Contact Me

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Water Bill? Why?



Written on Wednesday

When the utility bill arrived, I was horrified it was almost $400. I just put it down, very discouraged. Plus, I was driving. Later, I analyzed it and was disheartened.

Remember, my utility bill includes: electricity, Utility tax, sewer, water, and utility tax. I wonder why two taxes. With this, I get garbage pickup, recycling pickup, leaf truck, limb truck, and another truck, forgot what. Of course, the water work from yard to road cost nothing.

Each unit equals 100 gallons. One year ago, I used an average of 61 units per day. Last month, I used an average of 19 units per day. This past month I used 166 units. This news is not good. So, wondering if the water problem from September was still with me, I called for help.

Thinking here after I wrote this post, how on earth can I use 61x100 gals of water a day? 6100 gals. There is only me, a dishwasher, washer and commode using water. 

The meter was read on Jan 9th, so the running of water inside my house to keep pipes from freezing was not in this bill.

I asked a Water Board guy if someone could check to see if I have a leak. My water meter cover is about 2.5' long and wide and heavy, so I cannot lift it. He came to the house today, and there was not a drop going through the meter. He is puzzled, too. He looked over my bill and then read my meter.

So, I am depending on him to figure out where water is going and why it does not show a leak.  It is a mystery to me. Plus, it is very discouraging. He was puzzled.

Have you ever had this happen to you? What can you suggest this might be?

By the way, I feel so much better!

Remember, I use little water. Plus, water is going somewhere because I am charged for it. However, the water meter shows I do not have a leak.

Written on Thursday

I felt worse during the night because I did too much yesterday. Exbf was amenable not to come this week. He will come next week.

Besides being tired and hurting, last night, the room was too warm. After I turned off the heat, I slept well. Now, the room is a little chilly. However, outdoors the day is warm with the slightest breeze and a blazing sun. That is heartening. I am calling it on winter. Maybe I can ignore the freeze that is predicted late next week.  I won't fret about that as I can wear my sandals now in the 56 F weather.

Several times this last week, I had looked for the half of the last turkey breast that was cooked and in the freezer. I had no luck. Today, there it was, front and center! How do these things shift themselves around in the freezer and the refrigerator?

12 comments:

  1. I know when we got bills that high in the past, it was because the meterman did NOT come and check that month. The water company just took an average and billed that. We had to pay it, then it caught up the next month. I don't know if that is what happened, but it sounds like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      Hopefully, that is the problem. I didn't think of that. They are nice here, so if that was the problem, hopefully it will come off this time and not next month. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. My water bill averages about 4700 gallons per month and that is for 2 of us. I hope they figure out what the problem is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Fam,
      There is a problem, for sure since 2300 was my usage last year. Me too. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. If you were a Birmingham Water Works consumer I could understand it. They have been grossly over billing customers for about a year and you have to jump through hoops to get everything straightened. One of my friends ( A widow who lives alone) had a 700 water bill for just 1 month. Took her a year to get everything corrected. Hope things move quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is a nightmare. I could not survive a year, after having paid out that kind of money. I vaguely remember some of this in Birmingham on the news. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. How awful! My water bill is always pretty much the same- $16 a month- but I'm on septic so no sewer charge. Electric was $74 so I can't complain. Garbage/debris pick up is part of pour property taxes and paid on that bill. Good luck getting it straightened out. Are you feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAN,
      Your costs are really low. Usually, my water is about $30 and about the same for the sewer. Thank you, I am feeling much better.

      Delete
  5. I hope it is an error that is going to be easily fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'Pol,
      Thanks. I certainly hope so. Now that has been brought to the attention of the right person, I feel hopeful.

      Delete
  6. You sound to have a case of the Cup Fairies or their ilk. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      Thanks. What do I do now? offering, threats, homage???

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.