Contact Me

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Did You Ever Do Something Incredibly Stupid?

 I cannot believe what I did! But, it all boils down to being a bit ill and a lot tired. I realized on Saturday that I was getting worse instead of better. The uti was not going away; it was returning! 

Pills were counted. There were too many left. What had I done and HOW?

So, I called the doctor on Monday and told the nurse what I had done. I offered to give another sample, anything. I was not sure if they would give me more antibiotic. 

Tuesday, I slept from 9 am until 4:30. There was no phone call from the doctor. Around 6 pm, I decided I needed another refill of a heart medication. We went down about 7:30 to get an emergency supply (3 pills) until I could figure out what happened to the prescription for the heart meds I received on the 20th. It was a surprise when the antibiotics were there, prescribed and ready. 

I came home, sat down, caught my breath and reached to the left to my table. My hand was directly above the heart med, a full prescription, 90 days. I tell you I have been sick and out of it. Certainly, this is not my normal method of taking meds. I fully believe I will get better now. 

Tommy sits with his day planner, mulling over something. Every time I ask, I think he is studying appointments or something. No. He is recording when college football games happen and who is playing. I am so glad I bought him a day planner. 

We did nothing towards Christmas decorating. Tommy pruned lots of flowers in pots. He is getting ready to put them all in the laundry room. He also washed my underwear, towels, washcloths, and nightgowns. In the freezing weather he went two more times! He must have been freezing. 

Dinner was great, all leftovers: baked chicken breast/brown rice/pimiento/broccoli, green beans, slaw. Then, I had 1/3 of the last roll Tommy was eating...lol. Plus, 6 pecans or a dozen pecan halves. 

I decided I would only have two slices of bread each day. The rice was the sub for that, so no bread today. I did have four cookies. So, sue me...lol. 

We have plans for tomorrow. It won't be raining. 

Have you ever screwed up your medicine so royally? I still have not figured out how I thought I took it and did not. No pill I have looks like it. 

I see people have snow. We are so dry, but the weather guy said we would have snow if it weren't so dry. Do you have snow? 

What was your stupid med screwup? Or, someone you know?


16 comments:

  1. My worst med screw up was when I had the cat's medication - which I only noticed when I started to give him his. I didn't give him my meds fortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      You took cat meds? Oh, no. I have found out that some animal meds are identical to ours. However, I am sure the cat does not need your dose. And,
      you don't meow now?

      Delete
  2. I have to remember to put my glasses on when I take meds and or supplements. I havent made a mistake, yet. Hope you get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      I always wear my glasses! I would probably not take the right pill if I did not. I have to wear them to see anything.

      Delete
  3. Do you also run the More Parsimony blog? I think I am confused about that. Help me get it right in my brain. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I do. Do you know how to get in touch with Persimmon Cottage or know who can tell me anything? The last I heard she had a problem with her leg, a sore that would not heal or something.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad to have that cleared up! Thank you. :)

      I've not heard about Persimmon Cottage. Have you checked with Cheryl over at Cheryl's Frugal Corner? She may know something.

      Delete
    3. Belinda,
      Thanks, I did not think of her. I will.

      Delete
  4. I take so many medications each day that this is a huge fear of mine! But the one medicine I can definitely tell if I don't take is one of my heart medications. I'm glad you are ok, in any case, and hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy,
      I cannot tell the difference if I don't take a heart med. Well, I doubt I could. Maybe I could. I am sort of feeling better, mostly lethargic, which I hate.

      Delete
  5. Linda, do you have a weekly pill container for all your meds? I love mine -- it's so helpful for taking meds/supplements on schedule. They even have containers that have 4 compartments for each day, so that you take your pills at the correct time of day.
    Here's one that's cheap and color-coded:

    https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Mediplanner-Color-Coded-See-Through-Medication/dp/B000LR9ZNK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1BQLFI7PTM1PB&keywords=pill+box+7+day+4+times+a+day&qid=1701406197&s=hpc&sprefix=4+Times+a+Day++Pill+Box%2Chpc%2C92&sr=1-2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about four of those. Eventually, some sooner than later, they quit closing tightly. Then, I fear I will spill pills.
      I have a tiny train case that I put all the pill bottles into. I put it in my laps and take out each bottle, dispensing each dose in a condiment cup. When I finish with the bottle, I put it beside me in the chair. Then, I load them back into the bag. That is why I am so baffled about not taking the antibiotic. I have been thinking about getting another one.

      Delete
    2. Good that you have a system. Maybe you need to put a sticky note on the case when you have a new, short-duration med:
      "Antibiotic for UTI! Take 11/20 --11/30!"

      Do you have a smartphone? You could set a daily (or twice daily) alarm to remind you of the new med. Just a thought.

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      No sticky notes here, no phone to remind me. I just need a keeper...lol.

      Delete
  6. I HATE filling my pill trays. Now I have about a dozen or so and I try to take a couple of hours every 6 weeks and fill up 6 WEEKS of twice daily trays (I do 8 weeks sometimes) Yes, after awhile some of the compartments loose their closing ability. I toss them and get new ones at Walmart. If I remember correctly they only cost around $1.50 each.

    In my family we call it Pill BINGO. Do you remember as a child using beans on a BINGO card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      The last cheap pill tray was so hard to get open, that I quit using it. First, I cannot open them, then soon they won't stay closed...grrr.

      Yes, I do remember using beans for BINGO.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.