Contact Me

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

BOGO Groceries and Amazon Order and Treadle Sewing Machine


                                                                        not mine

On Tuesday night, I went over the ads online for the three stores in which I shop. One store had two things I needed, one store had one thing, and another had a dozen bargains. 

I slept little, got up and went back to bed. Since I needed to get up by 1 pm and Tommy woke me at 1:20, I was rushed and hurting. I rushed and had a tuna sandwich for lunch. My friend was coming by to help with the grill. It seemed there was nothing wrong. I just did not know it was on. 

While it was on, I decided at to grill the two hamburgers I had left to grill. Then, it smelled so good, I wanted to eat right then. We both had a burger on bread. Since I pulled off all my crust to eat less bread, I knew I was not going to need a lot of dinner. We both had a huge salad for dinner. 

After the burger we went to three grocery stores. Food Giant had chicken tenders for $1.99/lb. I think the two packages had six pounds. Tomorrow, we go back for rolls of sausage 2/$5--Jimmy Dean. We can have sausage balls for a festive treat. 

The Pig had salad greens cheap, so Tommy bought two bags. We will probably eat these two bags and get two more before the sale goes off Tuesday night. 

Publix: Del Monte Fruit Cocktail bogo, Eagle Brand Milk  2/$4. Pint ziplocs were bogo. Planters jars of peanuts bogo. The Cheerios Tommy likes were bogo. I will get two square snaplock storage containers to use as a sandwich box or food containers to take with me in the car. The glass ones are too heavy and too dangerous. Plus, they often have food in them when I need them. Plugra butter is on sale. 

Plugra butter is on sale. I have never heard of that brand. Have you? Stuffing is 2/$5--not impressed. There were lots of items on sale, stuff I have bought much more cheaply earlier. 

When I received an Amazon order today, I was puzzled. I had ordered Halloween candles, but not two packages. Plus, I had ordered another set of three candles that run with batteries and have a remote. Why did I get two. They can send me more than I order, but just don't charge me! lol The price for the whole order is almost twice what was showing when I placed the order. Now, I have to straighten this out. 

Besides the candles, I bought a leather thimble. It is too stiff, so I will take it to a cobbler friend's shop to fix it. Also, I found a book about working on treadle machines. This will be my bible for a bit as I work on my treadle machine my mother gave me. She no longer had her grandmother's treadle, the one on which I learned to sew. However, she bought each of us three girls a treadle at yard sales on year and gave them to us at Christmas. It was a wonderful gift for each of us. 

Now, I won't have to depend on someone I don't trust entirely to work on my Singer Treadle if the work is beyond my skills. Some unscrupulous repairers take parts from customers' machines to repair their own machines or to repair machines of people who will pay exorbitant prices in order to have their machines repaired.  Mostly, the repaired machines to sell. Now, I know exactly where to oil and what kind of oil. Plus, there are special tools I need. 

I have a treadle machine sitting in the carport with a modern electric machine in it. The plan is to sell the machine head, sell all the wooden drawers, and make a table out of the iron base. This is apart from the Singer treadle machine Mama gave me. I would never take it apart. 

Mama made very nice dresses for us when I was little on a treadle machine! A treadle machine holds a special place in my heart, heritage, and thoughts.

Have you ever sewn on a treadle sewing machine? Did you learn to sew on one? Do you own a treadle sewing machine?

Did you find good deals on groceries this week?

5 comments:

  1. I love that treadle sewing machine. And you're right, even if the machine doesn't work they do make lovely decorative pieces. Oh and welcome back. I only just realized you were back on your old blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treaders,
    I used my treadle machine in the front hall of our 100+ year old house. Then, I used it in the den to put my TV on to save room.
    Well, I am glad you found me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not remember my mother ever sewing anything, but both my sisters had home economics in high school. My oldest sister made a couple of dresses for me when I was a kid (she was almost 19 years older) and I hated them. This was in the last '70's. I did not take the home economics classes in high school. But I did hand sew several pillows to decorate my dorm room when I moved to college. That is the extent of my sewing career. Today, if I need anything repaired, I have my husband do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      My daughter's husband hemmed all her pants for her since she is short. And, she saw me sew almost every day of her life! She just refused to learn, yelled when I mentioned it. And, she liked what I made. I made clothing and a Wonder Woman outfit for her long distance.
      Otherwise, she pays someone to alter/hem clothing.
      Thankfully, my younger daughter wanted to learn to sew.
      My son married a woman who can sew.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.