Contact Me

Saturday, November 18, 2023

Quiet Days, Nothing Happening and Cooking Lessons

 The skies were cloudless and the darkest blue I have seen in ages. It was beautiful, peaceful, and warm. A person could ask for nothing better. My aches are subsiding as is the uti. 

This week, I bought beautiful Halos. When I ate one, I discovered it was dry and bitter. I am sorely disappointed. Tommy was shocked when I said I was going to take them back. He ate a Halo and gave me a section, sweet! I suppose I will not eat a whole one that is dry and bitter, just toss it. 

I suppose I won't miss not eating Halos since my allergies started up and I can barely breathe. It is so annoying having allergies. 

Thanksgiving is almost done. I still need to make gravy and pumpkin pie. Of course, I need Tommy to stand and brown the gravy. Oh, I want to make Jello with fruit in it. It may be shocking to you, but when I make the pumpkin pie, I will eat it for every meal until it is gone. Maybe I will make cornbread for dressing. Maybe not. There is always Stove Top Stuffing. 

Some of the flowers I had think it is spring again. The strawberry lemonade are blooming. There are buds everywhere. 

I have a list. Fresh pecans are at the top of the list. The last ones I had were frozen, thawed and put on the shelf. They were not good, not bad, just not good. Not fresh. Everything else on the list is stuff to do, like getting the last of the pistachios open. 

Today, we went out for water and bananas. It was a joy riding in our old, raggedy car. It fit my back and always has. My knees have room. It is a joy. 

Tommy just now put a bag of cranberries in the colander. I will talk him through getting them cooked on top of the stove. He is pushing back on browning the oil and flour. He hates gravy. I should have told him it was white sauce since he makes that readily, no pushback. But, since he knows I love giblet gravy, he will do it. Oh, forgot, I need to boil eggs to chop into the gravy. 

I put cranberries and water on the stove and instructed Tommy to put a scant half-cup of sugar in them. Then, I had to explain 'scant' to him. It is funny and amazing the things he does not know since he has never cooked. I already have one bag, one pound, cooked and frozen. And, I have a can of jellied. I like both available. I have a third pound in the freezer to dehydrate. 

Maybe I can sneak in gravy making since we have done so little today. He has watched football while I slept. Auburn lost, what's new. But, he enjoys watching his alma mater play. Maybe it mellowed him for gravy-making. I only want him to stand and brown the roux for gravy. I can stand long enough another day to finish it.

Do you prefer your pecans fresh or all dried out like the little packages in the store?

Do you ever have to give instructions to SO when cooking? 

Once again, do you chop boiled eggs into your turkey gravy? YUM!


12 comments:

  1. Linda, I'm glad you're healing up and feeling better.

    After my foot surgery, once we ran out of the food I'd precooked and put in the freezer, I did have to instruct Hubs on how to prepare things for us to eat. In almost 39 years of marriage, he'd made spaghetti, eggs, beanies wienies and chili dogs. Period. Grateful he didn't complain! We were both glad when I could stand in the kitchen again. I've never heard of eggs in giblet gravy, but imagine the added protein would be good. As for pecans, when we lived in TX I could get fresh every year, but that's the only place we've lived where that was possible. I now buy them from Amazon (their brand) and they seem tender and good. Take it as easy as you can this week. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elise,
      Thank you. Now, my kidney hurts where I landed, so I suppose I need to check that.
      At least he could cook something. Tommy could cook nothing but a hamburger at 65 yo.
      There are lots of places to buy pecans where I lived in Cullman. But, around here are not many farmer's markets that I know about. I might look into Amazon. Right now, Tommy is scraping carrots for me to cut for the pork loin and carrots ready for the oven. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Depends on what I am using the pecans for. If baking pie or cookies - any will do. If eating alone - fresh.
    Never ever had eggs in gravy!!!! Never heard of it, except from you. Glad you have the car back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Pecans are the best nut.
      I suppose not many Southerners post about giblet gravy.

      Delete
  3. This is the first I have heard of boiled eggs in gravy. Hmm. It sounds interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not lucky enough to have ever experienced a fresh-from-the-tree pecan. So I don't know if the ones I buy are any good. They are all I have, so they must do.

    Sorry, but pecans are not the best nut. Walnuts rule!! LOL!

    My mother made giblet gravy, but never with eggs. I make gravy with bone broth (not giblets); never with eggs. It's not 'A Thing' in the Midwest.

    Regardless, there is no gravy on our Thanksgiving menu this year. The men want steaks on the grill and I want grilled chicken. Baked potatoes, steamed broccoli, carrots, and green beans. Gonna make jalapeno cornbread muffins in my newly-refurbished John Wright acorn pan (I am SO excited to try it out!!). Berry pie and sugar-free jello for dessert, with a choice of ice cream or whipped cream.

    It's not a traditional meal, but we would be grateful no matter what we ate. Except for oatmeal. I will never, ever be grateful for oatmeal.

    I will roast a turkey when DD comes home for Xmas. She's asked for turkey and I will be happy to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will eat a walnut in something, but I always sub pecans for walnuts if I am making anything that calls for walnuts. You can have the walnuts because that will make more pecans for me.
    No, it is not traditional, but that is what you want. At least your daughter will get turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boiled eggs in gravy is new to me!

    Early Happy Thanksgiving Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never have to give cooking lessons to THeHub because he can only make grits and grilled cheese sandwiches. Even though he is not a cook he is an excellent food procurer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is exactly why I have to teach him things. The lessons are not lessons, just tips about how I am going to cook. He soaks it up. Yes, Tommy is an excellent food procurer, too--what we need, what I want, and what he wants.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.