Contact Me

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Product Review: UPDATE

For two months, I have been trying a sample of a toothpaste my dentist gave me. The tiny sample lasted two months because I don't use a lot of toothpaste when I brush. Actually, I need to cut the tiny tube open to get the remainder.

Crest 3D White
Whitening Therapy
Enamel Care

Pros
For the past three months, the toothpaste has worked well. (I bought a new tube last month,)My teeth are definitely whiter, not sparkling, but not stained, either. Since many foods can cause staining, and I am not willing to give them up, this is a good solution.

Teeth whitening from the drugstore or at the dentist' office is prohibitively expensive. The toothpaste is not cheap but less expensive than whitening products.

Cons
Speaking of the cost, this toothpaste is $7 for the tube. My toothpaste for at least the last ten years has been free or a quarter for a tube, a much larger tube.

The texture was off-putting at first. It sort of looks slimy. I cannot easily get the toothpaste to cut itself off. It wants to leave a string of toothpaste. I usually put the toothpaste on the toothbrush and then pull the tube away. It cuts off. This doesn't. Well, I finally figured out how to get it to cut off the string of toothpaste.

It also feels a bit slimy. But, that is not a problem, just a different texture than I have used. For a whitening product, I am surprised the product is not really all that white and it looks a bit translucent.

The taste is okay.

ADDED:
T'Pol commented whitening toothpastes made her teeth sensitive. I had noticed mine were sensitive, too, but did not connect the pain to toothpaste.

Summary
The cost is the biggest problem. It works.  No one is paying for this review. Sensitive teeth is also a problem.

A thought
I will start brushing with this toothpaste once a day and use a cheaper tube for the subsequent times I brush during the day.

Has anyone tried this toothpaste--Crest whitening? Do you have another whitening toothpaste that you would recommend? Have you tried a whitening toothpaste that does not work?

8 comments:

  1. Used a sample from my dentist. Like you, I found the texture off-putting. Due to the cost I will not buy it but will continue with my regular Crest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      I wondered if it were just me with the texture. The sample lasted two months, so this tube should last until my next cleaning. By using 1/3 as much, maybe I will only have to invest in this one a year. Maybe I will never buy it again. Thanks for your opinion.

      Delete
  2. Whitening toothpastes make my teeth get more sensitive and I do not like that. So, each week, at least once or twice, I brush my teeth with baking soda. It tastes terrible but works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'Pol,
      My teeth became sensitive all of a sudden right after I started using this toothpaste, the first whitening one I have ever used. Thanks for the information. I will add it to the post.

      Delete
    2. Have either of you tried mixing the baking soda in with your regular tooth paste? I have not, but I my teeth are already sensitive, so I won't use whiting, but I have noticed the coffee staining. Plain baking soda I cannot handle, so I thought maybe to mix it.

      Delete
    3. Jennifer,
      When I told my dentist I was using baking soda and salt instead of toothpaste, he told me to quit, that I would wear away my enamel. He said to only use it once every two weeks if I HAD to use baking soda at all. I quit, but cannot stand my teeth to have yellow stains. Now, they are a pleasant shade of offwhite...lol.

      Delete
  3. I don't recall what toothpaste I am using. I don't think it is constant. I like 'whitening' in the label. I concur one only needs a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      Now that I know this is what makes my teeth and gums hurt so, I may just stick to white foods and drink no more tea or eat chicken with spices to brown it. Gah....Maybe once a day with whitening toothpaste and the other two times brush with other toothpaste.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.