Contact Me

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Hand Tongs

It is not often that exbf goes into the silly or playful mode. However, he had commented that he prefers the little boxes of raisins because he can dump the contents into his mouth without getting his fingers sticky.

When I was in WM, I saw hand tongs. These are five inches long with a silicone "hand." The hand is like an outstretched hand, green silicone, sort of silly looking. Well, for less that $2 they looked perfect for his purpose.

I showed the little utensil to him and told him I bought it for his raisin eating.  He took them, looking interested and snapped them where the hands clapped and chuckled. "This would be good for my peanuts...and crackers....and chips." He was smiling broadly, something he rarely does. So, I know he approves.

Normally, he is not up for new things I buy him, saying I should not have spent my money on the item because I should not spend my money on him or I should not have spent money on the item.

So, now he has something to keep his hands clean. I am laughing as I type, thinking of him eating with Green-apple colored hand tongs.

One day, about 8 years ago, he came out of the basement and said he had found a shield. He was wearing a little round, metal disc for riding on the snow. He was walking around, fending off enemies. It was so cute. I am not making fun of him about the tongs or the sled since both actions were endearing.

When I had two-inch diameter wisteria vines hanging from the hickory nut tree, any guy who passed it took a Tarzan swing on it. Guys easily revert to little boys. Do you have a guy around who takes advantage of play opportunities? A guy cut a long straight limb into a five-foot stick to use at his place. He came out of bushes a ninja master...made me laugh.

Yesterday, I made a mistake. I turned off the heater as I left the house. Outdoors, the wind was raging, cutting right through what I considered to be warm enough clothing. I think I was gone three hours. When I came home, the house was beyond frigid. I did something I rarely do--turned the heater to its maximum.

I arrived home at about 7:30 pm. I awoke at 4 am and had to turn the heat way down. Now, at 7 am, I am becoming chilly. But, a blanket around my shoulders will suffice. This next electric bill will be horrendous.

As I lay here before I got up, the trees were full of tiny birds flitting in and out of the trees outside the window in my yard. Once they land, they fly away again to a different limb or out of sight. There must have been a hundred in the small area. I don't know what kind of birds they are, but they are so tiny. I wonder what they are. By 7 am, they were all gone.

It is time for a big bowl of hot oats with raisins, sugar, and Country Crock. I gave up on butter in my oats. I know it is better for me. I know I should eat it instead of Country Crock. However, my oats are not good with butter. I have switched to butter for everything else!

Your turn
What kind of birds could these be, tiny and seen at dawn? What little-boy play have you observed in grown men?

11 comments:

  1. Little boy play...you just reminded me of a post to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will watch for it. You are welcome...lol.

      Delete
  2. I once lived next to a house where one wall was covered with vines. There were little sparrows that would gather in the vines, flitting back and forth, making a racket. Then they would decide to fly off, all of them at once. They were fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki,
      That is what these do. They are the tiniest sparrows I have ever seen if they are sparrows. These did all leave at once.

      Delete
  3. The last two power bills (electric and gas together) were within two dollars of each other. The last one was $287 and change. We live just south of Seattle. Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last bill that includes everything was $160. The next will be three times that, I suspect.

      Delete
  4. We have hummingbirds with all their usual attributes.
    As for little boy play - I see this continually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I have see one hummingbird here. And, where do you see this little boy play? Home, office?

      Delete
    2. at the office; I tell patients to knock it off/grow up (but not in those words).

      Delete
  5. As a grown @$$ man, I can tell you that we frequently revert to boys. It's in our nature. Give me something to swing on, and I'm a kid again. A new toy for a relative, you'll have to pry it out of my hands first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st man,
      I suspect a lot of this goes on from listening to men. I have always feared these wisteria vines would give way. good for you and all guys who have the little boy in them and let it play. I have seen the toys played with before being given.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.