Contact Me

Monday, October 22, 2018

My New Comforter


Mainstays Circle Ruched Solid Microfiber Comforter




I had no intention to buy anything. However, when I saw this comforter reduced to $8, I was sold; at home, I was not thrilled with the construction. However, there is a lot of fabric in this item for only $8.

As I pulled it from the zippered bag, I could feel clumps of batting and could see right through the front and back! The ruched areas are not connected to the back. However, the only thing that holds the front and back together is stitching in a two-inch diameter circle which are between the ruching. 

My plan: purchase batting for the inside of the comforter. Remove all the little sewn circles. Take out stitching from about a foot, maybe more, of one of the four sides, borrow a cutting table in a shop to put batting inside. Use a safety pin to hold the circle where stitching was front and back. Straight pins will not stay in place as this is moved about. 

When it all is smooth and reattached with batting in between, I can hand-stitch the circles of stitching. I may have to remove stitching on all four sides to attach the batting to the back of the comforter. 

I could not believe the batting shifted even before it was washed! This will only be difficult because of the size. The technique/process is easily done. 

Why won't the picture not center when I clicked on "center?"

This comforter is such a pretty color. I bought a comforter last year, took it out of the packaging, and put it right inside a garbage bag and returned it. It was pretty but not so pretty. The batting was loose just like this one. When I returned it, one of the employers claimed it as hers and put it away to purchase.

Until it is really cold, I can use it. It's soooo pretty. When I get through, I will have less than $30 in the comforter. 

Have you ever undertaken this sort of project to make something you bought usable?







14 comments:

  1. No that is too much work. Target has a similar comfortable. My daughter had it in her guest room. They have A LOT of guests and she washes & dries it at least 3 times a month. It holds up great! She is on her second one in 7 years. I don’t think the target one comes in pink. My daughter’s is white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are fewer little circles than there are ruched areas. Except for finding a place to lay it out, it really won't be much work. I doubt this would be washed so often. Thanks. I will look at Target.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Janet. What you are proposing is too much work. Unless I had my heart set on that comforter, I wouldn't bother. I know it's work, because I make quilts. I am picky about bedding--I only use down comforters, and white, 100% cotton sheets. I impose this rule on my kids too, so washing bedding is easier. For variation, I make them quilts of their choosing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. I am a stitcher and you really have your work cut out for you! I would not take it apart unless I really had to do that. I would first lay it out and see if I could get the batting where it was supposed to be by unstitching the small circles. Then if that worked, I would safety pin it all down and stitch it down. Then add a fleece blanket to the back and stitch that down. Your plan is so much work! Even my plan is a lot of work, but taking it apart with be a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      No, the batting will not go back together because there is really not a lot in there. I have fleece blankets that make me hot and sweaty because of the fabric. I don't think it would be a disaster at all.

      Delete
  4. The last line should read "taking it apart will be a disaster." Also, do you think this was bought and washed and returned to the store before you bought it? To have a comforter in that state had to have been washed once already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      No, the one last year had batting in the same shape.

      Delete
  5. I bought a store made quilt of solid color and cross stitched/embroidered snowflakes on it...well, that was about 4 yearsago ago and I am still not finished! I am giving myself the rest of 2018! I will finish it! Prob just in time for spring, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      Thanks! You have lowered the bar for me timewise. I imagine that will be very pretty.

      Delete
  6. It looks cozy for cold winter nights - I like it !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urspo,
    It will be cozy when I get some warm batting inside it. Thanks. I like it too.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.