Contact Me

Sunday, November 5, 2023

Bulbs, Pansies, Cooking, DST

 



The new turkey decoration made of resin and about 10 inches tall. It sits atop a bunch of fall leaves. 

Today is very warm, so Tommy took the lemon and lime tree outdoors after they had been indoors during the cold snap. He said that a bee was settling on a flower as soon as he put it down. Good job, bees. While reading about citrus trees, the article said to just take a finger and wiggle it on the center of the flower, that was enough to pollinate a flower as they do not need to be cross-pollinate with another flower. Good to know. 

Oh, the lime tree has a blossom. I read about how fragrant lemon blossoms are, but we cannot smell them. He brought the trees in, it went past me, stayed in a room where I went, and came back past me--no fragrance. Well, I left by the front door and wondered what the heavenly, soft fragrance could be. I stepped over to the lemon tree, pulled a branch toward me and was pleasantly surprised at the frangrant blossom I had to my nose. This is such a lovely surprise!

The black-eyed peas are done. I will put a few in the freezer for NYE in case I am overwhelmed when we need them. Otherwise, they are ready to eat. So, that makes sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, turkey breast, broth, black-eyed peas for Thanksgiving and NYE in the freezer. 

Right now, I have eggs in to boil so I can make tuna salad. 

We left for Lowe's about 3:30, needing to return something to DG. Well, by 5 pm, just after coming out of Lowe's, it was too dark to be out, so we came home. The early dusk are actually worse than the cold where I need more clothes. I have Purple Prince tulips and daffodils to plant together, interspersing them in in a planter. They are beautiful in the spring. My concrete bunny needed pansies, so I bought bright yellow. 

I miss Daylight Saving Time. Do you?

As I came up the ramp a few days ago, I noticed a hanging planter that was smashed. I asked Tommy how that happened. He said he had to squeeze the heavy plastic pot to get the dirt out. When I asked him to explain, he said the dirt was so hard he could not get it out, so he squeezed the pot to break it up. Now, there is a pot on the porch with two tools for dirt--a little rake and a trowel. AND, he knows where they are and has used them. Plus, I pointed out that water loosens dirt. That made me so angry. I am not sure if the hanger part with the hook can be put onto another pot or not. I will try. Maybe the pot is crushed but not completely apart and will still hold dirt. I don't know why he does these things. 

At Lowe's I was going to buy brown spray paint to paint a base to elevate the turkey because it is too low. But, I was not going to pay $7 for brown paint, the cheapest they had, something I cannot imagine ever using again. I do believe I have brown construction paper from a pack bought for red paper. I will cut that and tape around books to achieve the look I want. I do have black paint, so I can use that. But, I had my heart set on a brown base. Really, I wanted a piece of a tree limb or trunk about 6" high. 

Now, I have to cook pork chops and the nine bscb I planned to cook yesterday. Okay, I put the five pork chops in a pan with trimmed Brussels sprouts. We have leftover vegetables--carrots, potatoes, and cole slaw to eat with this.

I always fried pork chops in a cast iron skillet and they were delicious. But, in the oven the did not brown, so there was not that delicious taste gotten with browing in cast iron. 

It is wonderful outdoors, 75F at 3:30. Okay, now it is cooler out at dusk. I could be happy with these temps all year. It will be warmer later this week or next, forgot which. 

Do you miss DST?

What flower besides pansies can be grown this winter in my concrete bunny? Some are too tall. Pansies are just right because the flowers cannot be too tall.

How do you cook pork chops?  


12 comments:

  1. I totally despise this time change. I do not like the dark so early. Lots of cooking at your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      The early dark is so disruptive to me. The cooking works to keep us out of the kitchen so much.

      Delete
  2. No ... I hate DST . messes up my health every time. To me then just need to leave it at Standard time and quit playing. The crap about kids playing after school is just that crap. Kids are either doing homework or online. Ones that play sports are at practice right after school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Linda! It's been a long time since I've made it over to your blog and enjoyed reading today's post very much! The lemon and lime trees sounds lovely! I've never seen or experiened, either. I love the way you are cooking ahead and freezing for the holiday season! It will be so nice being that far ahead when the time comes. I do that a lot just in general, but have never really thought about it for holiday meals. You've got my wheels turning!!! I hate to say it out loud, but, no, I don't miss daylight savings time one bit. I'd be thrilled if they'd just quit the time change altogether and let us stay on REAL time. I do so much better with the natural rhythm of the day and night in winter and never truly adjust to DST all summer long. I haven't made pork chops in years, but, growing up, my mom always fried them in the cast-iron skillet...which I loved...but, after the kids were bigger and I was having to cook so many of them, I just started baking them. I honestly couldn't tell you when the last time I made a pork chop was, but, at this moment, it's sounding awfully tasty! I might have to buy a small pack and just make me one sometime! I hope your Monday is going well and that you have a great week ahead! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca.
    This is my first experience of lemon and lime trees, too. I would not be able to buy one when they came into Lowe's, then a week later when I had money, the lemon trees would all be gone!
    That is how my mother cooked pork chops and so did I. I just cannot stand at the stove and don't trust Tommy to cook them. They were good, not like I prefer them.
    I have cooked ahead for Thanksgiving, but never this much food. It is just the two of us, so this is not because there will be lots of people to feed. Even if we went out to eat, I would want leftovers.
    Thanks for the warm wishes.

    Since I have been here, I seemed to miss them entirely. Well, I did find Meyer lemons, what I wanted, at a nursery that were $85. I just waited until this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you, Linda! I love having plenty of leftovers...especially on Thanksgiving!

      Delete
    2. Rebecca,
      No leftovers would be a letdown. It would be like Thanksgiving ended too early.

      Delete
  5. Cute turkey! Put it on a stack of books to elevate it. It's a tried and true interior design trick. And will look so much nicer than a bowl.

    How great to hear that your lemon and lime trees are blooming! Those lemon blossoms are so wonderfully fragrant. Is the lime a fragrant bloomer, too?

    My poor lemon is struggling right now (and those dang lemons are still 100% green as limes!) even though I recently fertilized it. I finally broke down and ordered a grow light to try to get it through the winter. As soon as the lemons are ripe, I will repot it and hope for the best. Still thinking I might need a key lime tree for Xmas...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I have used books to elevate for years. But, this did not look okay on books. The bowl disappears.

      There is only one blossom on the lime tree, and it is way down on the bottom, so I have not sniffed it yet.

      A grow light sounds like a great idea. If you have a Lowe's, lemons and limes are on sale right now. Maybe I will get my trees a grow light for their shared Christmas present.

      Delete
  6. I have unripe fruit on my Meyer lemons and Key/Mexican lime bushes. The Meyer Lemon is very prolific. One thing to know about lime bushes. They have THORNS. Really pokey thorns. I looked it up and discovered that all citrus trees/bushes have thorns but the only ones I have noticed and been bothered by are on the lime.

    The time change does make me and my old body confused and tired. However I think that what I actually dislike is the darkness that this time of year brings. The time change seems to intensify the the effect but even without the time change I believe I would still dislike the long dark days that Autumn/Winter bring.

    Just like you and my Mother I like porkchops cooked in a cast iron pan. Lately I have been buying boneless pork chops at Costco. I personally think that they are very difficult to cook and have them be tender. What I do is trim the edges, slice them horizontally, then pound them out very thin. I then freeze them and pull them out as needed. After seasoning them I bread them with flour, egg and panko breadcrumbs then shallow fry them. I serve them with a wedge of lemon just as you would serve Schnitzel. They also make a delicious pounded pork sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet,
    I have never seen thorns on my Meyer Lemon. And, the Lime advertises no thorns. This is all new to me.

    Oh, I know the dark and gloom is what I hate, hate, HATE. I feel so dreary and down.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.