Contact Me

Friday, October 26, 2018

Invasive Plants and Potatoes

At a church lunch, a couple in their late 80s related their adventures in yard work. They were clearing out wisteria and a plant that was also invasive. They did not know what the plant was, but it had many sharp thorns. They complained how bad the thorns hurt! Their daughter had dug it up for them to take home several years ago.

My ears perked up. "Is it a vine with glossy leaves" "Yes" Are the leaves dark green?" "Yes." "Are the leaves longish and sort of heart-shaped?" "Yes."

I informed them their daughter had dug up thorns and they introduced them to their yard! They were a little shocked.

Rule of thumb--when anyone offers you a plant and guarantees it will be hardy and not die on you, beware because you are being given an invasive plant that will be almost impossible to eradicate.

When thorns invaded my yard, they could not be eradicated by cutting or pulling. Just before I quit battling the thorns, I dug and pulled them from underground. Eventually, I pulled a very tough root exposing a giant root about 10 inches long and 3 inches in diameter, shaped sort of like a sweet potato. The huge root was ten or more inches below the surface. The vine I was pulling on was half an inch in diameter and strong as a any rope. I was much stronger then!

Thursday, I meant to plant potatoes in pots in order to take advantage of the afternoon rains predicted. But, I was too cold and tired. In order to avoid watering with a hose, the rain would have been perfect. I am not worried about the amount of water I use raising my bills, since I use about half the minimum anyway. I just think rainwater is better for plants than water treated with chlorine and whatever else is in the hose water.

Have you ever transplanted an invasive plant or have grown them from seed? Has anyone ever given you a plant for your garden and assured you it will thrive without much help?

4 comments:

  1. I planted violets once, not realizing they would take over the yard. They are pretty when in bloom, but are a nuisance the rest of the time. We have here, what is called "creeping charlie'. It just creeps unbidden from one yard to the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      LOL, you understand. Thanks. Never plant wisteria! I will remember the two plants you named.

      Delete
  2. My violets have taken over my yard and lawn. I no longer have to mow...they have made a thick mat. I love wisteria and where I live, it cannot grow. When I lived in California, there was an old shack that was totally covered in it and in the springtime it was stunningly beautiful. What you have to watch out for is anything in the mint family. Will not be contained unless in a pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz,
      A neighbor had violets all over her side yard. When she died, the next neighbor managed to eradicate them. I miss the flowers.

      Wisteria will destroy trees and anything else it can cover and pry apart, much like kudzu. Wisteria is so pretty that I allowed it to cover a tree. It was tearing down my chain link fence! I am still trying to get rid of it. I remember hearing that about mint. I don't have any, thankfully.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.