Contact Me

Monday, January 15, 2018

Ballistic Missile Threat

As I watched the video of people running for their lives after the ballistic missile attack threat was broadcast in Hawaii, I cried. I think that was a video of a campus. The people thought they would die. I imagine my children running like that.  As I thought about it, I wondered what ramifications were evident even after the threat was exposed as false.

Jim Carrey said he thought he would be dead in ten minutes. At the moment I read that, I realized how soon people thought they would die without proper cover or a direct hit. I wondered how many people suffered even though the event never happened. I thought of my own situation.

Mostly, we on the mainland just breathed a sigh of relief and went about our lives. I did that at first. But, what happened when the people in Hawaii realized the attack was not going to happen right then? I wondered and was appalled.

How many people had or will have heart attacks from the anxiety and strain on their hearts? How many people have and will suffer more with their chronic conditions? I know that stress for diabetics can be unhealthy. Many other diseases cannot stand the stress of this kind of warning.

Did anyone commit suicide in the despair of an imminent attack? What kind of problems do psychiatrists hear that were caused by the news? Has anyone's life been derailed by the unfortunate mistake of the coming attack? How many people have gone off their diets or whatever measures they were taking to improve their health? Did people start drinking or doing drugs again? Did they just spin out of control with their already bad habits?

I wonder about the human social fallout. Do people not allow their children or families out of their sight? Are they anxious when everyone is not in one place? How do children cope?

I wonder if people are at a higher alert considering their homes or workplaces. Are people fortifying their homes? Will construction reflect more measures to avoid fallout? How many workplaces think about providing underground shelters? Will the area stand underground construction?

How many people have started supplying their home with food and water? Is the sale of Geiger counters rising? Has the sale of potassium iodide tablets risen?

At some point, at many points, I thought about how this news has affected us on the mainland far from Hawaii. It has only raised questions about my safety in case of a nuclear attack. I sit facing a wall of windows and have little chance of escaping the danger where I live in my house. I have a basement that is spacious, dirty, damp, and has many windows installed in the one foot thick rock walls. I doubt I would survive much better down there. Asthma would get me as soon as radiation! I am not capable of sufficiently covering the windows that sort of negate one foot of protection!

I don't have potassium iodide tablets. I wonder if Hawaiians have them on hand more than we do.

Don't say children are mostly too young to worry long term if their parents are calm. When I was four, I worried about the cold war.  This worry went on for years even though my parents assured me there would be no war. I wondered just how cold a war could be. How much cold would kill me? Then, when I was eight, I worried because we did not have a bomb shelter. These worries were not short-lived. They lasted for years, probably even to now, even to a time and space that I should not worry.

Are you prepared for a ballistic missile threat? Do you have a place safe from fallout? Do you have food and water stored? Do you have potassium iodide tablets and know how and when to use them? Of course, if you are prepared for natural disasters, you have some preparation for a ballistic missile attack.

There are a lot of questions in this post. What are your thoughts?

Are you prepared?

12 comments:

  1. I look at this as one of those things I have zero control over. I am not sure I would want to survive an intensive attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I believe we all have some control. Probably, you would rethink your position on survival if you were faced with it immediately. And, this is not an argument. Thank you for an honest response.

      Delete
  2. Echoing Anne. I am (finally) getting better at not worrying (much) about the things I cannot control or influence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC.
      Actually, there are things you can control and influence your survival. Having plenty of water would be a major issue. There are other places to tell a person what they need to survive or stay out of major danger. Thank you for answering.

      Delete
  3. I didn't see any TV / media about this, only from what was spoken about ... but it is quite hard to imagine what these people must have thought, and the after effects they may still be experiencing.

    I must say I've never given too much thought to being in a situation like this ... perhaps I should.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Perhaps you should. At least be prepared for what the most likely catastrophe in your area could be. I live in tornado alley in Alabama. So, what I need to be prepared here is much less than a person in Hawaii who could face an armed missile.

      I saw people putting their small children down into sewers via manhole covers. That will make you think.

      Delete
  4. I have no preparations, nowhere to hide, no extra water or food, no potassium iodide etc

    I can't imagine what our most likely catastrophe would be but my sister who is just a ten minute drive away, has a bag of important papers etc packed at all times, ready for bushfire season.

    I didn't think a lot about the missile mistake, by the time I heard about it, it was all over but you have listed a lot of very valid concerns about the human cost. Maybe there are news reports somewhere that would cover the implications for hawaiians

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I am no means as prepared as I should be! I am not so concerned about needing potassium iodide. I should be concerned. We all do what we can. We all need to be at least informed so we can make an informed decision if we decide to prepare for some catastrophe.

      Maybe you should pack papers and pictures if your sister is so close and threatened by bushfire season.

      Thank you for responding.

      Delete
  5. I prep for certain things. But a nuclear attack. I just hope the first one they shoot off is right over my house. We will all be grubbing for worms if there is an exchange of things. I dont worry about those. Other stuff yes and I prep. Missles.. Nope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GoFgure,
      I can certainly appreciate the wish the blast would just take you to begin with. However, if you are at a distance and can survive with water and food, it would certainly be worth a bit of preparation. Thank you for responding.

      Delete
  6. We're prepared for a hurricane, power outages of more than 24 hours. We've been thru a tornado, just the edges but it did do some damage to the neighborhood, an earthquake that was very minor with no damage. Kept an eye on an active volcano in Sicily that was visible from our front door, would sometimes get ash from it. Have not been thru a wildfire or a flood. That said, at all times we have a quick to grab box of important papers, a case of bottled water and a couple of boxes of meal replacement bars that we'd grab. During hurricane season we also have our 'get out of Dodge' bags ready to go with clothes, medicines, personal care items and our Ipads that we can charge in the car.

    There is nothing we own that is so important that we would risk our lives by not heeding warnings. A nuclear attack would be one thing we could do very little, if anything, about. That belief comes from my hubby's military education. In the meantime we'll prep for the most likely scenarios of catastrophe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bellen,
    You certainly have experience is catastrophes! Thank you got giving this explanation. Life is the most important thing. Thank you for responding.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.