Contact Me

Monday, October 8, 2018

A Chicken Breakthrough, Freebie, Farmer's Market

The first day when I brought the chickens home, they were so terrified of me and the whole situation. Then, having obviously witnessed the slaughter by a raccoon of their companion, they shrieked and ran for three or four days, maybe more.

I talk to them as I approach their pen. When I dump their food, I say, "Delilah" in a very high voice. They still ran to the farthest place, just not so panicky. Finally, on Friday, Cher came to the door to greet me. When I came in, she moved away a bit. Bette still moved far away, but not in a panic.

When I dumped their food, Cher stood back about one chicken step. It makes me happy to see them relaxed around me. They no longer display terror when I approach. Of course, I am The Bringer of Food, so would like me.

Sunday, they were very relaxed and did not wait for me to move away from their food. Monday. Cher came right to my feed, looked up and jumped and snatched food from my hand!

Friday night at the Freosk, I got a good freebie. A little package of Belvita chocolate cookies were dispensed. They were delicious. Plus, the little chocolate snack in the store kept me from wanting a snack to eat in the store or to bring home.

I cannot go to the Farmer's Market. Octoberfest activities are occurring, so the street it blocked off. I cannot walk two or more blocks to shop. Bummer.

The temperature reached the 90s Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with blue skies and little breeze. However, this has been a wasted Saturday for me. My head is still stuffy with aching eardrums. I feel crummy but it seems not to be worse.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it just lovely to know you have made progress with an animal? I'm not familiar with chickens but i love thinking of the turn around in our dog since he came to our house.

    Temps in the nineties are just not nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Yes, I try to get into their little heads, trying to know what they need from me. I love it hot.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.