Gosh! You are the Crock Pot Queen! I would never know how to do all the things you do with your crock pot. You add things to the pot and let it low cook overnight. I don't think I have the nerve to do that. How did you learn to do all this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I read how full to fill the crockpot, cooked a chicken and took it out. Gradually, I just started adding stuff--no recipe. I think I let stuff cook in it for five or six days one time. Someone gave me apples, so I put them in with water, cinnamon, and a little bit of sugar.

      I dipped the apples out but the apple juice would not go into the bowl. So, I put a chicken in there and cooked it in apple juice. I think I put chicken breasts in next. I just kept adding vegetables after that. It was fun and great not to have to wash the crock every day.


      I froze the chicken breasts and shared whole chicken with Tommy. Vegetables were shared with him, too. I loved cooking for almost a whole week. I have forgotten all the details and exactly what vegetables I cooked.

      I was most impressed with the cooking of chicken in fresh apple juice. Over the years, I just experimented.

      Delete
    2. The chicken in the apple juice sounds just delicious! Think I will give that one a try. It's a start!
      I forgot to tell you how happy I am that your doctor's appointment turned out so well. Sometimes we are blessed, aren't we?

      Delete
    3. tana50,
      Remember. I cooked a crockpot full of apples to get that juice. Thanks. I feel so lucky.

      Delete
  8. I am late to join the conga line of congratulations but brava from me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Urspo,
    I do realize this could all change, but I am happy for the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just want to add my congratulations on the health news!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.