Contact Me

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Grocery Deals

 Today, despite how I felt, we shopped in three grocery stores. I felt so awful, I made him come with me. I am still fuzzy-headed, in much pain, and one kidney hurts, the one I fell on. Or, maybe it is the uti. This is groceries bought this week. The store was packed like it was the day before Thanksgiving. People were after the same BOGOs I was. 

Short and sweet...

Publix

two packages of 2 deep dish Pillsbury pie crusts bogo ... $4.59 for four crusts

2 red delicious apples $2.98, so large I will only eat 1/2 each day

2 Nestles semi-sweet morsels bogo, so $4.19 for both packages

Mandarins $4.99 maybe 3 lbs

4 one-lb packages Land O Lakes butter bogo, so $14, $3.50 each lb. These were packaged in half stick.

Carrots Organic 1 lb. $2.49, not a good price, but better than anything else.

Gold Potatoes, $6.99, not a great price, either.

Yellow onions $2.99

Lakewood Cranberry juice--only cranberry, one quart and $10.99, for uti that I have antibiotic to cure.

Savings--$36.41 

Total $79.64

Piggly Wiggly

Free item--McCormick Brown Gravy mix

2 Miracle Whip $10.80, $5.40 each

Broccoli Crown $1.93, but advertised for $.99. I will have to look into this.

Turkey-sized Reynold's cooking bags

Lewis Brown and Serve Rolls. $2.03. I wanted the cheap ones like I had at home. I waited too late last year. 

60 or Better We had a minus $1.18 x 3. Not sure how that worked. So -$3.54

Total $26.97

Food Giant

BSCB $1.89/lb, so got $12.92

Coleslaw $1.99

Total $15.43

Total Spent Today $122.04

WRONG

I bought at Publix Campbell's cream of chicken and cream of mushroom, no sodium, BOGO. So, it was $.99 cents/can. Then, bag of cornmeal, and one other thing on sale. That was another $7, I think. 

So Corrected Total would be around $130. 

This is regular spending with Thanksgiving bargains thrown in. Some of it may not be eaten until Christmas or next year. 

I am too sick to go over this post. So, here it is. 

We keep chocolate chips for a snack. It beats more costly and more fattening snacks. It might take us a year to eat the two cheap bags I bought today. I keep them in a short, amber, pink jar with a drinking lid. We just open it and shake the chips out. 

Of course, I will cook the chicken to freeze. I think we will have a chicken/brown rice/broccoli casserole. We will both have the chicken/brown rice and broccoli. Tommy loves that. I will make two small casseroles so I can put cheese and pimiento in mine. Each of the tiny casseroles will have one chicken breast and will make at least two meals. 

I wanted to make pumpkin pie without the pie crust. But, Tommy really wants a pie crust. So, he gets crust which I will eat, too. 

EGGS--I forgot them. 

Feverish and shaking here. Can barely walk. Tomorrow, maybe I can relate the fall from a height and uti and maybe cardiologist visit.

We are under a burn ban, and the weird neighbors with barking dogs had a huge fire in the carport. They also have pile of junk all over the carport. I did call police. I have no idea of the outcome of that visit. The bit of rain, measured in 100 hundredths of an inch, did nothing to assuage the danger. 

Are you finding good deals for Thanksgiving? We will only buy turkey breasts. So, I am ignoring turkey deals...maybe...lol. 




11 comments:

  1. Praying you feel better soon! I wore myself out last Saturday going to just 2 stores. Deals have been meager so far this year. I thought Safeway was having a great sale after viewing the online flier yesterday morning; we went last night and NOPE. Not the same flier in store at all. It was weird. At least I didn't have to hobble around in the walking boot too long. My son who lives nearby said his local market is offering a free 3 lb. bag of sugar and $1.99 lb. butter with a $10 purchase, so he'll pick that up for me when he goes shopping. Safeway's granulated sugar was on sale for $3.99!! Did not buy any. Will check out Walmart soon. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elise,
      I was online, making a list. Somewhere along the way, I realized I had a store in Michigan instead of locally here in Alabama! And, our store had none of the good deals! I wish I had found $1.99 butter. Tommy now knows why I want to shop early.

      Delete
  2. I am not looking for deals. I am not really feeling Thanksgiving this year. I have much to be thankful for, but that does not include cooking a big dinner with tons of dishes to do! All those pots and pans...

    Linda, consider taking concentrated cranberry capsules instead of drinking cranberry juice. The capsules allow you to get a much bigger and more effective dose. And sweetened cranberry juice can't be good for your blood sugar. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I am not cooking a big meal. I am cooking as the weeks go by. Deals are good for me. Tommy washes things...lol. Besides, cooking one thing at a time over a month makes it all easier.
      The cranberry juice I bought has no sugar. We searched for the right one at Publix. This stuff knocks my head off!

      Delete
  3. Not even going to the store this week. I got a turkey breast last week and everything else i have here. It will be just me - cooking after the holiday. I am going to family for the day.
    Take care a stay home a get rest!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Actually, we had almost everything we needed and most is already cooked and frozen. But, good prices will still work for food for Christmas or next year. So, it was not a matter of getting what we needed now, at least, not most of it.

      Delete
  4. Holidays can be a lot of work -cleaning, shopping, and cooking so take care of yourself. You got some great deals! No free turkey deals here but we did get some great deals. Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have almost everything cooked and frozen, ready to thaw and eat. Cleaning? What's that? This place has not been dusted in 8 months because I cannot lift things or bend to do it. Thanks! It will be a good holiday.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy snacking on chocolate chips too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK, here our stores and shops are getting in full swing for Christmas. There are some good deals around, just need to keep your eye on special offers and deals.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why you don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Deals are good. We all have to keep ours eyes open for those.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.